Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

[Heads Up] Waze v3.8 TTS Issues - Read Before Upgrading

Post by Dave2084
Waze v3.8 (out today) has significant changes to TTS, if you rely on it for giving you sensible instructions around roundabouts, DO NOT UPGRADE. There were some serious issues found with it during beta testing.

We have known this was coming for a few weeks but have been bound by confidentiality until now.

In a nutshell the issues we identified in beta testing that you as editors (and Wazers) should be aware of are:

1. The TTS functionality for a simple roundabout (turn left, go straight on and turn right) has been changed so that now guidance is not given for 'go straight on' (by design) and advance instructions will be giving you directions for the junction after the roundabout. This is likely to lead to a lot of URs. Complex roundabouts (take the nth exit) are unchanged which is not good as now the two roundabout types behave differently! CentreCode BUG-2416 Closed as 'Working as Designed'
YouTube Video of this happening

2. Double roundabouts in certain configurations will only give instructions for the first roundabout so that you may be told to go straight on when you actually need to turn right. CentreCode BUG-2804

3. When you have two junctions close together (say a staggered crossing of a main road) it is possible that the turn instruction for the second is only given AFTER you made the turn (or missed it). CentreCode BUG-2805

4. Roundabout instructions for non-TTS voices are also broken. When approaching an nth turn roundabout the advance warnings (1/0.5/0.25 miles) give you 'In <distance> at the roundabout ...', but at the roundabout you correctly get 'At the roundabout take the nth exit'. I tested with 'English (UK) Carol' and 'English (UK) Natalie'. CentreCode BUG-2738, 2175 and 2522

5. TTS street names for no name roads now carry forward for multiple junctions (at least 6, maybe infinite). Previously this was not the case (just one junction?) but now this now matches the on screen instructions. The problem here is if you journey includes a lot of no name roads the instructions given will get a TTS name for the next named street which could be a completely different class of road and many miles away. (e.g. one of the routes I can use for my commute has some single track roads that Waze insists are the A16!) CentreCode BUG-2806

6. The Word 'Close' when used as a roadname suffix (e.g. 'Malham Close') is pronounced wrong.
Waze pronounces it as the opposite of 'Open' where it should be the opposite of 'Far'. Same spelling, different word. CentreCode BUG-2504 Closed as localisation issue, but localisation team do not seem to use the forum.

These roundabout issues particularly troublesome for UK roads as we have so many roundabouts!

I recommend you leave a constructive comment on the official feedback thread which is located here.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:191033

Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
I've now added YouTube videos with notes so you can see it. Make sure annotations are on.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
NorfolkMustard wrote:I'm on 3.8.0 and tried both Daniel (street names) and Simon (my usual voice of choice) on a short drive just now and both were giving instructions for all roundabouts, including "go straight on" for Daniel or "Continue straight" for Simon.

Also had a couple of staggered junctions and Simon dutifully suggested I "turn left, then turn right" as usual.

Perhaps it's just an Android thing? seems fine/unchanged on iPhone
No I'm on iPhone too, I only used Android for the videos as it was easier to get them safely. Did you watch them?

I think non TTS voices will be unchanged (but will check).

With Daniel and the 'go straight on' roundabout:
1. Did you get the correct long range instruction (after the previous turn) or did it give instructions for the junction after the 'go straight on' roundabout(s)?
2. Did you get a half/quarter mile instructions? If so with/without TTS street names?
3. Did you get a TTS street name with the 'go straight on' instruction?

I raised this roundabout issue as BUG-2416 on CentreCode against beta 3.7.9.922 (so approx late april) but it was closed by Waze as 'Working as Designed'. :?

As Redviper has stated it is an issue I have requested this be reopened.

The staggered junction issue is tricky you need just the right combination of segment length and speed to trigger it, but at the end of the day Waze should not be giving instructions 50ft AFTER you make the turn. Ideally at these the 'Turn left and then turn right' should be enough, if it manages to get the 'turn left' in fantastic, if it's too late it needs to stay quiet.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
Two more TTS sound issues added to the OP.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
NorfolkMustard wrote:I was just about to put a note up saying the same as #4. I only got it since reinstalling yesterday.
It was only after a comment by someone about them I thought to test. This release was in beta for 10 weeks yet I didn't once think to try a Non TTS voice instead I (futilely) focused on trying to get Waze to fix the TTS voice issues.

I guess even if it have been reported in beta it might not have been fixed ... :cry:
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
Added another item for pronunciation of the word 'Close' and annotated CentreCode BUG numbers for those that have access.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Dave2084 wrote:This is likely to lead to a lot of URs
Any chance of some standard responses appearing on the UK UR Wiki please?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
My app decided to upgrade itself, without asking my permission. :evil:

Haven't driven with the new version yet, but two things I notice straightaway.

"Favourites" seems to be cluttered with every destination I've ever saved there, and I do save quite a lot as I have learnt to locate destinations at home on Wifi and save them for later, since there may not be phone access when I want to go there. That doesn't mean that I want every place I went to once last year to be reappear on my favourites now. And why are Waze storing this information anyway?

There's a "friends" icon cluttering up a significant portion of the map space. And unlike the other icons that sometimes appear in the central map space, it's not see-through. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by fieldenm
For the last two days, I have tried Google Navigation again - the first time in nearly a year. I can report that it has improved a lot. The dynamic re-routing, traffic and ETA are all seriously impressive. The map is impressive - even labelling alternative ETA's if your potential route branches ahead. The TTS seemed spot on and very slick.

I'm a huge fan of Waze, and will be reluctant to defect, but for those needing a clean, reliable, dynamic navigation experience, Google Navigation seems difficult to beat - especially now the Waze upgrade appears to have backfired, worsening performance.

Waze must get the basics of navigation right quickly! Otherwise, I doubt additional gimmicks will be sufficient to reverse attrition.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased that I have found a great backup to use when I need clear, reliable navigation.
fieldenm
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
During testing previously about a year ago I found and suggested to Orit that close was changed to clos. It worked and should still be working.

It seems that no local changes were carried over. These small tweaks weren't documented either but it was only through testing that it worked as before.

I don't like how it announces far too early where it'd be only few hundred feet for a turn. Now it's several hundred yards.

Why can't things be left alone when they work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message