Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by purpp1
Hi people's, another recent-ish waze-or here in Canberra. Got a couple of questions, apologies if there are answered a million times, other places, I haven't come across them.

[1] A question of zoom levels. Does anyone else have trouble zooming out far enough, both on the live map or on a phone client? I recently drove up to Parkes (about 300km). Most of the trip didn't t register (due to no coverage then flat phone). Trying to scroll across hundreds of Kms to find a town is really slow, yet if I try and zoom out, the roads disappear....? On the 'puter I simply can't zoom out far enough.

[2] Anyone help with an idea about when updates made will appear on the client? I have read various things in different places about time frames varying from 24hrs to a few weeks. I'm wondering what current experience is? I read what someone said earlier in this thread, about reloading the app, but that didn't seem to make any changes.

Cheers everyone. :o)
purpp1
Send a message

Post by purpp1
Thanks Hawknz,

Right after I posted that I read on the Status Page that it will be happening about now. It will be nice to see some changes come through on my phone.

It really seems that waze will never really be ideal outside the cities until internet connectivity is everywhere....
purpp1
Send a message

Post by quicklier
Hey all,
Also (very) new to Waze and have been set as an Area Manager for a big chunk of Melbourne.
Have redesigned the CBD - WHAT A MESS!

Have spent quite a bit of time redesigning the M1, it's pretty tough and am only 50% through the Montague St interchange (I'd love to have some aerial mapping that was slightly better detail).

Also worked on the Citylink/Tullamarine freeway out past the Ring Road.

Unfortunately, nothing that I've done within cartouche is showing on my iPhone or the 'Live map'.
As a result I've stopped making any further updates as I'm worried my hours of contribution will be for nothing.

Once/If it gets updated I'll continue working on the M1 (will probably just focus on the area between the bridges and the tunnels until I'm happy with their alignment and connectivity.
quicklier
Send a message

Post by quicklier
I spoke too soon!
(or my emails to waze were actioned :D)

Melbourne CBD is looking much more usable!

Now to focus on the M1 and Citylink
quicklier
Send a message

Post by supersleeper
Uninstall Waze and then reinstall it to update all of your data....or drive through that particular area and the "tiles" update...apparently - I usually just uninstall and reinstall.

Yeah - I though it wasn't updating till someone told me this.........waiting for the "update map" function to come along...
supersleeper
Send a message

Post by waynemcdougall
jerren wrote:Hi People,

If you are looking for better aerials look up googze, it is a script that allows you to use google maps in the cartouche on Google Chrome or Firefox.

Makes a massive difference to your mapping ability
Google's terms of use means that Waze cannot use their aerial images.

Those terms of use also apply to you. You cannot use Google's aerial images to edit Waze's maps. In some jurisidictions you may be able to use them as a reference (like looking at a map in a mapbook), but not as an overlay like Googze.

If you were to do such a thing, it would taint all the work you did and Waze would need to reverse out all your edits. There could be other adverse effects. Waze has already had to remove all the maps for Chile, and other South American countries because the source of the map data was not legal (not Waze's fault).

So do not use Google's aerial images as a replacement for Waze's when doing map editing.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by waynemcdougall
kevstark wrote:G'day All,
Has anyone come across difficulty with creating new maps in areas without data reception? I've done a couple of trips through central Queensland recently and have found that most of my roads never turned up in Cartouche. I think there's also a bug in waze that corrupts the new recorded road data after 60km or so. Most of the roads I travel don't have intersections for 200km or so and 90% of that is out of signal coverage (thanks to droptus...)

This also relates to the problem where roads have been mapped, but the phone doesn't have signal to download them. Anyone have ideas on how to get the waze client to cache 500+km in every direction? I'd settle for ~50km cache radius if possible?

Mapping anything other than the capital cities is going to be tricky at this rate...

Cheers,
Kev.
I'm sure you'll get some great advice from the Outback here. Let me offer some comments:

1. Some people have found "Enable Data Compression" helps in these situations. It's on the iPhone under Settings/Data usage. Other phone platforms may not have (or need) this option
2. I find Waze is better at sending the GPS data points back, then it is at road recording. I think it may try really hard to cache the GPS points. So in places where my road recording has petered out, I've been able to go back and finish the roads with the GPS points layer in Cartouche.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by xtago
purp_p1 wrote:[1] A question of zoom levels. Does anyone else have trouble zooming out far enough, both on the live map or on a phone client? I recently drove up to Parkes (about 300km). Most of the trip didn't t register (due to no coverage then flat phone). Trying to scroll across hundreds of Kms to find a town is really slow, yet if I try and zoom out, the roads disappear....? On the 'puter I simply can't zoom out far enough.
On a computer the live map should zoom out to the planet it does that for me.

On the editor though it'll only zoom out so far probably where only highways can be seen and that's it.

Use the address bar to get to different places quickly.

You'll find that trip will be logged and will get updated but only once the client has sent to logs to the server, you should see that in a day or 2, as it updates every day again.

[2] Anyone help with an idea about when updates made will appear on the client? I have read various things in different places about time frames varying from 24hrs to a few weeks. I'm wondering what current experience is? I read what someone said earlier in this thread, about reloading the app, but that didn't seem to make any changes.

Cheers everyone. :o)
There has been some major hardware updates done to the NA and world servers.

That's why the maps didn't get updated for about 2 months.

They are currently doing 2 week updates then move into 1 week updates and if everything works out to plan it'll be daily updates.

Reloading the app won;t make the maps update the server have to process everything first then you can get updated maps, there's a setting that allows you to download the maps (so you don't need to uninstall and reload the app at all) I think this downloads the whole of Australia then the app will just update titles as needed or when there is new ones to grab.
xtago
Send a message

Post by yud_
Same with Sydney. Great to see how more and more roads are being added/updated daily...
yud_
Send a message