Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts from 750 Mile New Mexico Road Trip

Post by vectorspace
Monday-Wednesday of this week I went on a 800+ mile road trip (business trip) that I took advantage of once in a while to see how Waze performed and what road standards we might want to consider for NM. I thought some others may have similar ideas, so wanted to share and learn from what you've experienced.

While this could be for any road trip, the Southwest is a bit different in the vast empty nothingness that can exist and the lack of cell data network coverage. I am truly inspired to place a few "middle of nowhere" landmarks in some parts of New Mexico.

My path was Albuquerque to Truth or Consequences to Las Cruces on I-25, then over US-70 across White Sands to Alamagordo, then up the mountains to Cloudcroft, down the other side to Artesia, down to Carlsbad for some business and wandering around the vast openness of a booming oil field area with pumps going everywhere. This had some interesting scenery. Coming back I went north on US-285 to Roswell then across a vast empty flat land from there to Vaughn, and finally to I-40 west to Albuquerque.

General

== There's nothing like a road trip to ferret out weird anomalies that are hard to see while editing, such as an extra road node that makes an errant "turn right" direction where no turn exists.

== For the first time I noticed the client (on an iPad) just blink out and crash or go away a few times. It was like the long trip made it give up and die.

== Rural SW roads need a lot of work. There are many roads in the map that no longer exist and many that are not named correctly.

== I noticed in the client and editor that oil well workers apparently use Waze in seeking wells, perhaps they store locations to return. Navigating in flat land with countless hundreds of square miles of nothing-much and no physical landmarks is disorienting. Waze kept me company and preserved my sanity at times so I wasn't alone.

== I am perplexed by Waze's water layer. I saw some brine lakes that were in the client but not landmarks in the map. In other times I see nothing there when there is water. So, the completeness of the water features in the US is a mystery to me. I have added a lot of water landmarks that do not show originally in the client but probably created some redundant water features. I have also seen water where none exists now.

Data Network Coverage Issues

== When I have no coverage, I cannot report. I guess that makes sense sometime for real-time issues, but why can't Waze collect User Reports, cache them, and send them out later?

== Waze seems to do OK in caching the route through poor network coverage areas. I didn't try to zoom in to see where that caching stopped.

Locally Named Highways

== I think there must be a lot of locally named highways that are named for the towns they are in-between or some old name that has since gone archaic. I found a bunch on my trip. All the road signs used the US-xxx or SR-xxx name of some sort and never referred to a name like "Seven Rivers Highway" that was in the map. I did see that name on old abandoned buildings that were from 30-plus years ago when the name was popular. I am moving all these legacy names into an alternate field and
vectorspace

POSTER_ID:4612247

Send a message
vectorspace

Post by bgodette
vectorspace wrote:== Rural SW roads need a lot of work. There are many roads in the map that no longer exist and many that are not named correctly.

== I noticed in the client and editor that oil well workers apparently use Waze in seeking wells, perhaps they store locations to return. Navigating in flat land with countless hundreds of square miles of nothing-much and no physical landmarks is disorienting. Waze kept me company and preserved my sanity at times so I wasn't alone.
There's some die-hard truckers that do quarry and gravel hauling here. Some roads they use you can't even see due to tree coverage.
vectorspace wrote:Data Network Coverage Issues

== When I have no coverage, I cannot report. I guess that makes sense sometime for real-time issues, but why can't Waze collect User Reports, cache them, and send them out later?
We've asked for this many times, and it seems like such a logical thing to do along with caching the GPS trace instead of jumping from the last point it had data connectivity. It's not like we're talking about a huge amount of data/minute either.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Daknife
As to the water layer that is a known problem, but the policy is to not add any water landmarks. It seems like a good idea for locations where a body of water is missing from the water layer, but when another novice editor sees one water landmark they go crazy putting in every little body of water. So the rule is none, if it's critical for a body of water to be in the water layer report it to support. Waze has made adjustments once or twice though it is rare.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by jemay
vectorspace wrote:..... I am moving all these legacy names into an alternate field and
And what????? :lol:
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by nnote
Did a road trip two weeks ago, PHX to MEX (even though you already know that :) )

== There's nothing like a road trip to ferret out weird anomalies that are hard to see while editing, such as an extra road node that makes an errant "turn right" direction where no turn exists.
Didn't experience that.

== For the first time I noticed the client (on an iPad) just blink out and crash or go away a few times. It was like the long trip made it give up and die.
Overheat? My phone plugged in and charging and using waze gets the phone pretty hot. I just left waze running and turned off the screen for some time.

== Rural SW roads need a lot of work. There are many roads in the map that no longer exist and many that are not named correctly.
understatement...

== I am perplexed by Waze's water layer. I saw some brine lakes that were in the client but not landmarks in the map. In other times I see nothing there when there is water. So, the completeness of the water features in the US is a mystery to me. I have added a lot of water landmarks that do not show originally in the client but probably created some redundant water features. I have also seen water where none exists now.
The park next to my house has a catch basin. ya, it's a water feature in waze haha

If you hit report but nothing else, it will time out and a 'report' icon will move to the side of the screen to let you complete the report later. I suppose you could do that but then that only allows for one cached report at a time

== Waze seems to do OK in caching the route through poor network coverage areas. I didn't try to zoom in to see where that caching stopped.
I got about 20 miles map cache when I lost signal, then I just drove off into a big white oblivion
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png

Waze Arizona Twitter

Post by nnote
I'm guessing that multiple pointless extra nodes would be from efd's being deleted and I'll be back later to clean those up :D
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png

Waze Arizona Twitter

Post by ply8808
Last month took a 3600 mile vacation drive, started in Georgia, up the East coast, jump to Ohio, jump to Iowa and hauled my way back to Arizona. Used both a GPS and my iphone with waze for the navigating. Thank goodness for waze taking me through the large cities like Wichita and Albuquerque during the rush hour........a few comments and questions below.....[/color]

Did not experience any oddball directions but did see the occasional ghost road.
When I got back to editing, noticed many of these errant nodes, most are located at creek/river beds or driveway junctions, guidelines specify removal of these nodes but to a new editor such as I it is easy to find justification as to a future turn for driveways or flooding at the creek/river beds.
Can we just say delete?

Experience this often on long journeys, I have found the waze app does not like other processes running on the iphone at the same time, had to hard reset to get everything to function properly.

Ditto, how can we adjust or eliminate?

I like, lost a lot of drive routes in these areas.

Agreed, even when coverage was lost waze kept guiding me along.

Finally, I can now qualify waze as my only navigational device needed.......still have not convinced the wife that the driving portion of this vacation did not have anything to do with wazing ;)
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by vectorspace
jemay wrote:
vectorspace wrote:..... I am moving all these legacy names into an alternate field and
And what????? :lol:
... And senility must have struck... Or those things that mimic a senility response like a screaming set of children needed separation... Or a new honey-do urgent, must-happen-now project, or the wife screaming "your not doing that Waze **** now are you?"
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Ha ha! Yes, wives have that intuition that is often so accurate. Who cares though as many off us like road trips anyway, and Waze just makes that more fun.

On deleting extra nodes.. I would go for it if they cause an error in the directions. You could also do it out of an obsessive compulsive need, but automatic scripts Waze could produce would do this with more efficiency.

I was just driving around in Fullerton CA on a trip to CA State University there. I saw a bunch of navigation audio errors there tap hat are perplexing... Amazing for a densely populated and traveled area I would expect to be well-edited. I'll have to go look in the editor.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace