NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Postby woodvale » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 am

I've had a look at the Co-pilot privacy policy and am a lot more comfortable now. It was the extended explanation of the app permissions requested for social information that had me worried. I don't know whether that's generic Play Store text, or specifically set by the Co-pilot app.

The points it made about what malicious apps could do with the data made my professional data protection hat leap in the air and stopped me going any further with the install.

I fully accept the justification for access to my contacts - I'm not so sure about the call logs. The app can get the address and phone number from my contact. It doesn't need to know when I last called them and how frequently. Principles 2 and 3 of the DP Act come to mind as applicable and I have to wonder whether, by giving the app permission to access my contact information (which certainly constitutes personal data and may even be, in some cases, sensitive personal data), I'm also in danger of breaching Principle 8, even though the Act is aimed at organisations' rather than individuals' use of personal data.

However, I do accept that this has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's query! I believe the solution to ensure you have the maps cached in your phone is to set up your route while the phone has a data connection either by cellular network or wi-fi. Waze will download and cache all the necessary tiles for that route (according to previous posts on the topic). Going exploring without a set route will lead to the map disappearing whenever you move onto a tile that hasn't been downloaded and there's no network connection.

HTH :mrgreen:
John
woodvale UK Champ, UK CM, AM City and South London, Jamaica WI
Latest Waze on Galaxy S7 Android 7.0
Waze FAQ UK Wazeopedia UK Forum
ImageImageImage
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby woodvale » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 pm

fieldenm wrote:I have Co-Pilot installed for no-data emergencies, often Cornwall or The Peak District. Co-Pilot isn't great, but it has a full UK map installed on the phone memory so no connection is required - just GPS.

Could I ask whether that's the free or premium (£19.99) version? I had a look at the free one, and saw that it requires access to my contact list and call log, so I won't be using it. Does the premium also require that access as well?
John
woodvale UK Champ, UK CM, AM City and South London, Jamaica WI
Latest Waze on Galaxy S7 Android 7.0
Waze FAQ UK Wazeopedia UK Forum
ImageImageImage
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Superfraggle » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Three is great, especially unlimited data. I had to test that theory and download about 30 gig, and they never complained.

just try and avoid customer services, although they are improving.
ImageImage
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby seriousarsonist » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Dave2084 wrote:Think 2G ...

2G and 2.5G... ;)

NI AM L5
Image ImageImageImage
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland Image Image

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby seriousarsonist » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Interesting question that, their privacy policy doesn't mention anything about asking to access contacts or call logs either on the app stores or website, they do state that they collect, store and use GPS info but no personally identifiable information is 'stored' with it and they won't disclose this info, just use it to better the service that they can provide. Why they'd want access to call logs is beyond me, contact lists I can get as you can add address info to contacts and then access them for navigation purposes. Will be interested to find out.

Pip
Image ImageImageImage

seriousarsonist

Postby seriousarsonist » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi and welcome to waze!

At this time you only get a drawn map, satellite imagery is just a bit too big to download to phones.

The no signal is for cellular data connection. This is a known issue and you'll find threads about it all over the forums.

So no you aren't looking at timings wrongly

Happy Wazing!

NI AM L5
Image ImageImageImage

seriousarsonist

NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Postby RTPeat » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:49 am

In the day job I work for a construction company where our staff are increasingly needing connectivity in out of the way locations. The company has a deal with Vodafone but we we were increasingly discovering that there were large areas with only 2G coverage including several large towns in the central belt of Scotland.

We now roll out Three MiFi units to startup sites if they have coverage because every one of their masts is 3G. Even in areas where both Vodafone and Three have a signal Three is always faster, and significantly so.
RTPeat

Postby leocylau » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Dave2084 wrote:I recently ditched O2 and moved to three ... it's only since doing that I realised how bad O2's network is outside of built up areas.

thumb-up
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM, HK CM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby holzereck » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:38 pm

fieldenm wrote:Hi Holzereck.
You don't need data to use a Sat Nav, but you do need to use a downloaded Sat Nav that has a built in map. This will require a large data download (maybe over 500MB) when initially installed and again when updated. However you could do this while connected to Wi-Fi somewhere - hopefully somewhere free.
The best self-contained FREE Sat Navs I know of are Co-Pilot and Nav Free. As I said, download and update using free WiFi, then turn your data connection off.
Good luck!

That's what I thought.
I used the in-built thing when the phone was 2 days old & I travelled up Country - when I could have really used it. I won't bore you with the whole story, but on the way home, it kept cutting out of signal. This surprised me as I was on a motorway most of the way, and expected full signal, of 02 at least.

It also kept popping up with "oi mate - we want another quid for the data use". I guess I got 15/20 mins of use, before it popped up again, & again.

That's when I decided to look for a free app. When I say free, I don't necessarily mean free to buy, but free to run.
The first one I tried was free CoPilot. This seemed to fit the bill - initially - even with Data turned off.
I think it was about that time I upgraded to Kitkat. It may be a coincidence, but it seems to have changed around that time,,, to keep losing signal.
I have also tried Nav-Free.
CoPilot, Nav-free & Waze - and their own maps, were downloaded at home, via my B.Band/Wifi.

I have seen an app for satellite signal strength - any good ?

cheers
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes
holzereck

Postby holzereck » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks for the update folks,

The reason I am on payg, is that I probably only spend about £2 per week - if that. Being disabled, I do have to rely on my stuff - so have to strike a happy medium (she hates it !), between a cheapish system & a reliable system. If I were still working, it wouldn't matter.

I'm still looking for confirmation, that I HAVE to have 'data' enabled (as per the 02 shop kid), to use sat-nav type apps.
If that's true, I may as well stick to the built-in one, which does use data.

In my case, the whole idea of seeking free sat-nav, is to get around using data.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nothing from 02 or Virgin yet ?!?!

hope you're all having a nice weekend
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes
holzereck

Next

Return to United Kingdom