Editor Rank Question

[ img ]

Moderators: delilush, Australia Managers

Editor Rank Question

Postby MapQuest556 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 am

Hey, everyone,

Just had a quick question on rank. Since I've recently moved from Canada (where the ranks are manually managed), I've been trying to see whether Australia has anything similar, or if it's an automatic rank-up place.

Not having found anything, I'm now wondering whether someone can answer these quick questions for me:

• Are editor ranks manually managed here, or automatically?
  • What are rank thresholds? Are they similar/same as ones in the wiki or different?

Thanks in advance!
MapQuest556

Re: Editor Rank Question

Postby ituajr » Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 am

MapQuest556 wrote:Hey, everyone,

Just had a quick question on rank. Since I've recently moved from Canada (where the ranks are manually managed), I've been trying to see whether Australia has anything similar, or if it's an automatic rank-up place.

Not having found anything, I'm now wondering whether someone can answer these quick questions for me:

• Are editor ranks manually managed here, or automatically?
  • What are rank thresholds? Are they similar/same as ones in the wiki or different?

Thanks in advance!

(a) Editor ranks are automatic up to L3, then sort of by-appointment for L4 and above.
(b) The thresholds in the Wazeo article (3000, 25000, 100000 edits) seem to be right for Australia. I have checked the ranks and edit counts for 16 current editors, and they all had the right ranks for their edit counts.

As usual with Waze, there are hidden complications. An overseas visitor might have a rank higher or lower than we'd expect because of his home country rules. Ranks can be manually set (including downgrading) for special cases.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
74000 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8200 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MapQuest556 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:08 am

Ah, alright. So, in theory, I shouldn't really worry about ranking up for a while yet, then!
MapQuest556

Postby ituajr » Mon May 27, 2019 3:58 am

MapQuest556 wrote:Ah, alright. So, in theory, I shouldn't really worry about ranking up for a while yet, then!

Yeah. And the area you've working in is well-established, so you're not likely to find a lot of new roads to map. As it says in https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Australia/Main_Page#Waze_Editing_Philosophy: "New editors are often keen to add as much as possible to the map. The reality is that the established metro areas have been pretty comprehensively mapped, and you're unlikely to find much that needs doing. Focus on new housing developments, where the Waze map hasn't caught up. "
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
74000 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8200 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Vestigal » Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 am

Welcome from Aussie land. If your rank has been manually managed by the folks in Canada, you will retain that rank in Australia, however future rank upgrades will be subject to our frameworks for it. If you're interested, please join our Discord server (the link to join is in my signature), it's where we discuss almost everything on a daily basis, and where you can talk to more experienced editors in order to help you find some things to do :)
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
30,000km driven with Waze. 2900 UR's Resolved.
State Manager Victoria & NSW, AM Greater Perth
Partner Coordinator, Australia.
Join us in the Waze Australia Discord Server.
Vestigal
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Return to Australia