Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: South East London Aerials

Postby dknight212 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Ah, that was the problem! Oops :roll:
dknight212

Re: South East London Aerials

Postby CTCNetwork » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi,

There was, if I remember, somewhere you could report misaligned aerial imagery, whether misaligned to neighbouring images or whether in the wrong position.
Need that in the wiki as I can't see it there either.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Re: London Aerials

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Certainly seems to have happened in the last 12-14 hours, as I was working on some URs over in west London at around 10-11pm last night and also had to use the script to align the aerials with reality.

I've been randomly panning around different bits of London, and as of about 10 minutes ago it seems as if pretty much everything I'm looking at has the correct offset. There might be the odd tiny patch here and there (e.g. the infamous Westminster Bridge - though *only* the bridge, the approach roads look OK now) where things are off, but it does appear that the update has the intention of fixing the offset across the whole of the affected area.

What I have noticed is that the few patches of misaligment I've noticed today all seem to correspond with bridges, which makes me think these are georectification artifacts rather than areas which haven't yet been through the correction process at all.
Twister-UK
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby AndyPot2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:09 pm

iainhouse wrote:Where does that lower image come from? I can't see it in Google Maps, or Earth, or Waze.

I noticed it around 7:30 this morning, found this thread, saw your picture of Westminster Bridge so thought just to double check I would find the same image, I normally use Chrome so think that is where I captured it.

Just tried in Chrome and Explorer 10 and got the old and new images so I don't know what is going on :?

Is one of them using an old cache thingy .. it's all a bit too technical for me :lol:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(106.52 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
AndyPot2
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Additional information: whatever realignment has happened probably started after 2am last night. That was when I closed the editor - and at that time, the UR I was working on had misaligned aerials. Now, those aerials are fixed.

So no need to panic that it might have been fixed for days and we didn't notice.

Small comfort that that is.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:42 pm

COPIED POST FROM WAAS Thread

Twister-UK wrote:It looks as if Google have had a change of heart and fixed the offset

Not everything - unfortunately. :twisted:

Westminster Bridge, which Andy quoted above still has misaligned aerials and needs the script.

I've had a quick look during my lunch break and a couple of areas in North London have had the aerials correctly aligned. In all cases I've checked, the images are not new: they are still the image set from July 2013.

I hope this is a "work in progress" - because if it isn't, it's going to be an absolute nightmare to find the boundaries now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH. :cry:
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Where does that lower image come from? I can't see it in Google Maps, or Earth, or Waze.

In Gmaps, I see that the Westminster Bridge road segment does now match the aerial image - but that's because both are out of alignment! I'm guessing that, rather than moving the images to correctly align with the roads, they've moved the roads to align with the images! :shock:

I cam across an area of about 100 segments last night in Gmaps, where a Gmaps editor has re-aligned all the roads to the incorrect images. As a result, when you grab the GSV dude, none of the blue lines match up with the segments.

If you can supply me with any permalinks where you can see new aerials or think they might have been moved, I'll check.

[EDIT] I'd still like to know where you saw that new image, but the rest of what I said is probably out of date. See below :roll:
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AndyPot2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 am

It also looks like they have updated some of the aerials, if you compare this image to the one iainhouse uploaded you will see that that the buses are different and that Googles "road" now runs down the centre of the bridge.

Westminster Bridge Updated.JPG
(67.18 KiB) Downloaded 662 times

Googles editors are going to have to come back and correct their roads now... :lol:
AndyPot2
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPot2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:15 am

It looks like the London aerials may have been fixed at last, I have checked various places mainly north, west and central London and they now much better aligned so be careful if you are using Aerial Auto Shifter.
AndyPot2
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PealRinger » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:11 pm

iainhouse wrote:If that's MadPeck(2), I've already PMed him and I'm partway through the fixes.

Thanks Iain - yes, you clearly beat me to it.
Other recent editors are 'EuthrixPotatoria' and 'MadCabbie' but I think both have been fixing the alignment and the recent wave of MPs.
PealRinger
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to United Kingdom