Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Precisa
I believe that Anzac highway should be split, reason being is that the outside lanes are so far apart that anyone with the pave option on, would create a parallel road next to a single Anzac highway.

I suppose that would also mean West terrace needs to stay split, I know the median of that road is small, but it has so many lanes that the outside lanes would end up with new pavings and we would be constantly removing them.

Does that make sense? maybe someone else with more experience than me needs to weigh in.
I might do a forum search on this subject, as i'm sure it has been discussed in other countries before.
Precisa
Send a message

Post by Precisa
pipelongar wrote: I seem to remember a wiki page talking about this, but I can't find it any more, otherwise I'll link it here.
Hopefully I didn't dream about it.
Thanks, I found it.
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Best ... o-Way_Road
So Anzac Hwy falls into the 5 meter split rule, but with all the intersections it possibly should be unsplit.
West terrace has heaps of turns and should be unsplit.

Maybe these few roads need to stay split in Adelaide following these rules.

The south eastern freeway
the northern and southern expressway, when they have duplicated it
Salisbury hwy
Port wakefield rd
Main South rd, O'Halloran hill?
Plus others

high speed with not many intersections for those ones
Precisa
Send a message

Post by Precisa
Just a Question.
What do I name Mt Gambier streets with?
1. "Mt Gambier"
2. "Mount Gambier"
3. "Mount Gambier, SA"

I was thinking the third option as it is the standard full name with the suburb appended by a comma.
Most of the streets are already a mixture of the 1st and 2nd options.

I just thought I would get clarification before I "clean up the town".
Now I have a Ghostbusters song in my head for some reason.
Precisa
Send a message

Post by Precisa
Hey Rich,
I believe that when a road is the boundary of two suburbs, that you can choose which suburb to name it.
I would choose the most well know, as when there is a traffic report on that road, announcing a popular suburb will help more than a lesser known suburb.

Or you could leave it blank, making sure the sides roads are allocated to suburbs, so a report would say "road near suburb"

Or there might be a rule somewhere in the wiki, but I could not see it

Ash
Precisa
Send a message

Post by Precisa
chipsandcurry wrote: I'm slightly concerned that map edits that i submitted nearly 4 weeks ago have not yet appeared on the live map, but that's only a side issue.
checking the update status here http://status.waze.com

I see the international tiles should be updated tomorrow.
they had a delay due to testing a new infrastructure that will make the updates more frequent.

maybe it stop routing me through closed express way bridges that I disconnected 6 weeks ago
Precisa
Send a message

Post by Precisa
Agreed, I think they were initially labelled based on name.
where Streets were streets, Roads were Primary Streets, Highways were highways when the speed was 110.
maybe we should now follow the Route naming system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highways_i ... ing_System
M = Major Highway e.g. South Eastern Freeway
A = Minor Highway e.g. South Road
B = Primary Street in Metro, Minor Highway in Rural? e.g South Road to Victor Harbour

Maybe we can fill in the Alternative names with as well
E.g. Southern Expressway, Alt name is M2, type Major Highway
Precisa
Send a message

Post by Precisa
Although it feels weird driving on a highway with traffic lights stopping the flow

here is the definition of the routing system from my link

"M" Routes
Primary highways; called motorways in publications. These are typically dual carriageway freeway standard highways. They connect capital cities to each other or to bigger rural cities and are also applicable to major city freeways. Interchanges may either be graded or level. They carry high volumes of traffic and bypass settlements, towns and sometimes cities. The term motorway was used as more politically acceptable than tollway when some previously designated freeways were given tollbooths.
"A" Routes
Single carriageway interstate or interregional primary highways. Traffic volume less than "M" routes but with ample overtaking lanes, sealed shoulders and markings. They may pass through or bypass town centres.
"B" Routes
Secondary highways linking together major towns on different "A" routes including certain lesser important former national routes. In addition, they may include major bypassed sections of former "A" or "M" routes and significant tourist routes. They are reasonably good quality sealed roads with shoulders either sealed or not.
"C" Routes
Roads linking smaller settlements and towns to "A", "B" or "M" routes. May also be applied to short bypassed sections of former "A" routes. Fully sealed surface but of moderate to poor quality and may or may not have shoulders.
"D" Routes
These are unsealed roads linking very small remote towns. The term is used in this sense only in South Australia so far and is generally applied to unsealed roads and tracks or unsealed extensions of "B" or "C" routes. Roads/tracks are of various quality for an unsealed road. Use of 4 wheel drive vehicles are recommended for some "D" Routes. Another meaning, in New South Wales, "D" routes refer to detour routes. An example of this is the D5 which provides motorists with an alternate route when the M5 tunnel is closed.
Precisa
Send a message

Post by scwally
Hi fellow SA Wazers.

I'm hoping to be able to help out with updating the map and being able to improve it for better navigation. I had been updating the maps for OSM, here and there, but I like the idea of these maps for the navigation.

I'm in the Southern suburbs so let me know if there is anything you need help with.
scwally
Send a message

Post by scwally
There is a substantial difference between the way Adelaide has been mapped in comparison to other places (eg. Melbourne) and that is that everything is put as either primary street or streets.

In my opinion, roads like South Road need to be a Major Highway and then roads like Cross Road, Goodwood Road would be Minor Highway. Primary streets can then be primary streets and the rest as streets.

There are many roads through the southern suburbs that are primary streets but show up with equal importance with Main South Road.
scwally
Send a message

Post by smcmahon
I think the idea is that if the map is starting to be good enough and there are a few wazers then more would be attracted to use it. With more wazers there would be better traffic data.

That's what I'm hoping will happen in Canberra at least.
smcmahon
Send a message