Intelematics Data

Post by AlpacaBloke
Seeing a lot of reports on the map from Intelematics - I see the potential benefit of this but at the moment it's not really adding a lot (at least, not here in little old Adelaide). There are road work reports where there are no roadworks and I was caught out last night by an accident report that had been cleared up long before.

The trouble is that while a report from another wazer is time-stamped so that you get an idea of how up-to-date it is, these things appear to be constantly updating so that they are rarely more than a minute old. So, in last night's example, there was this accident shown on South Road as 'reported' about a minute before so I took a detour only to see the road clear and flowing freely at the accident location when it was too late for me to safely change back.

So, are any of the following options possible to reduce the impact of what I'm coming to view as map-spam?
- Better time-stamping of automated reports
- Ability for live wazers to correct errors
- Ability to opt out of seeing these reports
AlpacaBloke

POSTER_ID:17043486

Send a message

Post by AliG2605
I came across a UR about Intelematic reporting road works in near the ACT/NSW border that weren't there.

I found this web page http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/contact-u ... xperience/ and filled out the form stating "Report says 'Lane(s) closed due to Roadworks on Barton Highway Northbound in Capital Territory between Kuringa Drive and Murrumbateman Road.' by Intelematics.I am a volunteer Waze map editor and need to find a way to provide feedback that some of your data is wrong or out of date. What is the best way of doing this?."

I receive the following response:
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for your enquiry about Waze traffic messages. To answer your question, yes this is the correct email to inform us of any errors on Waze labelled from Intelematics.
We have forwarded your email to our traffic team to review the incident.
"

I think the report of road works relates to a proposed upgrade that will take place over several years in stages, so having the report of road works at the beginning and end of the entire length to be upgraded isn't very useful.

So I guess if we have issues with these Intelmatic reports we fill out their report form…
AliG2605
Send a message

Post by yajmai
I agree that there needs to be more contextual information with these reports. I've come across many reports of roadworks which feeds from the NSW RMS Live Traffic site which have no date or time information whatsoever.

There are occasions when they could be informative and give you an explanation of why there is traffic building ahead - however if you're travelling through when the works aren't taking place it's extremely unhelpful or even may make people detour unnecessarily.

This influx of superfluous reports could lead to users experiencing report fatigue and they may begin to ignore reports altogether.

Unless these reports are specifically tailored to appear only when they're active they should be given their own category and the ability to be hidden.
yajmai
Send a message