New WME and Places (UK)

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: New WME and Places (UK)

Postby Superfraggle » Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 am

I think they both are. You won't get any traffic reports on a plr. But you won't get any MPs or the like at all in the lots. Although I could also be wrong

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby seriousarsonist » Thu May 29, 2014 11:05 am

TonyG-UK wrote:I'm at a loss with Searching for POIs within the client (I'm using the beta client currently, BTW), the whole concept of destination Categories has been removed, and searching for Places names as a destination, it's pretty clear that they are not being searched for, making this whole concept pretty useless.

It may be possible that the POI database is not yet searchable so useless at present, probably need someone from HQ to answer this conundrum. There may also be no population of the DB yet as the system is pretty new and there is nothing to populate it with.

Superfraggle wrote:But aren't the parking lots also used to suppress map problems and alleys etc?

I'm pretty sure it's Parking Lot Roads that are used to suppress erroneous reports and errors. Could be wrong though.

Pip
seriousarsonist

Postby Superfraggle » Thu May 29, 2014 10:35 am

But aren't the parking lots also used to suppress map problems and alleys etc?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby TonyG-UK » Thu May 29, 2014 10:34 am

I'm at a loss with Searching for POIs within the client (I'm using the beta client currently, BTW), the whole concept of destination Categories has been removed, and searching for Places names as a destination, it's pretty clear that they are not being searched for, making this whole concept pretty useless.
TonyG-UK

Postby seriousarsonist » Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 am

Ok, so the way I am seeing this from my wee point of view in my wee country is this;

Areas:
These would be used, as stated, for the likes of a shopping center/forest park/big huge things and would include the entire complex including the car parks. The navigable point would be placed at the entrance, or the main entrance if there are a few less used or not preferred entrances. You wouldn't draw in the car park as an area within this, as (almost) everyone knows that these places have a car park and the car park is generally for the use of those using that 'Area' and not for public parking. The user then can't complain that they haven't been routed to where they want to go and can park as close to which ever bit of the 'Area' they want. Including parking lot roads in and out should be added to.. blah blah as already stated.

The exception to that would be Public car parks, as provided for public parking in town centers by councils and roads service DRD (or whatever they are called on the big island), these would be mapped as an area in their own right as we already do.

This is just an address database, a bit like house numbers but with the added info of what is at that point and what service is provided. I am guessing that Waze has added this so they can possibly move away from using the slightly dodgy external searches for business and other premises. adding these points within an area would allow users to find said business and navigate to it, the area that it is in would provide more accurate routing due to the layer nature of the system, ie. they'd get to the car park, and possibly the closest part of the car park road, and not the lane round the back.

So in summary: don't add parking lots to areas, do add basic parking lot roads. Add points with full details, but don't put them on the closest road.

I know I've just reiterated what others have said, but it just seems common sense. Only time will tell how best to work this system and a few test sites will need drawn up and tested.

you may now tell me to shut up, etc :lol:
Pip
seriousarsonist

Postby Superfraggle » Wed May 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Definitely depends on circumstances, if there are multiple car parks all with the same entrance, then surely main the entrance would be appropriate. It's been about 15 years since I went to Cribbs though so I don't know that one recently.

Certainly with others such as lakeside and Bluewater, there are parking lots on different sides, each with their own entrance. So which one you go to is often dependant on knowledge, available spaces and/or which shop you intend to go to - if visiting a specific store.

Even getting navigated to a car park or the area is better than what could happen before, such as being navigated to some random service road round the back.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Dave2084 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 pm

ditchi56 wrote:For petrol stations, there is an address field, for which we can populate "street" and "city". I'd like to suggest that the street be the nearest classified road, where there is one nearby.

For example, at this supermarket petrol station, I've set the street to the nearby A road rather than the side road it is actually on ("A3100 - Clay Ln" rather than "Bowers Farm Dr").

And for this motorway service station, I've set it to the motorway name and direction.

Thoughts, better ideas?

In the past I have always googled the petrol station and put in their full official postal address inc postcode (if necessary cross referencing with royal mail postcode finder). Only failed to find that info on a handful of occasions. Obviously now we can set the entry point navigation should be easier.

Going back to parking lots, If you take a large mall like meadowhell (Sheffield) or cribbs causeway (Bristol) they have multiple car parks each with their own access. A place has only one 'entry' point so multiple car park places and a separate one for the mall (plus points for any shops???) would make more sense.

I think places will definitely be on the discussion agenda for the UK meetup.
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby ditchi56 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:45 pm

For petrol stations, there is an address field, for which we can populate "street" and "city". I'd like to suggest that the street be the nearest classified road, where there is one nearby.

For example, at this supermarket petrol station, I've set the street to the nearby A road rather than the side road it is actually on ("A3100 - Clay Ln" rather than "Bowers Farm Dr").

And for this motorway service station, I've set it to the motorway name and direction.

Thoughts, better ideas?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Superfraggle » Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Yes parking lots should (under current guide lines) have minimal roads, hence the question of could adding parking lots with specific points could be severely altered by such changes. Yes this was also true before, but then we had little to no control over the navigation point before then.

To answer your last question, from what I can tell (not the official view) is I believe waze are trying to stear to towards a more general use sat nav with many features.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MsDizzie » Wed May 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Superfraggle wrote:But then Mr (or Ms) New L1 editor comes in and maps the parking lot to its full extent. depending on the complexity of the parking lot, you might end up with 15 different navigation instructions navigating around several one way parking segments based on the original parking lot layout.

(I might've done the above to gain experience in using WME :roll:)

But... majority of parking lots should just have an in and out. It would be a pretty hopeless driver who can't navigate their way around? Perhaps I'm "old-school" :lol:

As for shops in shopping centres, I think it should be sufficient just to have the centre name and maybe the biggest stores to be found there, with appropriate parking lot roads to help people park as close as possible.

(I'm thinking of the likes of Meadowhall or the Gateshead Metro Centre)

Else that would cause another set of trivial headaches, wouldn't it?

A local Sainsburys tried to invoke a set of one-way lanes in their car park, but some drivers just ignore the signs!

Do we have to check all Landmarks/Places are correctly assigned?

So... Waze is not just a simple commuting tool after all?
MsDizzie
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom