Road naming convention for whole SW region?

Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Road naming convention for whole SW region?

Postby vectorspace » Thu May 16, 2013 6:54 am

I wonder if everyone in this region would agree to the shorter naming convention, US-xxx, SR-xxx, and CR-xxx for US highways, state highways or state routes, and then country roads?

It would be nice if neighboring states would do this so editing would be more consistent. I am not sure if there are local state issues that might detract from such a standard. I am going with this in NM. From my travels in the SW area, I would assume this could go through CA, AZ, NM, CO, NV, etc.

See this location in the Wiki. I don't think everyone has chimed in. Some states have strong feeling on a state-specific approach for various reasons. I don't see that from what I know in the SW. There used to be (and could still be) some basemap names in New Mexico like NM Highway XXX, but that is not the standard. Remember, shields is a different topic from this.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_(USA)?title=Road_naming_by_state
vectorspace
vectorspace

Re: Road naming convention for whole SW region?

Postby Daknife » Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm good with this, already I and a couple AM's have started working on renaming the US and state highways in Utah to this cleaner more compact standard. I personally am not going to worry about most CR's yet as almost all of those in Utah are dirt.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Fri May 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Jesse -- what do you think?
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby jemay » Tue May 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Well, CA,NV,UT,AZ, and NM have the shorter standards adopted, but I don't remember anybody asking CO... And I can not forget HI, nobody has questioned for them.
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Android 8.0 - Verizon
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TruckOttr » Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm

jemay wrote:Well, CA,NV,UT,AZ, and NM have the shorter standards adopted, but I don't remember anybody asking CO... And I can not forget HI, nobody has questioned for them.

I don't know of any local editors for CO. The CO forum has been empty. Doing a search on the forums there hasn't been any update requests, unlock requests or even messages referencing the Denver area or CO that I can find.

Looking at the map, it appears that bgodette(6) made a pass thru Denver in the summer of 2012. There's been no real editing since then except the occasional rogue Level 1.
Last edited by TruckOttr on Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ][ img ]
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)
TruckOttr

Postby vectorspace » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm

I have started editing in the southern regions of Colorado as I expand up that way, and it needs a lot of work. As far as editors, I know of one editor I had met once for lunch, a CM, tgfathergoose. Jemay and could ask him to be more active in the forums. I'll send him a message now. He used to edit more in NM when he lived there. He is OK with the shorter items.

I know there are a number of HI editors. Jemay or others could ask. I just thought it would be cool if a whole region had the same approach on something!
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby TruckOttr » Tue May 28, 2013 7:01 pm

vectorspace wrote:I just thought it would be cool if a whole region had the same approach on something!

I agree.
[ img ][ img ]
Hayward, CA, Reno/Sparks, NV, Elko/Spring Creek, NV and apparently the N. NV section of Portola Valley, CA. :-)
TruckOttr

Postby tgfathergoose » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 am

I have no problem with the shorter names. Right now I've been cleaning up some areas in southern New Mexico and west Texas (and a couple other areas) where I forgot to clean up the dastardly red arrows after changing unknown directions to two way.

Even though I live in Colorado now, I've still been cleaning up in southern New Mexico and west Texas, the areas where I was first AM. That said, I have looked some in Colorado, you're right -- the Denver area is pretty well set, but other areas need work. Missing neighborhoods, incomplete mountain roads, and a few towns that don't have their streets set as two way. I've been working that when I get bored with the desert southwest.
Country Manager - US
[ img ][ img ]
tgfathergoose
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Daknife » Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 am

I could be wrong but I thought bgodette was from the Denver area, thus I've mostly stayed out of CO but if it needs work I will gladly chip in there as well.
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 am

daknife wrote:I could be wrong but I thought bgodette was from the Denver area, thus I've mostly stayed out of CO but if it needs work I will gladly chip in there as well.

I think help is always useful. Right now I am working up I-25 from Raton NM towards Colorado Springs. Almost none of the exit ramps were named. I am amazed that such a key feature of travel on Waze was not fixed yet. Still the wild west I guess. I have just reached Colorado Springs and am continuing to expand there to work on all the military bases to fix their detail and their entrances/exists.

I bet there are a lot of small towns in CO that need complete work given what I have run into there...lots of roads to make two-way and clear the red arrows.

I haven't seen bgodette very active in the forums lately, not sure what he's editing. Met him at the Meetup and had the impression he was rather busy with coding script issues.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Next

Return to US Southwest