Road naming convention for whole SW region?

Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Re: Road naming convention for whole SW region?

Postby Chris_CA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Now in the Waze app, I am hearing a bunch SH (State Highway) that used to be SR (State Route).
Has this been changed?

bgodette has gone through and changed a bunch (all?).

I prefer SH so the app calls out the directions according to the signs.

This page has not been updated...
-> Highway naming/USA - https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Highway_naming/USA
--
Chris CA
Colorado Area Manager
[ img ]
Chris_CA
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bgodette » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Yes the direction should be updated since it was written prior to a lot of recent TTS updates. SR/SH/XX- usage should be specific to each state as to which to use.

Colorado happens to call them State Highways and the signs have SH-### if they don't have the shield graphics. I've also not heard anyone say "Colorado 128" so using CO-### doesn't make sense.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm

If SH is available as a fully endorsed and supported alternative to SR, that would be my personal preference for California as well. Several weeks ago I was routed onto "Highway 1" (it was an old ramp still named "to Hwy 1") -- it felt great! I've lived in California a long time and nobody I know talks about State Routes.

Naturally I won't just start changing stuff without bringing this up on the California forum. Just want to be sure SH-xx is, as I said, a fully endorsed and supported alternative from a national perspective.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby tonestertm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:04 pm

While "Highway 1" and "Highway 99" do have a familiar, friendly ring for California natives and longtime residents, they are, in official CA DOT parlance, SRs, so you're not likely to induce a change, Dwarf. :( Not so sure hearing "State Highway" is quite the same, anyway....

Of course, jemay will have to be the final arbiter on this; can't hurt to bring it up.

Rather than there being any sort of national endorsement issue, the bigger key here is what the TTS says. I gather that, until recently, SH- did not produce the desired result, or the large number of states on the list that have had to use "State Hwy" would have saved themselves a lot of work by using SH. :)

DwarfLord wrote:If SH is available as a fully endorsed and supported alternative to SR, that would be my personal preference for California as well. Several weeks ago I was route "Highway 1" (it was an old ramp still named "to Hwy 1") -- it felt great! I've lived in California a long time and nobody I know talks about State Routes.

Naturally I won't just start changing stuff without bringing this up on the California forum. Just want to be sure SH-xx is, as I said, a fully endorsed and supported alternative from a national perspective.
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:35 am

tonestertm wrote:While "Highway 1" and "Highway 99" do have a familiar, friendly ring for California natives and longtime residents, they are, in official CA DOT parlance, SRs, so you're not likely to induce a change, Dwarf. :( Not so sure hearing "State Highway" is quite the same, anyway....

Now this piques my interest as to why everybody who lives in California calls them highways while the DOT calls them routes? I have heard of theories that the brains of several government officials have been invaded by reptilian extraterrestrials. This could explain a great deal :lol:

In the meantime if the rept -- I mean, the DOT won't call them Highways then it doesn't matter much to me what they do call them. And you're right, "State Highway" is not quite right anyway, though it's a lot closer. Oh well!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby taco909 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:22 am

tonestertm wrote:Not so sure hearing "State Highway" is quite the same, anyway....

Yup.

I erased "Highway 39" from my memory when the drive-in was torn down.

A lot of good memories were erased by that shopping center. Must have seen the Blues Brothers/Cheech & Chong's Next Movie 40 times in that old Buick.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:59 am

DwarfLord wrote:Now this piques my interest as to why everybody who lives in California calls them highways while the DOT calls them routes? I have heard of theories that the brains of several government officials have been invaded by reptilian extraterrestrials. This could explain a great deal :lol:

In the meantime if the rept -- I mean, the DOT won't call them Highways then it doesn't matter much to me what they do call them. And you're right, "State Highway" is not quite right anyway, though it's a lot closer. Oh well!

"Highway" was generally a term reserved for non-freeway for the most part.
SR-60 was always "The Pomona Freeway"... likewise 91 was never referred to as "Highway" in my memory. It was always "The Riverside Freeway." Likewise for the Interstates, though some time in the late 70s/80s the names were dropped in favor of the much-maligned California term, "The ###" though "Golden State Freeway" and "Santa Ana Freeway" still appear on maps. "San Diego Freeway" always got me, because it applied to I-405, which is simply a western loop off of I-5 that bypasses Los Angeles and runs through the coastal cities.... rejoining I-5 well north of the San Diego County line.

Nobody used "State Route"... For the most part, it was the local name like "Euclid" (83), "Imperial" (90)... the ONE exception for some reason was Beach Blvd, which was referred to as "Highway 39" at least as far as Whittier Blvd (Still designated SR-72 BTW for a short segment).
The interesting one was always SR-71. Currently named "The Chino Valley Freeway" (to make AZ residents feel at home?) formerly "The Corona Expressway," but at the time the road was 100% at-grade with signals the full length connecting the 210/10/57 interchange to SR-91. In the mid-90s, it was built into a full freeway from SR-60 to SR-91, and at that point, we stopped referring to it as "The Corona Deathway" (every foggy morning there would be a fatality at Euclid, Pine, Central, Chino Hills, Pipeline, Grand, or Chino.)

And out in the desert, "Highway 111" or "111" seemed to trump "Palm Canyon"
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby jemay » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Over the years we have changed a lot of the segments to SR-___ in California.

Now based on the title of this tread, it would be nice to have all the states in the region be the same... I am not sure if that will happen, because some of the states have already been in discussion about SR vs __ (state abbreviation)

But based on the current wiki:
AZ - SR-###
CA - SR-###
CO - SR-###
HI - State Hwy ###
NV - SR-###
NM - SR-###
UT - SR-###

We seem to be aligned, except the islands...
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Android 8.0 - Verizon
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Taco909 wrote:"Highway" was generally a term reserved for non-freeway for the most part.

Good point Taco. And, I'm reminded that northern and southern California have different styles for how they refer to major roads. We seem to be more spare with our language in the north and less likely to talk about freeways. We used to have the "Bayshore Freeway" but everybody just calls it "101" now. I wouldn't bat an eye if somebody called it "Highway 101", but if they called "The 101" (or, oh my goodness, "The 101 Freeway") I would suspect they were fresh off I-5.

Meanwhile in the south, elegant names seem to be a lot more common, like "Pacific Coast Highway" which everyone abbreviates to "PCH". Though why take Highway 1, give it a long name, and then abbreviate it to initials that require the same number of syllables as Highway 1 did in the first place, I have no idea. Must be all that sunshine. :lol:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby taco909 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:11 pm

jemay wrote:CO - SR-###
HI - State Hwy ###
NV - SR-###

We seem to be aligned, except the islands...

At least there's no concerns about consistency at junctions until they finish that bridge :lol:
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Previous

Return to US Southwest