Post by F1r3foxx
I generally use it for the poor visibility occasions.
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by glomp
There is a big delay added to the difficult turn, which is applied for the entire day.
So if you only have problems making the turn, say in peak hours, then in the middle of the night when no one is around and the turn is easy to do, the delay is still in force.
Then you are going to have to deal with the UR's that will appear.
glomp
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by KTCAOP
We have had it in Los Angeles for a while, generally they are there for what we call unprotected left turns (turns from a stop sign into an arterial or something like that). For difficult turn combinations, yes, there isn't much we can do at the moment outside of junction boxes but that is probably overkill.
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by mcSpeedy135
ituajr wrote:
B_Carp wrote:I have not been able to reproduce this issue, using the one difficult turn segment that I know about in the area.
I've sent a PM to mcSpeedy135 asking him to try his test case again to see whether they've fixed the problem.
Hi all,

Sorry didn't know this thread existed :) The Difficult Turn bug has been fixed - I didn't receive any update on the original thread, but I tested it on segments which previously didn't work, and it works great now.

I'm not sure if it was an app update, or a back-end routing engine update, but I can no longer make the issue happen now.

Cheers, mcspeedy135
mcSpeedy135
Send a message

Post by theclem54
Hi team, I don't drop in much anymore but will leave my 2c on this one.

The majority of users benefit from using Waze during heavy traffic periods. For the best benefit of time-saving, fuel-saving and carbon reduction as a whole (to the whole userbase, not the night-owls), we should be making decisions based on morning and afternoon peaks, not 2 am.

A turn can be considered difficult for many reasons including but not limited to the following:
- Turn right across 2 or more lanes of traffic either
- - into stopped or continuously flowing traffic in the direction the driver wishes to travel; or
- - across stopped or flowing traffic opposite to the direction the user wishes to travel.
- Difficult right turn due to poor visibility from
- - a crest; or
- - a corner; or
- - another obstacle

The poor visibility reason applies all day long. The traffic reason only applies during medium to heavy traffic periods.

The reason I see for needing the difficult turn option as opposed to relying on traffic data is two-fold. Firstly, as has already been pointed out, the driver turning left will, in fact, corrupt the left turn data for that intersection (how do you think the app collects data when a driver has no route programmed in, not terribly different to when a route is plugged in I think you'll find). Secondly, when turning into stopped traffic, often a gap will be opened up for drivers (this probably depends what city you drive in and how many arseholes are on the road that day), faster than a traffic light but much riskier and more mentally draining (watching for traffic, making sure the gap was intentional etc.).
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message