Post by extremedavo
I live down south (Sheidow Park/Hallett Cove) sorta way, so I'll be mapping all the way up to the city different directions etc.

When I get time, Sidestreets will appear, too. I turn it on whenever the car is on.

Wouldn't mind manually drawing them, but I don't have permission yet.

Dave
extremedavo
Send a message

Post by extremedavo
Yeap, you're joining as it's all being mapped out now...

All of Adelaide is completely mapped, Ive been mapping my route from down South to Adelaide, been taking a shitload of different routes just to map them out. Will be travelling 2hrs south this weekend, will get that mapped out as well.

The main use will be once we've got it all mapped out, we need people to start using it wherever they drive. That's when it becomes cool. On my way to the city, it told me Goodwood road was blocked in a section, travelling 1km/h.

When I got there 10 minutes later, there was a car broken down on the left lane, causing halts. If everyone else was using Waze, you can see the fastest route and avoid any blocks, etc.

Also good for people reporting coppers, RBTs etc.

Cheers,
Dave
extremedavo
Send a message
Last edited by extremedavo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by extremedavo
Knew throwing your last name out there would be fun.

What phone are you using to do all this? Never had it crash on me. Maybe you wanna constantly stop plotting and start again?

Dave
extremedavo
Send a message

Post by Golli
Hey,

I only found out about Waze last night. Using it were ever I go.

I live in the Belair area. However I spend alot of my time in and around Flinders Uni, Medindie Gardens and out in the hills.

I'd love to map out Belair, Blackwood and Flinders first. Then slowly move to the main roads to connect the north up and get the area around Collingswood and Prospect completely done.
Eventually I'll do out in the hills. Oh, and Mallala Raceway, just for the hell of it... haha! :mrgreen:

I'm still waiting for my first trip to appear in cartouche, However I have done a fair bit of playing around. I got Adelaide Zoo as a POI, and did half of Flinders Uni. (gotta wait for permissions to finish that one off... woops! :oops:) It does seem a bit impossible to use at times. Would be fanastic for it to have its own GUI like google earth has. Ultimately that is up to the developers though... That sort of stuff is completely out of my forte!

Seems like we just have to recruit someone from out far north and we will have pretty much have all sides of the city being mapped. Was quite impressed with how well the city has been done, how long have both of you been using Waze?

What do I have to do to get more permissions? just wait for my trips to be uploaded? Would be good to work on areas that I haven't driven yet.

Cheers,
Dale
Golli
Send a message
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o19 ... sted7m.jpg
"What happens if my concerns are completely unfounded?
Nothing.

What happens if my concerns are justified and ignored?
Nothing Good."

Post by Golli
How do you know my surname? I'm at a loss as to which Dave I know lives in the Hallet Cove Area...

Yeah, the way it works is decribed well on the videos that come with the software.
Seems handy, as I HATE traffic, yet do most of my driving during peak hour when doing across town trips, so this is something I need.

Slowly getting use to how everything works. However things like plotting Main road all the way out to Chandlers hill road from Belair, then it crashing is just frustrating!

Edit:

Managed to get Belair rd, Main rd, Shepards Hill rd and Uni drive done... It's actually frustrating using cartouche!
Golli
Send a message
Nothing.

Nothing Good."

Post by Golli
Can you at least delete my surname from your post for my privacy?
Guess time will tell who you are eventually.

It's not crashing on my phone (iPhone 3GS) Cartouche keeps crashing on my computer. things like trying to select a street and just never loads up to edit details and stuff.
Golli
Send a message
Nothing.

Nothing Good."

Post by KevinYank
I've seen a few issues that have been raised recently where the GPS has directed the driver along a street as opposed to a primary street. Wondering how people are resolving these??
Sometimes these can be attributed to an incorrect turn restriction somewhere along the main route. In cases like that, I correct the turn restriction and mark the problem solved.

But yes, there are plenty where Waze just appears to have made a loopy route suggestion. Sometimes, again, the suggested route is actually illegal (involving a U-turn that is unsafe or not allowed), and you can patch up the map to prevent it from being suggested as a route in future.

In cases where the suggested route is perfectly valid, just kind of strange (e.g. exiting a freeway and then immediately re-entering it again for no apparent reason), my guess is that Waze is attempting to route around areas commonly affected by heavy traffic at that time of day, by sending the driver on a route with little or no recorded history of traffic.

For me, this falls under Waze’s standard disclaimer: “The suggested route may not be optimal, but Waze learns quickly!” Ideally, the driver would see the suggested route, ignore it, and drive the route they consider more correct, teaching Waze in the process. Or, they might follow the loopy route, take longer than Waze predicted, and teach Waze that way.

So what to do about the map issue reports? I mark them as “Not identified” and close them. The user will receive an email explaining that a Waze community member was unable to resolve the issue, and offering them the opportunity to jump to the spot in the map editor to have a go at fixing it themselves.

It would be nice if there was a more specific “Questionable routing” resolution that we could apply to such reports, but I think the “Not identified” one works pretty well.
KevinYank
Send a message

Post by kiwikjh
I live in the city and spend a lot of time down South so I have busily started trying to fill in the rest of the city and places like Cherry Gardens. I just hope for this service to work that the live updates are used for traffic info etc.
kiwikjh
Send a message

Post by pipelongar
Precisa wrote:I know the median of that road is small, but it has so many lanes that the outside lanes would end up with new pavings and we would be constantly removing them.
I don't live in Adelaide, so sorry about getting my nose here.

I believe that Waze is smart enough to figure out that a group of GPS lines that are all together must belong to the same road. Just look at any of those huge highways in USA.
I guess the problem will arise if you have a group of lines that are separated from the others. Waze might interpret that as different roads.
But really it shouldn't matter how many lanes are there on the road.

I seem to remember a wiki page talking about this, but I can't find it any more, otherwise I'll link it here.
Hopefully I didn't dream about it.
pipelongar
Send a message

Post by Precisa
Hello fellow South Aussie.
I agree about the split roads cause problems.
I travel all the way up and down Marion road for work each day.
The north route works great (I created it over a year ago)
I stopped using waze for a year, as I didn't have time to make all the roads from scratch
Now I am back, the main roads have now been split, and I battle with them all the time.

They are only 2 lanes each way with a 2 metre median splitting them, and they have turns through to side streets all over the place.

I am about to undertake unsplitting all the primary roads in the southern area
Marion Rd, South Rd, Sturt Rd, Henley beach Rd.
If the median widens to be a 5 metre of grass, I will leave it. (e.g. most southern end of Marion rd, and South road up on O'Halloran Hill)
but I have had enough of fighting with disabled junctions and missing turn joiners.

It should not take more than week, hopefully I can finish before the next update cycle begins.
Precisa
Send a message