Routing errors in London

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Routing errors in London

Postby dknight212 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:44 am

We are picking up quite a few routing errors in London at the moment. In particular routing from S or SW London to N or NW London seems to throw up problems. Some of these may be time dependent. Please can we collect any issues on this in this thread so we can see where the problems are arising. I had a few URs where I was tracking them but some very kind visitors to London have marked them as solved.

I have suspicions that both the A406 North Circular and A10 are involved somehow but no proof. there may be a map problem or some issue with Waze's algorithms on particular routes.

If anyone wants to do some debugging please do! I'm pulling my hair out at the moment, and it's my last one.

Example routes that seem to fail (on live map):

Sutton to Cockfosters
Tooting to Hoddesdon

This route was failing the other day but seems to be working at the moment

Chelsea to Hoddesdon
dknight212

Re: Routing errors in London

Postby iainhouse » Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Time for an update - and we are now pretty confident that the problem is resolved. :D

Our resident genius, Timbones, has been monitoring several cross-London routes for a few weeks by placing routing requests through the livemap and recording the results. They've pretty much all shown the same pattern, with a failure to return routes during morning and evening rush hours.

Below is the graph for the last 5 days on a route from Cheshunt to Wandsworth

Wandsworth-Cheshunt2.jpg
Cheshunt -> Wandsworth
(75.9 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

As a London driver, I would agree with the routing choices: during peak hours, the North Circular can be pretty jammed, so the preferred route tends to be via the M25. As traffic lets up, particularly late at night, the North Circular is the better choice.

You can see the tail end of the failure period for Wednesday evening. The fix was implemented Thursday morning (we think that's why the routing servers were down for a while). Since then, routing has been almost entirely successful at all times of day.

We (the Country Admins) have speculated endlessly on the cause of the problem and the nature of the fix. I'm sure you have as well, but we don't have any answers. It's understandable that the routing algorithms are part of Waze's proprietary intellectual property, so we don't really expect to be told much detail.

What I can tell you is that this is a problem that hasn't just affected London. It is a problem with the routing and is not due to any particular map problem. What Waze have currently done is implemented a change to work around this problem rather than change the routing algorithms, so there may be further developments at some point in the future.

I'd like to thank you all for your patience with this issue. Please remember that most of the work on pushing this issue was done by dknight212 and I've only taken over in time to pick up the glory! :lol: I'm sure he'll pop by to see what's happening.

If you have any feedback, please continue to post in this thread - whether you are still seeing routing problems across London, or, indeed, have experienced a marked improvement.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Superfraggle » Thu May 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Well up until recently livemap used to tell you it couldn't route more than 500 miles.

But I just got this error instead now "Whoa! We can only provide routes under 1000 miles at this point. We're working on increasing it"

EDIT: I just managed a route from Dover to Glasgow, which is 499 miles ....

EDIT2: 535.86 miles 8 h 5 min Just a bit further north of glasgow, I think its a combination of length and complexity.

Certainly in the US I managed 900 odd mile route, but it was pretty much one road
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 pm

woodvale wrote:Isn't there a limit of 500 miles for routing?

I had a chance to test this recently - and there isn't.

I was on holiday in the Highlands, about 650 miles from home. Experience tells me that I cannot route the entire trip whenever I'm travelling - fortunately I normally stop overnight at Scotch Corner or Carlisle. Even then, I sometimes have trouble routing from London to Scotch Corner.

Whilst I was away, I happened to try routing back home to London at about 2am - and I got a route for the whole 650 miles. I managed to do this several times in the very early hours of the morning, but not at all during the daytime. Bear in mind also, that we're on a ROW server - so it's not necessarily true that, when the UK load on the server is minimal, the overall load is minimal.

That suggests to me that the inability to route over 500 miles is more due to route calculation timing out than distance. It just happens that routes over 500 miles nearly always time out.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby woodvale » Thu May 15, 2014 9:46 pm

CTCNetwork wrote:Given they still cannot route from Nottingham to John o' Groats midday (or late at night!) I suspect this is a server capacity issue.

554 miles, according to Google Maps. Isn't there a limit of 500 miles for routing?
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CTCNetwork » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi,

Given they still cannot route from Nottingham to John o' Groats midday (or late at night!) I suspect this is a server capacity issue.
until such time as they give each country a routing server (and maybe a map server?), virtual or otherwise, this problem is NOT going to go away. It is a question of resource.
I was wondering how many servers you could by for a billion... :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby Superfraggle » Thu May 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Sorry, I really need to stop reading the cliffs notes of every post :D
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Thu May 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Superfraggle wrote:do we know what they did, or only that they did something?

iainhouse wrote:It's way too early to say the problem is fixed or provide more details.

;)

NorfolkMustard wrote:That's why it couldn't connect to the routing server early this morning about 7:30.

That's our guess too, although we don't have any definite information.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby nickdavies » Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 pm

It was fine again tonight, 5:30pm, SW7 to near Reigate. Maybe they've got it licked touch wood?
nickdavies

Postby NorfolkMustard » Thu May 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Ah. That's why it couldn't connect to the routing server early this morning about 7:30. I ended up using google maps, which I must say has a very clear voice.
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to United Kingdom