Coordinator: turbomkt & ARC: FzNk
------------------------------------------------------------

Interstate Exits as Area Places

Post by HBiede
Regional Standard Proposal Seeking Opinions:

In some states, including my home state of Nebraska, interstate exits are marked as area places. While these are not used as destinations in navigations in all but the rarest of rare use cases, they provide users with a subtle but useful display of upcoming exits as well as a way to see approximately where they are relative to mile markers. While this is not as useful in more cramped urban areas, it is a nice addition in more rural expanses. Examples of the display in-app are attached below:

And while not as visible, it is still useful in smaller, urban areas as well (I don't have an in-app view here, so I fell back on a WME screenshot):

The standard used for these area places are:
Street: I-XX
Category: Junction/Intersection
Lock Level: Equal to the Attached Freeway Segment

I propose that this practice be expanded beyond a few select states to a more wide reaching availability for the sake of consistency from a UX perspective. Speaking from personal experience, I find them very useful and a nice addition to the map as a whole. I welcome dissenting opinions, other anecdotes in favor, and possible standards, minimum area sizes, etc.

Wazeopedia Entry Draft:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... _Exit_Area

Examples of in place area places:
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 346.341378
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 746.341437
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 894.341462
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager

POSTER_ID:17543588

Send a message
Last edited by HBiede on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post by dude463
I don't have any problems with going ahead with it.
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by FzNk
Oregon has had most if its freeway exits labeled this way for some time as a sort of unofficial experiment. They've been pretty popular and I've even fielded a few URs over the years about exits that weren't labeled. As Skyview contemplated, we run into problems with complex interchanges in urban areas.
405-26.jpg
(86.92 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
In this example, I-405 N/S Exit 1D (red) has a northbound exit that runs underneath US-26 Exit 74 (yellow) and its southbound exit runs opposite I-405 N Exit 2A (blue). Even if we were to map these tight to the segments, it would be anyone's guess which label would show up where based on the map's orientation & zoom. However, I don't think we're missing out on a whole lot here since urban freeway exits have so many street and area labels around them that I don't notice their absence. I would definitely prefer if the choice of whether or not to label an exit was explicitly left up to the SMs.

As for locking, I think it would be fine to have them at the normal minimum lock level. They aren't critical for routing like the freeways they cover so an accidental edit or deletion wouldn't be a big deal.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by HBiede
The manner of drawing the places in Nebraska and other states in the area that have implemented a version of this idea has been to encapsulate the ramps, but placing them just inside the outer most ramps would convey the same shape while also allowing a portion of the segment available to editor’s mice. After all, in clover leaf interchanges, the inner ramps will be covered regardless.

As far as other non-interstate freeway exits, I would also be in favor of their mapping if they also have exit/mile marker numbering systems in place
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by HBiede
I’m regards to the naming structure, they are almost always as simple as “Exit 423” for example, however, there have been some more complex ones such as “Exit 401A-D” or “I-80 Exit 440/I-680 Exit 1” in more urban areas. Those edge cases are not as common and probably can be left to the discretion of SMs. I don't believe "Exit 449 - 72nd Street" is unnecessary since the ramp naming structure will usually give that information in navigation
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by HBiede
kentsmith9 wrote:I support the idea. A few initial thoughts.

1. On the current Wiki page, the two example images seem to have their text and images reversed. Specifically, the left red box and the text makes sense, but the image inside seems to belong in the box on the right. And the image on the right seems to belong in the red box on the left. I would also recommend after fixing the box/image coordination that the green box be on the left to start with the correct recommended drawing and put the incorrect one on the right.

2. I know there are many exits in California that have not yet had their BGS updated to reflect the assigned exit numbers yet. We went through most of the freeways to update the exit names to include the assigned exit numbers in preparation for the sign change so we didn't have to try to track updates, but in cases where the exit number is not on any BGS this proposal for only using the exit number might lead to some confusion. Maybe in that case, add the crossing street name to the area.

3. Some states use the A/B references in the exit number to identify the direction from the freeway (east vs west or north vs south). For those states, I think it is fine to exclude the A/B in the exit name here or allow it with "Exit 403A/B". However, some states use the A/B/C/D to differentiate separate interchanges which are within one mile of each other. In those cases you would need the A/B/C/D reference to be included. Maybe that is the intent of the current description, but I could see how it could be misinterpreted.
1. Thank you, I didn’t catch that the images were reversed. With regards to the bad example first, this is taken from the Parking Lot places page. The first example on drawing PLAs shows a bad example first and I was attempting to stay consistent with this more trafficed resourse.

2/3. I edited the Naming to its own section to give clarification on some of the use cases you mentioned
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by HBiede
kentsmith9 wrote:I am a supporter of telling people how something should be done and then show them the ways that won't work to make it more clear.

Here is the Places page with Good on the left and Bad on the right.
I defer to your expertise. Switched
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by HBiede
I added a clause to the naming section to allow for SMs and Regional Leadership to make the call on changing the naming structure for a given exit.

Someone higher up can explain/decide to change the locking standard if I get a concensus. I simply wrote it to match the existing exits I have encountered.

And with regards to complex urban exits, there are some strange ones I have encountered as well:
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 698.325616
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Last edited by HBiede on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.