What to do about street names without official abbreviations?

Only use official abbreviations with the rest spelled in full
50%
All street names should have abbreviations (make a custom list)
50%

Total votes: 2

Poll - Street unlisted abbreviations

Post by ispyisail
It appears that most people are comfortable with the AS/NZS 4819 standard. The question then arises what to do about street names (abbreviations) that are not listed on AS/NZS 4819.

AS/NZS 4819 states that if its not on the list (around 50) then it should be spelled in full.

For this poll we will assume that we have an official wiki page with all AS/NZS 4819 abbreviations plus any agreed exceptions.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:5851995

Send a message

Post by TimAThing
I abstain from this vote. Primarily, I value speed over precision; we've been kicking this around for over a year, I'd rather see us with a solution that addresses 90% of the problems (we can make other changes later if needed). If there's any sort of consensus then I'll support that over my personal preferences.

My preference is to allow some additional to AS/NZS 4819, provided that adding them solves more problems than it causes. Saving screen space = good. Using abbreviations that make it harder for novice Waze users to find or recognise destinations in search results or the map = bad. To my mind, this means:
  1. Used enough to warrant it - if you can't find at least half a dozen of them in a state, it's not worth the bother. (Someone's assertion is enough for me, I'm not going to ask for proof.)
  2. Recognisable enough to be valuable - if you polled ten random people and two or three of them struggled to identify what the abbreviation is, then it's probably going to cause more problems than spelling out the entire word.
  3. Long enough that abbreviating it is beneficial. If it's only removing one letter (or two letters from something 7+ letters long) I say don't bother.
  4. Not going to cause confusion with something else. (I'm concerned about Br for Brace, because the first thing I'd think of seeing Br is Bridge)
TimAThing
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
L5, State Manager for NSW and Tasmania
Country Manager, Australia