Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Speed limits in car parks

Post by B_Carp
Hi all,

This is probably best for an Australia forum, but a problem I've noted in recent months in NSW is new editors adding every single lane in car parking lots (clearly against best practice Wiki (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_edi ... rking_Lots)), but also adding speed limits to these parking lot roads.

I am pointing out the issue with adding all the parking lot roads to them, but do we have a directive on speed limits? It seems to be that a nominal 10-20km/h speed is placed on these roads by the editors. Perhaps these are suggested by the car park owners, sometimes not.

My recommendation is to remove these speed limits altogether, as they are not legally binding. Having a 10km/h speed limit in a car park merely annoys drivers because of the constant noise from Waze warning of being over the speed limit, when the problem is usually poor GPS lock & inability for the GPS to monitor speed accurately at low velocity.

Anyone game to come up with a consensus statement?
B_Carp

POSTER_ID:17078379

Send a message
Last edited by B_Carp on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by B_Carp
Do you mean Waze HQ sweeping, for example, once per week & adding speed limits to any segments where none is present? Or do you mean adding speed limits automatically at the time of segment creation?
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
You could be totally right! I have certainly seen funny edits in areas that I know are recent but the last edited date was years ago.

However, for example, in this segment, the history of edits shows when & who changed the speed limit. You can also see the same editor added many parking lot roads in the area at the same time.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
Burdo25 wrote:This area in particular (I know because I shop here frequently) has these signs. So I assumed if it is a legal sign posted speed limit that can also be enforced by police, why not have it appear in app to act as a reminder to users?
I'm not sure that it's legally enforceable on private property. Anyone know?
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
Nice find! Well done! What about keeping the speed limits in Waze if there's a posted limit & leaving the speed limits as "blank" if no signs are posted?
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
TimAThing wrote:I think this approach makes sense. Waze isn't really for navigating around car parks, so adding speed limits to car park segments might score someone edit points, but doesn't really improve the map or the navigating experience.
I'm not fussed personally. I think there are pros & cons of both approaches. Just looking for a consensus if we can find one so we don't end up all fighting to do opposite things & undoing each others' changes.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by B_Carp
Sorry, I was more concerned now about putting in speed limits in Waze when they aren't signposted.
B_Carp
Send a message

Post by Burdo25
Hi guys.

I appreciate the feedback that's come across regarding this and will be taking steps to rectify the edits made in relation to the parking lots. B Carp has been kind enough to send me some information which I'll be reading over.

In regards to speeds, a lot of the parking areas that have a high pedestrian traffic flow have sign posted Shared Zone speed limits, which most of the time is 10kph.

This area in particular (I know because I shop here frequently) has these signs. So I assumed if it is a legal sign posted speed limit that can also be enforced by police, why not have it appear in app to act as a reminder to users?
Burdo25
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Burdo25
B_Carp wrote:
Burdo25 wrote:This area in particular (I know because I shop here frequently) has these signs. So I assumed if it is a legal sign posted speed limit that can also be enforced by police, why not have it appear in app to act as a reminder to users?
I'm not sure that it's legally enforceable on private property. Anyone know?
NSW Legislation states that it can be enforced by police. “an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles”.

Police can enforce speeds in all road and road related areas. Understand that it’s private property, but the ‘open to and used by the public’ term is where Police can exercise their powers under the relevant legislation.

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw ... 4/s13.html
Burdo25
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Burdo25
B_Carp wrote:Nice find! Well done! What about keeping the speed limits in Waze if there's a posted limit & leaving the speed limits as "blank" if no signs are posted?
Agree. 8-)
Burdo25
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message