Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Speed Limits in Australia Wazing?

Post by nibby34
Could it be true?
As it hasent been posted here yet i might have too be careful with this one..
Personally i have been adding speed limits too roads around the local area that i know of
as have noticed in Waze toolbox that it now offers a speed feature , this shows which roads have been added with speed limits and red for no speeds added so far

here is the link to Unholys post
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=165746
will wait too see if Mr holey has more too say when the time comes.

Lets hope this comes too fruition soon as it would be a good thing too have

Thank you
nibby34

POSTER_ID:14690713

Send a message

Post by lakeyboy
jab_au wrote:I wonder how we should handle variable speed limits, Electronic signs, school zone etc. I'm not talking about temporary changes like roadworks.
School zones we will unfortunately have to ignore until time restrictions are added. For variable limits, the most common speed limit on the road should be included. (i.e, if it's 40 most of the time and only 60 some of the time, mark it as 40.)
lakeyboy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Proud Melburnian and Australian Country Manager.
Map edits: 322,000+ | Distance travelled: 134,050km+ | Reports made: 3660+
Join in more Australian Waze discussion on Discord!: https://discordapp.com/channels/446249570423406605

Post by lakeyboy
Agree. Unless the speed limit change is right near an existing junction, a new junction should be made to separate speed limits.
lakeyboy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Join in more Australian Waze discussion on Discord!: https://discordapp.com/channels/446249570423406605

Post by lakeyboy
As far as i'm aware, for the vast majority of Aussie Wazers, speed limits have NOT been activated yet. Perhaps we need to ask for guidance from Waze HQ about how much more effort we need to put in to get activation. Similar to what happened a while ago with fuel prices. I think our vast regional road network is holding us back. Filling in major metropolitan roads isn't enough.
lakeyboy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lakeyboy
It's my understanding that the speed limit feature is not dependent on the app being public or beta, Waze will turn it on for the countries when they reach the required quota of speed limits added to roads. Happy to be corrected on this.
lakeyboy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lakeyboy
Can confirm speed limits in Melbourne are now live. This morning they weren't but this evening they have now been enabled. Excellent! :D :D :D I'm guessing its available nationwide now wherever there is data?
lakeyboy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by nibby34
with variable speed limits im sure people would use their grey matter over what waze would tell you too do , not sure how tomtoms and the other big gps's handle that function either . no doubt in times too come there might be a function too add that there is a variable speed say through road works like the little things we have now like hazard , police and so forth.. just a guess
first e have to get some more speed added too the WME
nibby34
Send a message

Post by nibby34
nope i dont have speed limits set on mine either
sat behind someone today near Toombul at about 12.15pm who was using an ipad and i could see they had speedlimits activated.maybe beta tester
wonder when the bulk of us will get the feature?
nibby34
Send a message

Post by nibby34
the last update i got said one of the new updates was speed limits to help wazers not get pinched with speeding , still nothing.
nibby34
Send a message

Post by PerthSteve
At first I thought whoever edited the segment last had added these speed limits, but then I saw the verified box and guessed that there was some automatic process of adding limits. Pretty much every primary street I've seen is incorrect, with segments varying between 50 and 60, sometimes it's 50 one way and 60 the other way. I think they shouldn't have added these limits as it's misleading information. If there's no speed sign it's 50km/h, but if the app is telling you 60 then it could be a real problem.

As for the script, my toolbox shows the speed limit colours, even if it's unverified.
PerthSteve
Send a message