NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Postby holzereck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi all,

I’m new to Smart phones & even newer to apps - especially Sat-Nav ones.
At the moment, I am trying yours & it seems quite good.
I have a new Moto G – Android.

I’m sorry if my plea’s are basic or answered elsewhere.
I’m in West Cornwall – UK.

1/ Do we only get a drawn map – or can we see satellite photo’s ?

2/ I was driving along the A30 yesterday, & kept getting the message “NO CONNECTION – RETRY”.

I know I had 02 cellular connection, so wondered if this message meant no satellite visible ?

If it is, it seems very odd along the A30 – especially as my phones in-built sat-nav keeps connections all over this area.

Am I looking at things wrongly ?

Any ideas please ?

cheers
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes
holzereck

Re: NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Postby seriousarsonist » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi and welcome to waze!

At this time you only get a drawn map, satellite imagery is just a bit too big to download to phones.

The no signal is for cellular data connection. This is a known issue and you'll find threads about it all over the forums.

So no you aren't looking at timings wrongly

Happy Wazing!

NI AM L5
ImageImage
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland Image Image

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby holzereck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 am

Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply and welcome,

SIGNAL:

I have been looking through the forum, but can find no definitive answer to this.
Obviously, if the signal drops out, with a known cause, shouldn't it be rectifiable ?

If people need to rely on the system, then they need to rely on it - otherwise, what's the point ?

Its like having a kettle - that doesn't heat water,,, or a TV that doesn't show pictures,,,

MAPS:
As I say, I'm new to all this, but the built-in system of my phone does use satellite images.
This isn't an argument, but I don't understand why that uses maps, but a sat-nav app doesn't ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love the idea of this system, especially with members actual input, and local managers etc to keep things up to date. I spent an interested couple of hours looking at the maps/changes etc, & find it fascinating.
If I'm here long enough, I might apply for a managership, as I guess its a bit scarce where I am.

First though, I gotta stop it dropping out,,,,,
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes
holzereck

Postby fieldenm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:59 pm

I have always found Cornwall a great holiday location, and somewhere to break the smartphone addiction. The simple fact is that there is hardly any mobile data coverage across much of Cornwall. You may have a phone signal capable of calls, but rarely do you get a fast data connection.

Both Waze and Google Navigation rely on a continuous feed of data, building the map as you drive. In addition, average speed data/traffic conditions are another addition to the flow of data required. In urban settings with strong and fast data connections, both Waze and Google work brilliantly. Without data, both are useless.

I have Co-Pilot installed for no-data emergencies, often Cornwall or The Peak District. Co-Pilot isn't great, but it has a full UK map installed on the phone memory so no connection is required - just GPS.

One day mobile operators will figure out how to fill the gaps in UK coverage. Meanwhile there is not much we can do about it. Not soon (unless in the Waze sense of the word)
fieldenm

Postby biccies » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Welcome to Waze.

You mention that Waze was showing a "NO CONNECTION" message but your phone was reporting a signal. It's important to remember that your phone may show a strong signal but this does not necessarily mean you had a data connection. Some phones will report signal strength as well as a letter i.e. ( G, E, H, H+, 4G ) these can be taken to represent the type of connection and indicate the types of data.
It's possible you had a mobile phone signal without having a data connection.

Waze is able to route without a data connection as long as the map has been cached. If you *need* to rely on the system it's probably best you use a dedicated Satellite Navigation unit rather than a mobile phone with an app.

Most Satellite navigation applications and systems I have used do not use ariel images but instead just display a map. A good reason for this is a map can be kept clean, un-cluttered and easy to read quickly whilst driving. Out of interest what is the 'built-in system' on your phone that uses aerial images?
AM for Stafford, Cannock Chase & Cannock (UK)
biccies
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby woodvale » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 pm

fieldenm wrote:I have Co-Pilot installed for no-data emergencies, often Cornwall or The Peak District. Co-Pilot isn't great, but it has a full UK map installed on the phone memory so no connection is required - just GPS.

Could I ask whether that's the free or premium (£19.99) version? I had a look at the free one, and saw that it requires access to my contact list and call log, so I won't be using it. Does the premium also require that access as well?
John
woodvale Local Champ, AM South London, Wessex, S Wales, Jamaica
Latest Waze on Galaxy S4 Android 5.0.1
Waze FAQ UK wiki UK Forum
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby seriousarsonist » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Interesting question that, their privacy policy doesn't mention anything about asking to access contacts or call logs either on the app stores or website, they do state that they collect, store and use GPS info but no personally identifiable information is 'stored' with it and they won't disclose this info, just use it to better the service that they can provide. Why they'd want access to call logs is beyond me, contact lists I can get as you can add address info to contacts and then access them for navigation purposes. Will be interested to find out.

Pip
ImageImage
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland Image Image

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby fieldenm » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:01 am

As far as I know, the Co-Pilot App is the same, whether free or paid for. The difference is whether the subscription for premium services (that expire) are paid for up front or (if desired) as an option later. I'm not too concerned about call logs, maybe I'm too relaxed about this.

Since you have raised this, I took another look at Waze permissions. Apparently Waze wants to "take pictures and videos" and "record audio". This is much scarier. All the time we are driving along using Waze, presumably we could be filmed and our conversations recorded. Why have they asked for this?? :evil:
fieldenm

Postby dbg400 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:46 am

fieldenm wrote:Since you have raised this, I took another look at Waze permissions. Apparently Waze wants to "take pictures and videos" and "record audio". This is much scarier. All the time we are driving along using Waze, presumably we could be filmed and our conversations recorded. Why have they asked for this?? :evil:

I wondered about those. The recording audio is maybe obvious enough, if they're going to provide voice activation, but I didn't realise they could take photos direct through the app - I run Waze on a tablet mounted in a dash cubby, so the camera would be fairly useless! The wiki does have some of the answers, though it would be nice if it were a little more explanatory.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_permiss ... ir_purpose

I run a dashcam and it's surprising how quickly you get used to it and talk normally as if it wasn't there.
dbg400

Postby biccies » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 am

Don't forget, you can add pictures to traffic and hazard reports. That'll be why that permission is required
AM for Stafford, Cannock Chase & Cannock (UK)
biccies
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to United Kingdom