New WME and Places (UK)

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: New WME and Places (UK)

Postby floppyrod84 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 am

Moving in GMM where it was almost immediately updated (within ten minutes) Waze was able to route correctly to the address

Kinda begs the question, what is the point of this whole endeavour, it's not like Waze and Google are so far apart anymore is it?

What was the big issue with what we already had? I feel this is just a cumbersome way of trying to either copy a database of shops, or to take someone to the door of a shopping centre car park when it could be pretty big like Lakeside or Bluewater with bits here and there (some full some not). There are too many variables for something like this to be used for parking.

We really need clearer guidance on this. Do these areas still suppress reports, or do we still need PLRs? If so, what's the point in the area.

OR...are service roads used to the edge of the parking area (lot) and the area covers it all so just go where you want?

So confused :(
floppyrod84

Postby Superfraggle » Sat May 31, 2014 12:17 am

Well I think thats where decisions need to be made. Thats certainly an option, and it's certainly, as you would say where you are more likely to park.

But then, I don't know of any sat nav that would take you to the relevant car park for a location, so whilst that is nice, looking from the other side, say I don't know where the place is, i get routed to a car park round the back, great, but where the hell is the shop.

This is why I think its still being discussed, no doubt the CM's are watching this thread and having many discussions (or arguments :D) and no doubt it will come up a lot at the meetup.

At the end of the day you will never please everyone.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby cew118 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:13 am

on this example the better place to park would be https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... =252335942 so would i move the dot to that car park?

I also think that navigating to a lake area is good, but pointing the marker to the nearest car park, navigating to a river would be harder, unless you marked all the car parks down it... https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... 06.2795970
Last edited by cew118 on Sat May 31, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cew118

Postby Superfraggle » Sat May 31, 2014 12:04 am

Placement doesn't have to be on the road, i assume its the same as before, except you just want the nearest navigable point to be where you would drive to.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... 30.2795381

Taking this random example, whilst we can't check it, i think the closest point is the side road which doesn't really look like a road you would want to drive down (judging by GSV). So would want to be slightly closer to the main road ( I think)

I had a good example from google the other day where because the marker was too far away from the main road, it was actually navigating to a road round the back, which was a one way street so it took you past where you wanted to go, then round the back. Moving in GMM where it was almost immediately updated (within ten minutes) Waze was able to route correctly to the address.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby seriousarsonist » Fri May 30, 2014 11:23 pm

I'd agree with it being pointless a slightly different implementation would better, we don't need a navigable point for a lake, or a river. Having different classes of area would be better, pretty map and navigable map. Putting the points on the road if they aren't in an area but on the shop if they are is a strange way to do it.

Also agree with it being a stupid amount of work, but saying that I've started a few places just to see how it works. Will be interesting to see how the layered areas thing actually works.

Do we have any solid directions on how to proceed yet?

Pop

Level 5 Area Manager - North of Ireland
Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist

Postby Superfraggle » Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Sorry I thought thats what you meant by how does it look :D
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby cew118 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:36 pm

ditchi56 wrote:To be honest, I think it's too much work. I can't see myself putting that much effort into labelling every public building (e.g. shop) even in my own home town, never mind the rest of my AM area.

I'm only doing that road as an example.
easy edit points

I have read the documentation on this feature and i know that all them dot's i'm putting up will not show up on the client.

I Very much agree that i will not be doing this for everywhere around Wigan or hindley (i might put MOT/Carwash/car workshops in on the fly) and having read the doc's and had a look around my area to implement this i think its a stupid idea, i agree that map clutter is bad but the client has bing and google for searchable stuff.

The area feature where you get to point where it will navigate people, it may increase the need for parking lot roads but Asda here always routed me to a differn't car park

edit- i've finished with this, it'll make the area unworkable with the places layer on (which i like)
Last edited by cew118 on Fri May 30, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cew118

Postby ditchi56 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:20 pm

cew118 wrote:This road i will be over the next few days/week or so be fully dotting the full street under this new places feature as an example. How's It Look?

Thoughts/comment's welcome!

Thank's

To be honest, I think it's too much work. I can't see myself putting that much effort into labelling every public building (e.g. shop) even in my own home town, never mind the rest of my AM area.

Which isn't to say that Wigan won't be great when you've finished, just that I don't see any realistic prospect of the rest of the country being done to the same standard.

My personal view is that I'm only likely to map things large enough to be an "area". I don't see myself using "point" places very much at all.

Not trying to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, just thinking about what standard we are reasonably likely to achieve consistently across the country (not forgetting that the more detail you put in, the more work is required to keep it up to date - shops round my way change quite frequently).

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Superfraggle » Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 pm

From my understanding, Place places don't show up in the client, and are only searchable and navigable to. So Should be on the road where you want to be navigated to.

Area places show up on the client as per usual.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby cew118 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:48 pm

This road i will be over the next few days/week or so be fully dotting the full street under this new places feature as an example. How's It Look?

Thoughts/comment's welcome!

Thank's
cew118

PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom