Incorrect suburbs / Suburb limits

Moderators: Unholy, ps_au, amitbena

Incorrect suburbs / Suburb limits

Postby pipelongar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Since I started using Waze, I have noticed when driving that very often the application shows the incorrect suburb, and I've seen a number of Update Requests about the same issue, Incorrect Suburbs. A very common suburb that shows almost everywhere I drive is Windsor (btw, I live in QLD).

I have noticed that in Cartouche, many unidentified roads (the red ones) have Windsor (there are other problematic suburbs like Paddington, Newstead, Red Hill, etc. but let’s just talk about Windsor as example) as city name by default, and I thought that was the problem. I thought that those roads where pulling the suburb limits incorrectly. So I started changing as many new roads as I could, putting the correct suburb, hoping that this would fix the problem, but the problem was still there. And newly recorded roads, especially in new areas, would have Windsor as default city.

So I decided to write to alpha asking for help. The reply was not only helpful but also very interesting. What happens is that those problematic suburbs exist also in other states. For example there is Windsor in QLD, VIC and NSW. So, yes, there are streets pulling the suburb limits but they are in other states!

The solution is something that was discussed in another thread (http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=4704). This is, to add the state to the name of the suburb. This should be a temporary solution while a State field is added to the system. The person from the alpha team who replied to my email said that they have updated the incorrect suburbs that I reported adding the state name, example ‘Oxley QLD’ and ‘Oxley VIC’.

So it seems that adding the state to the name of the suburb is definitely the way to go for now.
pipelongar

Re: Incorrect suburbs / Suburb limits

Postby drraspberry » Mon May 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I was having the same problem in my area. Thanks for the info
drraspberry

Postby hawknz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:31 am

Since pipelongar's post in April 2011, there still does not seem to be any update/fix on this yet.
I've also noticed with the new Map Editor, that if you select several streets to bulk-edit, the State option lists only as "Other".
Brisbane, Queensland, AUSTRALIA
AM: SE QLD
Waze 3.5.3.0 • Samsung Galaxy S2 • Android 4.1.2
hawknz

Postby pipelongar » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:28 am

The problem shows up again as soon as someone enters a suburb that exists in another state.
Hopefully with the new editor we will have soon a way to enter a proper state, and not just Other as it is at the moment.

We don't have that many states and territories here in Australia, so it doesn't seem that hard to divide all the roads in their proper states.
pipelongar

Postby purpp1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks for that, I have been wondering about some randomly occurring suburb names (I too had tried checking the name of every single road in sight, with no luck).

The problem though, is that I get errant suburb names showing up, but as far as I can tell there are no, or very few segments named that way in any area I can edit. So it isn't actually a problem I can fix. :|
purpp1
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby xtago » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

pipelongar wrote:The problem shows up again as soon as someone enters a suburb that exists in another state.
Hopefully with the new editor we will have soon a way to enter a proper state, and not just Other as it is at the moment.

We don't have that many states and territories here in Australia, so it doesn't seem that hard to divide all the roads in their proper states.

I don't think that would alter much.

Seeing as some highways have suburbs tagged on them that are in the wrong suburb, or having roads with one way with a suburb on it and the other way with another suburb on it.

maybe highways should drop the suburb or maybe an overall city as a suburb that way it'd have such a low % of the overall local roads suburb name.

I do notice the overall suburb name only comes from the name of the roads in that area, on the map editable or not.

The map isn't 100% updated as yet, I think it's still stuck at 24/7 all the hardware updates have caused the big delay maybe some other problems along the way but hopefully they will be able to do weekly or daily updates soon.

So a lot of these problems might get cleared up fairly quick.
xtago

Postby cjsimmons » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Yes, this is an annoying problem. Especially when a road has a suburb name that comes from another state. I had to find a road in another state and change it's suburb as it had the NSW suburb in it.

The sooner Waze adds the AU state to the editor, the better.
ImageImage
iPhone 6+ | Area Manager: Shellharbour City, NSW, Australia
cjsimmons
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Danbolator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm

So it seems Waze has updated the cities layer. there's indications that this will be a more common occurance as well.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26803&hilit=cities+layer&start=140#p294790
eshabtai wrote:Cities polygons should be more up to date, basically on every map update.
The addition of state is still on our todo list and not part of new infra.

Ehud

i've been adding ", NSW" to all the suburbs i've edited- the "todo" list reference is very ambiguous and there's still heaps of cities that span states. i don't want to add to the problem by excluding state but i also don't want to create a future problem (can cities be bulk-edited by Waze staff?) -
any thoughts on how i should proceed?
Android and iPad | Area Manager : Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Danbolator

Postby brad321 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:45 am

Hopefully a few of the city problems will disappear with the more frequent city layer updates.
Windsor is a particularly prevalent one here in Melbourne also. There appears to be a huge city of Windsor spanning at least Sydney, Melbourne & possibly Brisbane. I have fixed the Melbourne Windsor. It would be nice if a Sydneyite could go and edit the western Sydney Windsor to something appropriate like 'Windsor NSW'. There are only a handful of streets at this stage so it should only take 5 minutes. Use the WME Highlighter addon to see all the relevant streets.
This whole problem is so obvious in the city layer view. It will be too difficult to repair until the Waze gods give us our 8 states.
It appears that in the early days the "Too far away error" was not part of the editor. It now is, so new problems cannot be started but it seems to be possible to extend existing problems. If someone hits enter when trying to choose Wangaratta and accidentally selects Windsor it sometimes does not complain and extends the city of Windsor even further......
Does anyone know if it is possible to discover what city one of the colour polygons from City Layer thinks it belongs to?
AM - NE Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
brad321
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby pcp192 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 am

We have a discussion going in New Zealand about how to best use the City field and whether it should be populated with city, suburb, town, or even left blank in rural areas. Reading the posts here it sounds like you've done a bit of work already in this area in Australia.
I couldn't see anything in your Wiki pages on use of the City field- do you have a standard approach to how this field is used that we could learn from?

The issues we're trying to solve include the correct appearance of names on the map for cities, suburbs (within cities), smaller towns and rural areas. We're also proposing the use of alternative names to aid in searching where either the city or suburb name might be used.

There's only a few people involved in the discussion at the moment so looking for external input and ideas. Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated.
Image Image
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Australia