Spanish Abbreviations and TTS

Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Spanish Abbreviations and TTS

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 pm

I occasionally get UR's complaining about TTS and Spanish abbreviations.

Ave X = Avenida X = TTS says Avenue X
Pso x = Paseo X = TTS says Paseo X
Cam x = Camino X = TTS says ?
Cll x = Calle X = TTS says ?

For Avenida, should we always go through and change write out Ave instead of Ave?

What about for Cam or Cll? Does anyone know how TTS is pronouncing these?

Per the TTS checklist, Pso is being spoken as Paseo, however I have had people complain, so I'm not sure if that is working correctly or not.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... GN0E#gid=0

I don't actually live near any streets using these names, so can't test in person.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Spanish Abbreviations and TTS

Postby Riamus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Just as a note for testing, you can set up a route and then play the TTS audio files from your phone. It lets you test without actually going there.
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby HandofMadness » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Riamus wrote:Just as a note for testing, you can set up a route and then play the TTS audio files from your phone. It lets you test without actually going there.

I know I can set a start point by clicking and holding on the map. Once I have a route set up, how do I fake traveling it to make the TTS speak? I know I can pull up a list of the route.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 pm

You have to go into the Waze folder and play the TTS files (they'll play through Windows Media Player if you connect to your computer). Once it has enough time to download all of the TTS files needed, they'll all be in your TTS folder and can be played. Unfortunately, the filenames are generic, so you'll need to either figure out the right ones based on timestamp or clear the folder before doing your route or just play them all until you find the right ones.

Note that an entire turn instruction may not be in a single file.

TTS Folder:

/sdcard/waze/tts/database/local_nuance_8_mp3_Samantha_Female/ (or whichever voice you use).
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Daknife » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:34 am

Simple, order the local cities to use English names or else! ;)

Actually On Avenida will probably need to be spelled out.
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 pm

There is a whole thread in the FORUM on the TTS with a huge spreadsheet of suggested changes that are submitted to Waze. A long while ago I went in and added a bunch of Spanish abbreviations to that list so it would properly handle Cam/Camino, Cll/Calle, and some other items. I never had time to go back and check if the suggestions made on that forum were adopted.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:58 pm

vectorspace wrote:… properly handle Cam/Camino …

How would it handle Cam Ct, Buffalo, NY; Cam Ct, Kensington, MD; Cam Rd, Scranton, SC; Cam Rd, Thomasville, NC; or La Cam Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA, among many others?
dbraughlr

Postby vectorspace » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:09 pm

The long running thread (62 pages now) on TTS Abbreviations is located here:

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15178

There have been periodic opportunities to suggest changes to a spreadsheet that contains all the TTS words and how to handle them. Waze chooses to make changes when they do. I have seen various improvements over the years.

I suggest you go find and grab the TTS spreadsheet if you're really interested in this topic, consider it, then post on that thread with your suggestions.

As I mentioned, a long while back I compiled a lot of the abbreviations, most Spanish, from the New Mexico area and submitted suggestions. Things like Cam for Camino and Cll for calle were included. I am not familiar with the context issues of those translations as suggested by dbraughlr, such as La Cam Rd translating or not to La Camino Road. In Spanish the abbreviation often comes first before the proper name.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 am

To repeat something I've posted in a couple of related threads, a friend from Mexico tells me that she can't recall ever seeing Cam for Camino, Cll for Calle, or Pso for Paseo on street signs there. Sometimes Ave for Avenida. She said the prefixes are typically spelled out, possibly in quite small letters, followed by the street name in regular-size letters.

I don't recall ever seeing those abbreviations in California either, and we have a lot of Spanish street names.

So it is a real head-scratcher for me why the Waze basemap import applied those prefix abbreviations in the US if they're not necessarily used even in Spanish-speaking countries.

Anyway, near as I can tell, forum consensus seems to be forming that the Cam/Cll/Pso etc. Spanish prefix abbreviations, and especially the Ave abbreviation that would TTS to Avenue not Avenida, need not be maintained or supported in the US and that editors are free to adjust them to their spelled-out versions at will.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Daknife » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Why, because the basemap import was from a database built for and by English speaking Engineers trying to establish conformity in naming standards. We tend to abbreviate road types when we use them on signs so they All get abbreviated. What they do in other countries has zero relevance.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to US Southwest