Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

NO SIGNAL - is this Cellular or Satellite signal ?

Post by holzereck
Hi all,

I’m new to Smart phones & even newer to apps - especially Sat-Nav ones.
At the moment, I am trying yours & it seems quite good.
I have a new Moto G – Android.

I’m sorry if my plea’s are basic or answered elsewhere.
I’m in West Cornwall – UK.

1/ Do we only get a drawn map – or can we see satellite photo’s ?

2/ I was driving along the A30 yesterday, & kept getting the message “NO CONNECTION – RETRY”.

I know I had 02 cellular connection, so wondered if this message meant no satellite visible ?

If it is, it seems very odd along the A30 – especially as my phones in-built sat-nav keeps connections all over this area.

Am I looking at things wrongly ?

Any ideas please ?

cheers
holzereck

POSTER_ID:16893311

Send a message
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes

Post by dbg400
fieldenm wrote:Since you have raised this, I took another look at Waze permissions. Apparently Waze wants to "take pictures and videos" and "record audio". This is much scarier. All the time we are driving along using Waze, presumably we could be filmed and our conversations recorded. Why have they asked for this?? :evil:
I wondered about those. The recording audio is maybe obvious enough, if they're going to provide voice activation, but I didn't realise they could take photos direct through the app - I run Waze on a tablet mounted in a dash cubby, so the camera would be fairly useless! The wiki does have some of the answers, though it would be nice if it were a little more explanatory.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_permiss ... ir_purpose

I run a dashcam and it's surprising how quickly you get used to it and talk normally as if it wasn't there.
dbg400
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
biccies wrote:Waze is able to route without a data connection as long as the map has been cached. If you *need* to rely on the system it's probably best you use a dedicated Satellite Navigation unit rather than a mobile phone with an app.
Mobile phone with app is fine even without a 3G phone signal - this is the free one I keep on my phone for when Waze won't work.

Advantage over Waze
- it works without a phone signal

Advantages of Waze:
- map more more up to date (in areas with active editors)
- "fastest" routing takes account of historic speed data for the roads at current time of day, rather than just an assumed speed based on road classification (in areas with enough Wazers to generate meaningful data and 3G coverage to upload it)
- account taken of traffic conditions (ditto)
- petrol price information (again only if Wazers are inputting petrol prices)

I have to say that despite the many advantages of Waze, if I was only allowed one SatNav on my phone, it would have to be the one which works all the time. Fortunately there is no such restriction.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by fieldenm
I have always found Cornwall a great holiday location, and somewhere to break the smartphone addiction. The simple fact is that there is hardly any mobile data coverage across much of Cornwall. You may have a phone signal capable of calls, but rarely do you get a fast data connection.

Both Waze and Google Navigation rely on a continuous feed of data, building the map as you drive. In addition, average speed data/traffic conditions are another addition to the flow of data required. In urban settings with strong and fast data connections, both Waze and Google work brilliantly. Without data, both are useless.

I have Co-Pilot installed for no-data emergencies, often Cornwall or The Peak District. Co-Pilot isn't great, but it has a full UK map installed on the phone memory so no connection is required - just GPS.

One day mobile operators will figure out how to fill the gaps in UK coverage. Meanwhile there is not much we can do about it. Not soon (unless in the Waze sense of the word)
fieldenm
Send a message

Post by fieldenm
As far as I know, the Co-Pilot App is the same, whether free or paid for. The difference is whether the subscription for premium services (that expire) are paid for up front or (if desired) as an option later. I'm not too concerned about call logs, maybe I'm too relaxed about this.

Since you have raised this, I took another look at Waze permissions. Apparently Waze wants to "take pictures and videos" and "record audio". This is much scarier. All the time we are driving along using Waze, presumably we could be filmed and our conversations recorded. Why have they asked for this?? :evil:
fieldenm
Send a message

Post by fieldenm
A recent survey showed that for UK performance:
1st EE
2nd Three
3rd O2
4th Vodafone
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26546100
fieldenm
Send a message

Post by fieldenm
:cry: I'm on Vodafone. Great in the cities, rubbish elsewhere
fieldenm
Send a message

Post by fieldenm
Hi Holzereck.
I'm sorry to hear about your limited budget, it sounds like a tough challenge.
You don't need data to use a Sat Nav, but you do need to use a downloaded Sat Nav that has a built in map. This will require a large data download (maybe over 500MB) when initially installed and again when updated. However you could do this while connected to Wi-Fi somewhere - hopefully somewhere free.
The best self-contained FREE Sat Navs I know of are Co-Pilot and Nav Free. As I said, download and update using free WiFi, then turn your data connection off.
Good luck!
fieldenm
Send a message

Post by holzereck
Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply and welcome,

SIGNAL:

I have been looking through the forum, but can find no definitive answer to this.
Obviously, if the signal drops out, with a known cause, shouldn't it be rectifiable ?

If people need to rely on the system, then they need to rely on it - otherwise, what's the point ?

Its like having a kettle - that doesn't heat water,,, or a TV that doesn't show pictures,,,

MAPS:
As I say, I'm new to all this, but the built-in system of my phone does use satellite images.
This isn't an argument, but I don't understand why that uses maps, but a sat-nav app doesn't ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love the idea of this system, especially with members actual input, and local managers etc to keep things up to date. I spent an interested couple of hours looking at the maps/changes etc, & find it fascinating.
If I'm here long enough, I might apply for a managership, as I guess its a bit scarce where I am.

First though, I gotta stop it dropping out,,,,,
holzereck
Send a message

Post by holzereck
Thank you all for your contributions.
As I have only been in this game for a matter of months, I have a lot to learn.

Whilst my OP was about WAZE, I think its a 'general' issue in my case.
After receiving a reply from Motorola (yep - it surprised me also) I visited my local 02 store.
Motorola suggested a Factory Reset might help !
They advised me to back up my files on the SD card,,,,,, mmmmmm,,,,, if only I had a SD slot !

The 02 store said that I HAD to have my data thing enabled.
In my case, the only reason I am looking at Waze (other apps are available !?) is to get away from using my data balance (remember - I am on payg due to limited funds).

When I got home, I enabled data,,,, but still don't see 2G or 3G etc.

So far - no further forwards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cheers all for your advice.
holzereck
Send a message