Switch to full style
Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
Post a reply

I-15 alternate

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:30 am

Considering I-15 is out of action for at least a week, and possibly more I suggest upgrading the primary alternate between Cedar City and Vegas be upgraded to Major Hwy until I-15 is fully reopened to commercial traffic Currently the recommended route is the first option the routing engine gives but it does give a couple other less recommended routes, (one of which might also be out of action due to the flooding). I'm starting on Utah's section, the closure of I-15 is already live, but we need to encourage the routing engine to send people the best way And making the primary alternate Maj Hwy the entire trip should help with that.

The map on the below link isn't great but it does show the recommended route.

Re: I-15 alternate

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:47 am

We (the1who, MojaveCactusMonkey, and myself) have been working on the closures and making sure routing works. It was just announced tonight about the different detour routes for Cars vs everything else and we have submitted an update on the closure that is place. And based on info the1who got (13 action news says they are working to have one lane open in each direction by friday) they should have everybody traveling on the 15 (through a detour (one lane each way) by maybe Friday.

Re: I-15 alternate

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:48 am

A little more detail on the route, it's SR-56 from I-15 in Cedar City which becomes NV-319 through Panaca where it connects to US 93 which being a US hwy is already classified as a MH. I upgraded 56/319 to MH all the way from Cedar to US-93 as that section is now functionally a MH even though it be state hwy's.

NVDOT hopes to have one lane of I-15 open in each direction within a week, but seeing the post flood videos, I wonder if that will really be possible especially for a road capable of holding Semi tractors. NV just got a Major rebuild of one of the Nation's primary arteries dumped on them with no warning.

Re: I-15 alternate

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:51 am

Well this should help, Once the closures are fixed we can go back and undo the classification upgrades (btw I fixed some segment naming issues on 319 mojave'd left when the name was renamed to NV instead of state hwy.) I looked for a post on this before doing anything but didn't see anything in the relevant states, this region or even US. I did see the closures in live map, but saw a problem when I tested a couple route requests.

Re: I-15 alternate

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:53 am

Such major events should really have threads created, don't just work via pm's make it public. Just like I created when 89 collapsed south of Page AZ.

Re: I-15 alternate

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:08 am

Conversation with Waze about the issue of the routing for "long" routes that go through the closure has been raised with them. Vegas to Cedar works for the most part...

Re: I-15 alternate

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:42 am

For what it is worth, DOT stated that Moapa residents are to still use 93 and 168. I've been doing the best that I can with managing the closure. Waze considered creating a major event at one point. But with the dynamic of the situation and potential of opening up a lane each way with cross over around the washed out area, it would not make sense. We have modified the closure so the out bound directions from Valley of Fire and 169 are open. They are closed in bound because they are still closed to trailers, RVs and commercial traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Re: I-15 alternate

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Just an update, we have updated the closure to reflect the DOT's page, from MM 75 to MM 93 for passenger traffic, trailers, RVs, U-Hauls but no commercial traffic. We can't make that distinction here with this feature, but the news have covered this heavily and they said NHP is on site to detour commercial traffic. Now, since I can't actually be standing there, I'll take their word for it, but we have updated it, just waiting on the process to go through staff and the servers, so please be patient. They are adamant about it opening up at least one lane each direction through some time today or tomorrow. Will post when I hear something from NVDOT.
Post a reply