[Heads Up] Waze v3.8 TTS Issues - Read Before Upgrading

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: [Heads Up] Waze v3.8 TTS Issues - Read Before Upgrading

Postby g1btv » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Getting UR's in my area from people on iphone whose waze app is locking up, not tracking the gps and generally unusable. Restarting the phone makes no difference and the problems only started after the update. Are any of these known bugs and is there any work around?
Image Dudley,Mid Wales,Worcester, Staffordshire
Ever fallen asleep at the wheel? get checked out for Sleep Apnoea - it may save your life
g1btv
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Twister-UK » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Dave2084 wrote:at the end of the day Waze should not be giving instructions 50ft AFTER you make the turn. Ideally at these the 'Turn left and then turn right' should be enough, if it manages to get the 'turn left' in fantastic, if it's too late it needs to stay quiet.

On a similar note, it'd be appreciated if the TTS could shut up as soon as the app realises you're not following the previously offered route, rather than waiting until the current spoken instruction has been completed before giving the "doodle-doop" rerouting jingle and starting to read out the new instructions that have been on-screen for several seconds already.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ditchi56 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:36 pm

My app decided to upgrade itself, without asking my permission. :evil:

Haven't driven with the new version yet, but two things I notice straightaway.

"Favourites" seems to be cluttered with every destination I've ever saved there, and I do save quite a lot as I have learnt to locate destinations at home on Wifi and save them for later, since there may not be phone access when I want to go there. That doesn't mean that I want every place I went to once last year to be reappear on my favourites now. And why are Waze storing this information anyway?

There's a "friends" icon cluttering up a significant portion of the map space. And unlike the other icons that sometimes appear in the central map space, it's not see-through. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby fieldenm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:41 pm

For the last two days, I have tried Google Navigation again - the first time in nearly a year. I can report that it has improved a lot. The dynamic re-routing, traffic and ETA are all seriously impressive. The map is impressive - even labelling alternative ETA's if your potential route branches ahead. The TTS seemed spot on and very slick.

I'm a huge fan of Waze, and will be reluctant to defect, but for those needing a clean, reliable, dynamic navigation experience, Google Navigation seems difficult to beat - especially now the Waze upgrade appears to have backfired, worsening performance.

Waze must get the basics of navigation right quickly! Otherwise, I doubt additional gimmicks will be sufficient to reverse attrition.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased that I have found a great backup to use when I need clear, reliable navigation.
fieldenm

Postby NorfolkMustard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:26 am

Sad but true. Personally, I'm more unhappy with the compulsory sharing of mobile number and full addressbook with waze now, even if you just want to email your drive instead. Plenty of examples of other apps, some accidentally some nefariously, leaking address book info. It should only be asked for when needed, not be the entry gate to all other location share options like email/url. I tried allowing it once to get past it so I could email, but it checks for address book access every single time you click the share button and won't allow access to the other share methods until you reenable addressbook access.

Very poorly implemented IMHO.
Stu
Local Champ: England wiki | Australia wiki
iP5 (iOS9), iP6s+ (iOS9.1). Waze v4α
NorfolkMustard
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Dave2084 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:57 am

Two more TTS sound issues added to the OP.
iPhone 6S Plus (Jailed) • iOS 9.2 • Waze 4.1
Level 6 Editor • Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

[Heads Up] Waze v3.8 TTS Issues - Read Before Upgrading

Postby NorfolkMustard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:39 am

I was just about to put a note up saying the same as #4. I only got it since reinstalling yesterday.
Stu
Local Champ: England wiki | Australia wiki
iP5 (iOS9), iP6s+ (iOS9.1). Waze v4α
NorfolkMustard
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Dave2084 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:28 pm

NorfolkMustard wrote:I was just about to put a note up saying the same as #4. I only got it since reinstalling yesterday.

It was only after a comment by someone about them I thought to test. This release was in beta for 10 weeks yet I didn't once think to try a Non TTS voice instead I (futilely) focused on trying to get Waze to fix the TTS voice issues.

I guess even if it have been reported in beta it might not have been fixed ... :cry:
Level 6 Editor • Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby Dave2084 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Added another item for pronunciation of the word 'Close' and annotated CentreCode BUG numbers for those that have access.
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby floppyrod84 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:24 pm

During testing previously about a year ago I found and suggested to Orit that close was changed to clos. It worked and should still be working.

It seems that no local changes were carried over. These small tweaks weren't documented either but it was only through testing that it worked as before.

I don't like how it announces far too early where it'd be only few hundred feet for a turn. Now it's several hundred yards.

Why can't things be left alone when they work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
floppyrod84

PreviousNext

Return to United Kingdom