Routing errors in London

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: Routing errors in London

Postby Twister-UK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 am

Early results from the first bit of script-o-matic testing...

Routing from my old favourite, Games Lane in Cockfosters (51.65501626,-0.156668998) down to the B219 in Peckham Rye (51.45954977,-0.06766258), logging started at 23:00 yesterday, with the script requesting a recalculation of the route (approximately) every minute.

This is a plot of the route distances (blue = quickest, red = shortest) against time. Where the plot background changes to yellow, this indicates results where the two routes differ in their endpoints. For each result, the shortest route always reached the requested endpoint, so differences in the endpoints are entirely due to the quickest route failing to reach that endpoint. Whilst checking the progress of the script this morning, I could see on the Livemap window that the quickest route was falling well short of the endpoint - there was clear space between the two endpoint marker flags. I could also see that, at one or more points along the route, Livemap was reporting heavy traffic, whereas when I kicked off the test last night the map was clear of traffic issues.

Interesting also to note that period between 01:00 and 02:30ish where the quickest route manages to shed around 10 miles yet still reach the destination correctly.

I left the script running this morning, so fingers crossed we should end up with a full 24-hour log of this route later tonight...
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
Waze App 3.9.9.0, not about to switch to 4.x any time soon...
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dknight212 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 am

A-MAZ-ING
dknight212

Postby Twister-UK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 am

Bit of GIMPing (doesn't sound nearly as cool as Photoshopping...) gives us a mapped out view of all the endpoints for the above data

The red dot shows the true endpoint (it appears I actually set it to a side road just off the B219, rather than the B219 itself...), and the blue dots show all of the incorrectly generated endpoints for the quickest routes within the yellow area of the earlier plot.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby seriousarsonist » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 am

That's really very cool indeed!
Image Image Image
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland Image Image

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:42 am

Twister_UK wrote:I left the script running this morning, so fingers crossed we should end up with a full 24-hour log of this route later tonight...

Sadly, script-o-matic Mk.1 was quickly hacked together in such a way that, if Livemap failed to return any routes, it'd require manual intervention to continue logging, and at just after 8am yesterday Livemap, not unexpectedly, failed to return any routes...

The all new and improved script-o-matic Mk.2 (cleans whiter than white, with 33% fewer calories, using the latest nanoparticle formulation) should now be able to resume logging automatically once valid routes are available again. It's been running on the same route since just before midnight yesterday, so at the very least I'll be able to compare the early morning results for two consecutive weekdays - be interesting to see if that 01:00-02:30 route shortening occurs again.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Too impatient to wait until after midnight to see the full set of results from today, so here's a sneak preview... Same start and endpoints as yesterday.

As with yesterdays testing, the shortest route always reached the intended endpoint (where Livemap returned routes), and its distance only varied slightly every now and again, so I haven't bothered plotting that one this time. The above plot concentrates on the quickest route results where, as we saw yesterday, things tend to go awry.

Once again, the yellow regions of the plot shows where the route fell short of the endpoint. Unlike yesterday, we now also have data to show where Livemap failed to return any results, these are the red regions. There's one very slender red region just after 08:00 (which pretty much coincides with when the logging fell over yesterday...), then a slightly wider region around noon, and then from just after 15:00 through to almost 19:00 the routing engine was almost entirely incapable of returning any routes - there's just that very brief period around 15:30 where a single incomplete route is generated... Once the routes start to be reliably generated again just before 19:00, they remain incomplete until just after 20:00 where they seem to return to normality again.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Full 24-hour results have now been processed...

As expected, beyond 20:00 nothing of interest occurred, with Livemap returning complete routes each time.

Of the 1440 routing requests placed, 554 resulted in incomplete routes and 214 resulted in no routes.
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:06 am

And a plot of all the endpoints...

Lots of similarities with the endpoint positions from the first test
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby seriousarsonist » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:47 am

That's quite a spread, are we looking at major back end routing problems?

NI area manager
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.2 not jail broken
Image Image Image
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland Image Image

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby woodvale » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 pm

The information that Twister is producing is wonderful, and I have no idea how it's done :? I do hope it leads to an early resolution of the problem.

Meantime, URs continue to be raised containing postcodes or addresses, presumably failed routing searches. Do we want to keep these for further evidence, or close them?

There also appears to be a spate of "off and on" routings at M25 junctions south of London (I haven't looked elsewhere 'cos that's outside my area), with two in the last three days at J6, Godstone. Are these likely to be related? I know it shouldn't happen - in the US, it appears to be illegal - but it does. Is there a known solution to this problem?

[EDIT - grammatical correction]
John
woodvale Local Champ, AM South London, Wessex, S Wales, Jamaica
Latest Waze on Galaxy S7 Android 6.0.1
Waze FAQ UK wiki UK Forum
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom