Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by Daknife
I could be wrong but I thought bgodette was from the Denver area, thus I've mostly stayed out of CO but if it needs work I will gladly chip in there as well.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by DwarfLord
If SH is available as a fully endorsed and supported alternative to SR, that would be my personal preference for California as well. Several weeks ago I was routed onto "Highway 1" (it was an old ramp still named "to Hwy 1") -- it felt great! I've lived in California a long time and nobody I know talks about State Routes.

Naturally I won't just start changing stuff without bringing this up on the California forum. Just want to be sure SH-xx is, as I said, a fully endorsed and supported alternative from a national perspective.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
tonestertm wrote:While "Highway 1" and "Highway 99" do have a familiar, friendly ring for California natives and longtime residents, they are, in official CA DOT parlance, SRs, so you're not likely to induce a change, Dwarf. :( Not so sure hearing "State Highway" is quite the same, anyway....
Now this piques my interest as to why everybody who lives in California calls them highways while the DOT calls them routes? I have heard of theories that the brains of several government officials have been invaded by reptilian extraterrestrials. This could explain a great deal :lol:

In the meantime if the rept -- I mean, the DOT won't call them Highways then it doesn't matter much to me what they do call them. And you're right, "State Highway" is not quite right anyway, though it's a lot closer. Oh well!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Taco909 wrote:"Highway" was generally a term reserved for non-freeway for the most part.
Good point Taco. And, I'm reminded that northern and southern California have different styles for how they refer to major roads. We seem to be more spare with our language in the north and less likely to talk about freeways. We used to have the "Bayshore Freeway" but everybody just calls it "101" now. I wouldn't bat an eye if somebody called it "Highway 101", but if they called "The 101" (or, oh my goodness, "The 101 Freeway") I would suspect they were fresh off I-5.

Meanwhile in the south, elegant names seem to be a lot more common, like "Pacific Coast Highway" which everyone abbreviates to "PCH". Though why take Highway 1, give it a long name, and then abbreviate it to initials that require the same number of syllables as Highway 1 did in the first place, I have no idea. Must be all that sunshine. :lol:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
From this point on, all roads are to be named Steve. No exceptions.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by irowiki
Do you have that bookmarklet done yet? :D

I'm starting to work in Durango and parts beyond and everything there still says Co Rd, Creek Road, etc.

Just so I'm sure, Co Rd 250 becomes CR-250?
irowiki
Send a message

Post by irowiki
Yeah, was talking about country roads. None of them are named properly. A lot of them in New Mexico got basemap imported as "Creek Road" :lol:
irowiki
Send a message

Post by irowiki
MrPete wrote: I live in rural Colorado and travel to all kinds of crazy places, including where there's no Internet so Waze loses track of where I've been :(

That is one of my biggest pet peeves with the waze client, it does not function well at all with remote areas and spotty cell signal. :(
irowiki
Send a message

Post by jemay
Well, CA,NV,UT,AZ, and NM have the shorter standards adopted, but I don't remember anybody asking CO... And I can not forget HI, nobody has questioned for them.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
Over the years we have changed a lot of the segments to SR-___ in California.

Now based on the title of this tread, it would be nice to have all the states in the region be the same... I am not sure if that will happen, because some of the states have already been in discussion about SR vs __ (state abbreviation)

But based on the current wiki:
AZ - SR-###
CA - SR-###
CO - SR-###
HI - State Hwy ###
NV - SR-###
NM - SR-###
UT - SR-###

We seem to be aligned, except the islands...
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon