U-turn arrows

Post by B_Carp
Could I please seek clarification on what to do with U-turn arrows at the ends of road segments? A couple of years ago, my understanding of the instructions was to make all these arrows red. The problem with green arrows was something along the lines of Waze going all happy with U-turns & making drivers U-turn all over the place instead of taking straight lines. Or something like that. As you know, there is even a little check box in WME Toolbox to show up green U-turn arrows so they can be corrected.

However, another editor has started experimenting with green arrows & I have come across this:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_Editing_ ... de#U-turns

It seems that the instructions are now to place green U-turn arrows whenever it is legal. That means that all those little intersections on suburban streets should be made with green U-turn arrows?

Could this please be clarified?
B_Carp

POSTER_ID:17078379

Send a message

Post by au_skoota
I noted that in the Carlingford area that the U-turn arrows have been made green on segments of road where it would be:
A. dangerous to perform a U-turn; and,
B. illegal to perform the U-turn at the locations specified.

Specifically referring to this stretch of road: Permalink

I have changed all the U-turn arrows at intersections back to red in this area, as far as practical.

Listening to instructions telling me to do a U-turn at every intersection on a stretch of road where it was clearly impossible to do a U-Turn was not helpful, imho.
au_skoota
Send a message

Post by au_skoota
F1r3foxx wrote:I think the issues with u-turn in many places is that whilst it may be legal to do so, it is only legal if there is no obstructing of traffic.
If Waze is giving people a u-turn instruction, and they have to stop for the traffic to clear, then it is not legal, unlike a right hand turn would be.
In my opinion, the better option would be to instruct drivers to navigate around the block, unless there is a lane which can be facilitated for the u-turn.
This is my opinion also, and was the intent originally when U-turn arrows were first introduced.

Can someone please indicate the time when it became proper form to mark U-turns as valid at every intersection?

Also, I would like to point out that it is illegal to do a U-turn over a double yellow line. The stretch of road I indicated has U-turns placed at points where it is definitely illegal to do the U-turn over a double yellow line. For the record, I drove down that road every day this week, but frankly, it seems like that doesn't matter.

The user experience of Waze will be for the worse, imho, if U-turns are marked green at every intersection...
au_skoota
Send a message

Post by au_skoota
stevethompson49 wrote:
In future, if there's anything that I've done with which you disagree, I'd appreciate you contacting me and not just undoing my work.
For the record, I was not aware that you'd changed all of the u-turn arrows on this stretch of road in the first place.

Now... This is not a new road segment, it has been in the Waze system for many years. There are double yellow lines all along this road. Doing u-turns on this road is straight-out illegal. I won't go into an argument about that, instead, I challenge you to do a u-turn on this road with a police officer watching you.
au_skoota
Send a message

Post by Caradellino
Waze gives no guidance on implementation of local traffic rules, this is on the community...which is particularly hard, if the local resident editors are not in agreement on them in the first place. Being a little off site, I can't help you on the traffic rule issue.
What I can offer is some general guidance: Waze shall never suggest an illegal move, Waze should now any legal moves to make use of it when calculating the optimal route to outsmart traffic. To indicate a legal but difficult turn there is the checkmark in the time based restrictions tab of every turn arrow.
Once you sort out the rules issue it should be clear now, how to get the mapping done.

Thank you for your contribution and cooperation :mrgreen:
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by Caradellino
No objection, still you can indicate in the allowed time that is is difficult and not recommended.
In the time of the restriction the checkmark is completely ignored, of course.
So I was not implying that TBR has a connection to difficult turns, it's just that the location of that chexbox is located in the TBR tab...
Caradellino
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Greets...and keep on wazing
Caradellino, CM for:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Common ... /Mysig.png
AT-Wiki | Team Austria | Wie Waze Routen kalkuliert
Australian Wiki
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Post by F1r3foxx
stevethompson49 wrote:One suggestion, make all segments green for u-turns by default and let the driver follow the law and safety in deciding to follow the instruction or not.
Aarrgh! We're all gonna die! :lol:
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by F1r3foxx
I think the issues with u-turn in many places is that whilst it may be legal to do so, it is only legal if there is no obstructing of traffic.
If Waze is giving people a u-turn instruction, and they have to stop for the traffic to clear, then it is not legal, unlike a right hand turn would be.
In my opinion, the better option would be to instruct drivers to navigate around the block, unless there is a lane which can be facilitated for the u-turn.
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
TimAThing wrote:That said, in terms of Moseley St/Baker St as previously linked, the U-turns currently on there all seem to be legal. I'd question how safe the ones at Sun Valley Place are, but I don't have real-life experience with that road to base comments on.
I have just read this thread from start to finish and I do recall some previous threads on similar discussions ie how waze should be made to direct drivers, legal v safe discussions, drivers are responsible for their own actions.

All these type of discussions have come up before.

Waze is meant to direct drivers based on the fastest/shortest route and following all legal road rules for that particular State or Territory. It is up to the driver to decide whether a particular turn is safe to make, or not. A turn that is safe or easy at 3am, might not be at 5:30pm, for instance.

Therefore, based on the comments from TimAThing, all the u turns on Moseley/Baker St as previously linked should be allowed, and so should Sun Valley Place. It is then up to the driver to make their decisions as to whether to accept the u turn instruction, or drive on.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
Caradellino wrote:To indicate a legal but difficult turn there is the checkmark in the time based restrictions tab of every turn arrow.
Here in Australia, we have turns that are sign posted as illegal between certain hours of the day. Say M-F 7am to 9am.

Therefore, I think this option of whether to allow a turn at other times is already covered ;)
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.