Wiki Update: Australian Road Lock Levels

[ img ]

Moderators: delilush, Australia Managers

Wiki Update: Australian Road Lock Levels

Postby Vestigal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 pm

According to Wazeopedia, the default/standard lock level for a Primary Street is L1. This seems like one level too low.

Primary streets, especially more rurally, connect many towns and suburbs. Accidental damage from L1 editors attempting "Self-help fixes" is becoming more prevalent. In the last 2 weeks alone, I've had 3 occasions of L1 editors (mainly users trying to unsuccessfully fix an issue they have no clue on how to) damage some primary arterial roads simply due to lack of experience.

I'd propose raising the Primary Street lock level to 2.

I'd like to hear others' opinion about this.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
30,000km driven with Waze. 4000 UR's Resolved.
Country Manager, Australia. State Manager Victoria & NSW
Join us in the Waze Australia Discord Server.
Vestigal
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Wiki Update: Australian Road Lock Levels

Postby keilorca » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 am

Probably a good idea if it's currently causing issues, although I'm glad they weren't locked when I was L1! :mrgreen:

We would have to make sure that only streets that meet the requirement are PS. I have seen some suburbs where almost every through street in a residential estate with other streets running of it was marked as PS.
keilorca
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Vestigal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 pm

You're right, there are roads that shouldn't be Primary Streets, if it's very obvious, you can change it, but typically you can bring it up to any of the Area Managers and they can appropriately decided whether it needs to be a PS.

The only other side-effect of this change is that L2 PS will generate some more Unlock Requests. However I believe that's not inherently a bad thing, due to this causing editors to think twice about edits they make, and also allows us to check out new editors and bring them on board.
Vestigal
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ituajr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:13 am

I see no problems with this proposal. If there are no objections after a week or so, the management team (whoever that is) will get someone to update Road Types and Lock Levels.

In the transition, I would advise editors NOT to reduce the lock level on any Primary Streets that have a lock level higher than 2 until you can explain why it's there and why it is no longer needed. (Two common reasons are that the segments have been subjected to bad edits, or that the aerial photography is out of date.)
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
77777 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8586 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby funwayz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 am

I'm not sure if this is the best place to bring this up. Roads in Queensland have been set off Qld Globe in the past, which was encouraged in this wiki. That is why roads match up so closely, which can be seen here (Qld Globe on the left, Waze on the right):
[ img ][ img ]

This would mean that some roads may not be set to the same standards as the Road Names wiki. With this in mind, it might be worth considering which roads should be set to Primary Street before deciding to elevate them to level two restrictions.
funwayz

Postby ituajr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:52 am

funwayz wrote:I'm not sure if this is the best place to bring this up. Roads in Queensland have been set off Qld Globe in the past, which was encouraged in this wiki.

Yes, having two different standards has been a long-standing difficulty. Obviously we want to merge them, and preferably remove the dependence on external sources until it becomes legit to use them. (Which is why I included Qld Globe as one of the two most-important Creative Commons sources.) On the other hand, a functional description of the Primary and above street types is probably going to involve an expression like "and other segments as necessary for longer distance routes to work (eg more than xx km for Primary Streets)". But we can't really do that until Waze HQ has spoken on the issue of dealing with long-distance routes.

So, multiple entangled problems. Let's deal with the lock problem first. Whatever definition we come up with for Primary Streets is likely to mean no change for most existing Primary Streets.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
77777 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8586 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby LostInMyMaps » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 am

Sure.

Can we also add the new road types to the wiki page like narrow road, and include the different types of walking routes, and where they are suitable for use in Australia?
Brendan
Local Champ | State Manager for NSW, Vic and Tas, Australia.
L4. WME ßeta Tester. iOS ßeta Tester.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link
LostInMyMaps
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby keilorca » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

StygianEstrian wrote:You're right, there are roads that shouldn't be Primary Streets, if it's very obvious, you can change it, but typically you can bring it up to any of the Area Managers and they can appropriately decided whether it needs to be a PS. .

In an area like this one many of the PS don't seem to meet the criteria but they've been set that way by an L5 editor. That makes me think I'm reading it wrong.
keilorca
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Vestigal » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:41 am

Looks like there's no objections to this. ituajr, did you want to make that request?
Vestigal
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby LostInMyMaps » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 pm

We've all seen the "autolock" setting in Waze permissions, right? From talking to Glomp, there's an option to have that autolock lock roads to the levels we want so we don't have to manually lock it. Technically, the more manual locking we do, the further we move away from a working autolock system.

Brendan 02/06/2018
don't other countries have auto locking for certain road types? we seem to lock our manual
Glomp 02/06/2018
yes, I can easily ask staff to enable it. It will upset a lot of the editors :wink:
Brendan
Local Champ | State Manager for NSW, Vic and Tas, Australia.
L4. WME ßeta Tester. iOS ßeta Tester.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link
LostInMyMaps
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to Australia