Spanish Abbreviations and TTS

Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Re: Spanish Abbreviations and TTS

Postby tonestertm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 pm

A not-comprehensive-but-moderate sampling of street signs in several California cities shows, (in every one I saw -- there may be some variants) the words paseo, camino, and calle all spelled out, usually in smaller type, right next to signs with the usual abbreviations of Ave, Blvd, Dr, etc. Never saw any abbreviation for the Spanish words.

For What That's Worth. :)
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby JFeather60 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:01 am

Not to necromancy this thread but... The USPS has a list of standard Spanish-language address abbreviations. The link http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28aph.htm states "it is the preference of the Postal Service that all words in a mailing address appear fully spelled out" followed by as short table of standards. Of course TTS rules, as does common sense, such as not using "Ave" for Avenida at the beginning of a road name.
JFeather60
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:35 am

JFeather60 wrote:Not to necromancy this thread but... The USPS has a list of standard Spanish-language address abbreviations. The link http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28aph.htm states "it is the preference of the Postal Service that all words in a mailing address appear fully spelled out" followed by as short table of standards. Of course TTS rules, as does common sense, such as not using "Ave" for Avenida at the beginning of a road name.

Wow, that is a really good find!

As you mention, the USPS abbreviations are offered with the proviso that they prefer the names be spelled out; they add that the abbreviations should only be considered if space on the address label is insufficient. So, I don't think this changes our current practice.

I do wonder if TTS pronounces "Cll" as "cay-yay"...I have heard it pronounce "Calle" as "Cal". Specifically, a street called "Calle Koral" as "Cal Corral", like it was a university feedlot or something. Sigh.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Previous

Return to US Southwest