Suffix abbreviation for Avenue

Post by F1r3foxx
The Australian wiki states that the abbreviation for 'Avenue' should be 'Av'. It mentions Ave being common insofar as being used bu Aust Post.
The general wiki says to use 'Ave'.

'Av' does not TTS to the word avenue, whereas 'Ave' does.
Therefore I think the wiki should be updated to use 'Ave' as the standard abbreviation.
F1r3foxx

POSTER_ID:17019368

Send a message

Post by AnthonyBgetOutOfMyWay
Just read through all the threads... all I can say is "wow.."

Can someone just make the damn app work as intended with both Ave and Av and worry about who is right and who is wrong and who is the best standard somewhere else? FFS, it is what it is.
AnthonyBgetOutOfMyWay
Send a message

Post by AnthonyBgetOutOfMyWay
ituajr wrote:
AnthonyBgetOutOfMyWay wrote:Can someone just make the damn app work as intended with both Ave and Av and worry about who is right and who is wrong and who is the best standard somewhere else? FFS, it is what it is.
Settle down. You've obviously seen that a group of experienced and motivated editors identified a problem, produced a specification for what should be done, got agreement on the spec, and then... nothing.

Take the helicopter view, and ask yourself why this happened. Do you think:
(a) They all got bored after putting in the hard work, lost their motivation, and wandered away to do something else
(b) They ran into a bottleneck/blockage which prevented them from progressing further.

Reminds me of the old computer systems support saying: Everything is "easy" according to the person who wants it done but has never done it and has no idea what's involved.
Yep, I know exactly what happened because I make a living doing this sort of thing. I know exactly what those meetings and discussions are like and the stalemates and roadblocks and lack of clarity on the way forward. :D

That's exactly why my comment was what it was. Because I am used to taking that step back out of the weeds and saying "what do our users want?" when a conversation gets so bogged down in semantics or other technical issues. At the end of the day, there is still a user experience problem right now impacting users every day while this discussion runs out of steam and ends up in the 'too hard (for now) parking lot' until someone has the energy to resurect the discussion.

To me, this feels like a time where a work-around (make both options work) should be considered in the short-term to resolve the immediate user-experience issue, until the hard discussion finds it's way to a resolution and creates a permanent long-term solution.

No disrespect intended to anyone, just want to remind folks that there is a shitty user experience impacting people (including me) every day and hopefully that reminder serves as motivation.
AnthonyBgetOutOfMyWay
Send a message

Post by F1r3foxx
glomp wrote:The Australian wiki overrides the general wiki. We don't follow Australian Post.
Understood, but the App doesn't pronounce Av properly.
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by F1r3foxx
Thanks for that

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by F1r3foxx
So I had a read through, and it appears this issue has been unresolved for more or less one year.

"The fix is easy. (to address missing TTS)

If you decide that you want to use "Av" just add it to that sheet and it will be live within 24 hours of a working day."

Apparently consensus was required, so the poll was taken with 90%+ agreement 4 months ago.

So, are there any next steps to making the 24 hour fix happen?
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by glomp
The Australian wiki overrides the general wiki. We don't follow Australian Post.
glomp
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by glomp
There are a number of abbreviations that are pronounced incorrectly.
It is a matter of compiling a list and getting the abbreviations TTS list updated.
glomp
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ptrkl
Any updates in regards to this?
ptrkl
Send a message

Post by TimAThing
AnthonyBgetOutOfMyWay wrote:Yep, I know exactly what happened because I make a living doing this sort of thing. I know exactly what those meetings and discussions are like and the stalemates and roadblocks and lack of clarity on the way forward. :D
It wouldn't surprise me if you and I work in the same profession.
That's exactly why my comment was what it was. Because I am used to taking that step back out of the weeds and saying "what do our users want?" when a conversation gets so bogged down in semantics or other technical issues. At the end of the day, there is still a user experience problem right now impacting users every day while this discussion runs out of steam and ends up in the 'too hard (for now) parking lot' until someone has the energy to resurect the discussion.

To me, this feels like a time where a work-around (make both options work) should be considered in the short-term to resolve the immediate user-experience issue, until the hard discussion finds it's way to a resolution and creates a permanent long-term solution.
The core problem is not in needs identification/elicitation or solution design. The problem is that we do not control the means of implementing the solution or even the workaround. We (volunteer map editors) have sufficient control over the map, but we have no control over the TTS library of abbreviations/translations - that is under the control of Waze itself. The core problem is engagement with Waze in order to implement a solution.
TimAThing
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
L5, State Manager for NSW and Tasmania
Country Manager, Australia