Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Mysterious routing A272/A24 junction Sussex

Post by ditchi56
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... 16&env=row

The A272/A24 junction generates a steady trickle of UR's from people travelling west on the A272 and then north up the A24.

The obvious route is to stay on the A272 up to the A24 junction, and turn right.

However, Waze frequently (always?) directs people to turn south down Park Ln about a mile before the A24, then west along the B2135, and north up the A24. This is a longer, and usualy slower route.

This is a fairly recent innovation, Waze used to to tell people to follow the A272 up to the A24 junction, turn left and then do a U-turn. It switched to the Park Lane route after I blocked off the U-turn.

This makes me think that there is something wrong with the A272/A24 junction itself. However, it's not that Waze won't ever direct people to turn right there, it just seems to prefer to avoid doing so.

There are sometimes tailbacks along the A272 from this junction, but not often enough to justify Waze avoiding it altogether. And when traffic is busy, the better option to wait your turn at the traffic lights at the A272 junction; the uncontrolled B2135 junction is likely to have a tailback too.

Can somebody explain this perverse routing and find a way of stopping it?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5

POSTER_ID:7741216

Send a message

Post by ditchi56
I must apologise, I hadn't realised that I could get timing information out of livemap at different times until you prompted me to go and look. :oops:

At least I now understand why Waze is picking this route. Do I think it's right? Well I'd be surprised if taking a turn at traffic lights was so much slower than an unassisted right turn onto a busy dual carriageway.

I must admit to starting with a prejudice that Waze would be wrong, based on the fact that it used to recommend a left turn followed by a U-turn - I can't see how that could ever have been faster. And as I said, it generates a steady trickle of UR's, although I accept this doesn't mean that the route recommended is actually wrong.

I must go and have a look next time I'm down that way; although I do pass through this junction from time to time, it's due south of where I live, so I'm always travelling north/south rather than east/west.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
kayveedw wrote:ditchi56, Can you take one for the team and drive that way to give Waze more data? You may even be surprised that it worked.
I'll take a detour next time I'm down that way and approach the junction from the east. Not likely to be for a couple of weeks though.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
wolfsbane2k wrote:Is there anything in particular you want me to do other than just try it out?
The UR's all relate to journeys approaching the junction from the east on the A272 and wanting to head north on the A24, although I guess continuing east on the A272 should be the same. If Waze recommends the southerly diversion, then take either route and see how the actual time compares with the Waze estimate.
If Waze says to stay on the A272, then at least this would confirm that it does sometimes suggest the short route.
wolfsbane2k wrote:Being a weekend, I guess the timing isn't likely to be taken into account the same way.
I believe Waze has separate time records for each day of the week, so it will be using (and updating) the Saturday or Sunday statistics for you.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
elljay23 wrote:if Waze doesn't have much data on the B2135 right turn it probably thinks turning right across a fast dual carriageway is quick! Not sure what I can do to help?
What would help would be if people did use the B2135 & right turn route so that Waze could get some data for it. Either this will show Waze that is slower, or maybe we will discover that it really is quicker and Waze was right all along.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Another UR from this junction.

This time the user reached the A272/A24 junction and Waze agreed that he should head north up the A24. But rather than turn right, it wanted to travel south and then U-turn. The first U-turn opportunity is some distance south, more than a mile.

I can't believe the 16m section of road bypassed could ever be slow enough to justify such a detour, apart from which the user says it was 06:30 and there was no traffic.

Any ideas?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dknight212
What routes does livemap show?

Edit: livemap shows a signficant gain with going down Park Lane at peak times. Do you think that this is not justified?
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
It might just be that Waze doesn't have enough information for Park Lane at peak times.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by elljay23
I don't live too far away, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get there during a weekday rush hour. From memory the times I've been westwards the traffic lights can have quite a long wait, so like you say, if Waze doesn't have much data on the B2135 right turn it probably thinks turning right across a fast dual carriageway is quick! Not sure what I can do to help?
elljay23
Send a message

Post by elljay23
Just took a trip over that way.

This is the view from the B2135 across the A24. The silver car should be waiting behind the give way line so if there was space I could go half way across.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p67 ... 2fa454.jpg

This is the view looking northwards up the A24. Plenty of traffic!

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p67 ... 210b6c.jpg

It took a couple of minutes to get across at 4:30 on a Friday.

This is the view heading west on the A272, about to turn right onto the A24. The lights go green but then the lights on the A24 (off the right of the photo) stay red while the traffic eastbound on the A272 turns onto the northbound A24.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p67 ... 41fb5f.jpg

Took a couple of minutes to get onto the A24, so not a lot in it at the time I was there. Not sure that helps?!
elljay23
Send a message