Red light & Speed Camera audio notifications in Australia

Post by
I pass many speed and red-light cameras and could never work out why I never work out why I would sometimes get audio notifications that there is a speed camera ahead for some cameras and not others.

I have cracked the code (sorry if this is already common knowledge).

If you are going faster than the speed set for the camera, an audio warning will be played "Speed camera ahead". If you are going slower, there will be no audio warning. There is no difference in behaviour for speed or red light cameras - for red light you never get an audio warning if you are obeying the speed.

If the speed camera limit is set to 0 in WME, then the audio warning is always played. For those of you with Waze Beta access, this is discussed in BUG-4401.

So my question is, for Australia, how should speed and red light cameras be set? Set to the actual speed limit, in which case only people speeding get notifications, or set to 0 to always trigger notifications?

My preference as a driver would be to be notified for every speed or red light camera, regardless of how fast I am going. Personally I find it quite annoying that I pass red light cameras with no notifications - but thought I would ask the forum to get the consensus on how this should be configured?

For reference this is the screen where the camera speed is set

POSTER_ID:17387289

Send a message

Post by AutoChandler
Not that it really adds much to the discussion, but could this just be due to the number of roads (at various elevations) "in front" of the camera, since AFAIK the camera doesn't get "attached" to a road?
AutoChandler
Send a message

Post by AutoChandler
GarvinGray wrote:it is where the red dot is.
Ah. I can't actually see the dot, so that would be why I couldn't figure it out.
AutoChandler
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
The wiki mentions when audio feedback is given.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Cameras#Camera_Speed

The only case that is not mentioned is red light cameras with a speed set, ie. red light speed cameras. For these, a warning is only given if the speed limit is exceeded.

I personally think it makes no sense for red light cameras with no speed set to always give a warning while those with a speed set give no warning most of the time. I think red light cameras should always give a warning.

However, I agree that speed cameras should only give an audio warning if the speed is exceeded.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
There is no need to set the speed to 0 for red light (no speed) cameras. Setting the speed to <blank> for these tells the app it is a red light (no speed) camera & will alway give an audible warning.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
Wow, so it does! I never noticed that.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
Trying to see this on my mobile, but my understanding is that the "best practice" is to put the camera on the road segment itself, at the point that the camera is triggered by the road sensors.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
The red dot is only visible if you have rights to edit the camera.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
If you look at the road surface carefully, you can see the sensors for the cameras. This will help you determine which directions are being monitored.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by F1r3foxx
Maybe 0 for red light cameras and the actual limit for speed camera?
F1r3foxx
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
My opinion:

Red light camera only: Set to zero. Ensures the countdown and audible warning. As an editor, we get user reports about lack of red light camera warnings. This ensures that they are displayed.

Speed cameras: Set to the speed limit. Speed Camera will always show a pop-up alert, but will only generate an audible alert if the driver is exceeding the set Speed Limit as they approach the camera

Red light/ speed camera combined. Set to zero to ensure the audible warning for red light camera if I have understood the wiki correctly.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.