Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

New country grids coming to Waze: UK and Spain

Post by
The Fej wrote: Finally we are getting ready to upload the UK and Spain grid map information (similar to activities done in the Netherlands, France and Germany at the time) to our maps.
From today or tomorrow we will need to block the map editing for these 2 countries until we complete the complicated process which should take between 2-3 weeks (we will try to expedite it as much as possible), but we hope the result is worth the wait.
Woohooo!

POSTER_ID:8677

Send a message

Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
I agree, I've almost single handedly mapped the City of Lincoln and surrounding villages from scratch ... but it will be very good for Waze.

Have a look at my work and tell me what you think:
http://world.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=7&l ... yers=BTTTT
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
PhilNaughton wrote:Nice work Dave, especially the nature parks with the water in the middle.
Thanks, it was quite fiddly but I drive past one of them several times a day and it would have annoyed me!
PhilNaughton wrote:Here's my handiwork before it gets absorbed into the update and you can no longer see what I have done:
I can see you have been very busy, nice to see I'm not the only one with an eye for detail :D
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Am I the only one who is a little disappointed this is happening?

Yes I know it is good for Waze, and it is the best thing they could do to help attract more users, but I was enjoying seeing the map in my area expand, and being able to see that through all the work I had done more people were using Waze.

I'll have to see if I get the same enjoyment after the update for just making corrections and naming roads.

Also during the update, whilst I can't edit I will have to find something else to do during that last hour before bed, or early Sunday mornings when I have had to get up at 7am with the kids. Back to playing PC games I think
Nope, I definitely share that disappointment! Real mixed feelings!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I'm wondering if the UK maps will become near perfect after this and we'll have nothing to do, or totally messed up and we'll have to fix everything. Hopefully it'll be somewhere in the middle...

On the plus side, it might get more map editors discovering the forum during the next couple of weeks.
:-o They will be nowhere near perfect! All names, directionality and connectivity will still need to be done!

Forum activity definitely going to go up though, I was (a little shamefully) at a complete loss last night!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
robin1979 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:All names, directionality and connectivity will still need to be done!
They will be merged from your previous edits! 8-)
Yeah I meant previously unedited!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Dave2084 wrote:
PhilNaughton wrote:Nice work Dave, especially the nature parks with the water in the middle.
Thanks, it was quite fiddly but I drive past one of them several times a day and it would have annoyed me!
PhilNaughton wrote:Here's my handiwork before it gets absorbed into the update and you can no longer see what I have done:
I can see you have been very busy, nice to see I'm not the only one with an eye for detail :D
Nice work guys - 'tis good to see the effort in some of the major areas across the country! Can't link to it from work but I've been going hell for leather all across Scotland but probably got 90% of Edinburgh done and maybe 50% of the surrounding area too!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
In theory all existing edits will remain in place. The basemap will add everything else but without any names, connectivity or directionality, all of these things become the job of the editors now!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Ok, probably a REALLY stupid question.
What does all this mean? Does it mean they're importing a basemap for the UK?
Is it just road geometry, or names and everything else as well, because the post just says "same as we did for Germany"....doesn't explain much to me tbh :(
What happens to all our previous edits? Are they deleted, merged, or what?? I guess they might use a similar thing to how the Archive works, i.e. using an algorithm to detect which road you drove on.
What about connectivity?

Sorry for the long (and probably dumb) post, just a few questions. Hope you can answer them guys, and thanks :D
floppyrod84
Send a message