Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

How to get a "keep right"? (A217 Reigate Hill)

Post by ditchi56
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 79&env=row

I'm trying to get Waze to issue keep left / keep right instructions at this split. The keep left is working, but not the keep right. What do I have to do to get it work? (I've already created a fake name change).

PS I foresee some comments along the lines of, why do I want a keep right when continuing on the same road? The reason is that the two-lane dual carriageway splits into two separate single lanes heading in different directions. In my opinion the signage is inadequate, so people are taken by surprise, and end up changing lanes at the last minute or even taking the wrong road. (There is plenty of paint in the road, which is fine in daylight and dry, but next to useless on a wet night.) Therefore I think it appropriate for Waze to issue a keep right prompt when continuing on the main road.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5

POSTER_ID:7741216

Send a message

Post by ditchi56
So I need to make the first 10m of Gatton Bottom a "minor highway"?

And can I put the "Reigate Hill" back on the approach segment, or does it need to stay with a different name from the rest of it's road?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I think that the two roads at the split need to be of the same type. I'm sure that one of the brainy lot will point out if I'm wrong on this.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
What I do, and I know I differ from others on this (as so many other things), is to put in two very short (1m) blank segments at the split. That way you don't need to mess around with fake names and most editors should notice that the junction is an oddity and needs to be treated with care. My problem with fake names is that sooner or later someone will come along and rename it. Of course, the same will apply to blanks, so here's my foot, oops just shot it.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by Moley_uk
Just been that way with directions turned on and you now get the correct keep right to head down Reigate Hill. Looks like that's done the trick.
Moley_uk
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
AM for Guildford, Dorking, Reigate, Woking and most of Surrey and East Hampshire.
[img]https:///F30V6O[/img] [img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
UK Wiki Current status

Post by Timbones
dknight212 wrote:What I do ... is to put in two very short (1m) blank segments at the split. That way you don't need to mess around with fake names and most editors should notice that the junction is an oddity and needs to be treated with care.
That's what I would do too. Waze will read the name of the next next segment instead, so you'll see:
  • Keep left to Gatton Bottom
  • Keep right to A217 (S) - Reigate Hill
See the Junction Style Guide for more information on Highway/Freeway splits.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries