Red light & Speed Camera audio notifications in Australia

Post by mcSpeedy135
I pass many speed and red-light cameras and could never work out why I never work out why I would sometimes get audio notifications that there is a speed camera ahead for some cameras and not others.

I have cracked the code (sorry if this is already common knowledge).

If you are going faster than the speed set for the camera, an audio warning will be played "Speed camera ahead". If you are going slower, there will be no audio warning. There is no difference in behaviour for speed or red light cameras - for red light you never get an audio warning if you are obeying the speed.

If the speed camera limit is set to 0 in WME, then the audio warning is always played. For those of you with Waze Beta access, this is discussed in BUG-4401.

So my question is, for Australia, how should speed and red light cameras be set? Set to the actual speed limit, in which case only people speeding get notifications, or set to 0 to always trigger notifications?

My preference as a driver would be to be notified for every speed or red light camera, regardless of how fast I am going. Personally I find it quite annoying that I pass red light cameras with no notifications - but thought I would ask the forum to get the consensus on how this should be configured?

For reference this is the screen where the camera speed is set
mcSpeedy135

POSTER_ID:17387289

Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
mcSpeedy135 wrote:
henrysinn wrote:Does anyone know if there's a way to configure WHEN you get an alert?
i.e. A configurable distance before camera etc?
I've noted a few times recently I've SEEN cops/camera etc BEFORE I get an alert (therefore it's arguably too late)
It doesn't seem configurable. I think its 700m before the camera that the alert comes up.
The mobile cops/camera that reporters send via their app operate under a different system than the fixed red light or speed camera that us editors set via the editing map.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... ,104087218

We have received multiple reports from this speed camera location. And I see ps_au, a level 6 editor has attempted to set the speed camera twice at this location.

I would ask that we look into this issue a bit more. The reports are saying that no warnings, either visual, as in the countdown, or verbal warnings, are coming through.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

Post by GarvinGray
AutoChandler wrote:Not that it really adds much to the discussion, but could this just be due to the number of roads (at various elevations) "in front" of the camera, since AFAIK the camera doesn't get "attached" to a road?
The speed camera warnings are related to where the camera is positioned on the road, so if you look in our editing map, it is where the red dot is. That is all that matters for us.

The reason why I brought this discussion here is that the camera is set by a level 6 editor, so, whilst not completely certain of re-setting cameras, I think we need a high level editor to re-set it.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
AutoChandler wrote:
GarvinGray wrote:it is where the red dot is.
Ah. I can't actually see the dot, so that would be why I couldn't figure it out.
I have clicked on both speed cameras and can not see the red dot either.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
I have contacted ps_au by pm and asked for him to look into the issue as he was the one who set the cameras. Also mentioned to him that we have this thread going as well.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
GarvinGray wrote:I have contacted ps_au by pm and asked for him to look into the issue as he was the one who set the cameras. Also mentioned to him that we have this thread going as well.
I went across the Main St speed camera this morning, under the speed limit and received the visual countdown. As far as I am concerned, the system worked exactly as it should.

I did not test the system where I was above the 60 kph speed limit at any stage. So unless any new data comes in, I do not think there is an issue here.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by henrysinn
Does anyone know if there's a way to configure WHEN you get an alert?
i.e. A configurable distance before camera etc?
I've noted a few times recently I've SEEN cops/camera etc BEFORE I get an alert (therefore it's arguably too late)
henrysinn
Send a message

Post by jberkers42
My thoughts on the matter:

Since the only options for camera are as follows:
  • Speed Camera
    • Set the speed to the max speed
    • Audible alert played when exceeding max speed
    • Visible alert always
  • Red Light Camera
    • Speed set to 0 implies "Red Light Camera"
      • Audible alert always for "Red Light Camera"
      • Visible alert always
    • Speed set to > 0 implies "Red Light/Speed Camera"
      • No audible alert for Red Light Camera
      • Audible Alert for Speed Camera when exceeding max speed
      • Visible Alert always, but not clear that it is a combination camera
  • Dummy Camera
    • No settings
With the above combinations it is effectively not possible to configure a single item for Red Light/Speed Camera, and get the appropriate combination of audible notifications.

Does this mean that we need to map both the Speed and Red Light aspects of the camera separately (as separate cameras) in order to get the desired combination of notifications? I have also noticed that the App will only provide one audible notification for some specific time interval, so this probably still won't work.

Does this, therefore, mean we need to push harder on getting the App to give appropriate notifications?

The ideal scenario would be if the App identified to the driver that it was a combination camera in some way.
jberkers42
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c3s.png
70,000 Km Driven with Waze
33 Km Paved

Post by mcSpeedy135
GarvinGray wrote:My opinion:

Red light camera only: Set to zero. Ensures the countdown and audible warning. As an editor, we get user reports about lack of red light camera warnings. This ensures that they are displayed.

Speed cameras: Set to the speed limit. Speed Camera will always show a pop-up alert, but will only generate an audible alert if the driver is exceeding the set Speed Limit as they approach the camera

Red light/ speed camera combined. Set to zero to ensure the audible warning for red light camera if I have understood the wiki correctly.
That's exactly what I would like to see as well!
mcSpeedy135
Send a message