Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by tonestertm
A not-comprehensive-but-moderate sampling of street signs in several California cities shows, (in every one I saw -- there may be some variants) the words paseo, camino, and calle all spelled out, usually in smaller type, right next to signs with the usual abbreviations of Ave, Blvd, Dr, etc. Never saw any abbreviation for the Spanish words.

For What That's Worth. :)
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by vectorspace
There is a whole thread in the FORUM on the TTS with a huge spreadsheet of suggested changes that are submitted to Waze. A long while ago I went in and added a bunch of Spanish abbreviations to that list so it would properly handle Cam/Camino, Cll/Calle, and some other items. I never had time to go back and check if the suggestions made on that forum were adopted.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
The long running thread (62 pages now) on TTS Abbreviations is located here:

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15178

There have been periodic opportunities to suggest changes to a spreadsheet that contains all the TTS words and how to handle them. Waze chooses to make changes when they do. I have seen various improvements over the years.

I suggest you go find and grab the TTS spreadsheet if you're really interested in this topic, consider it, then post on that thread with your suggestions.

As I mentioned, a long while back I compiled a lot of the abbreviations, most Spanish, from the New Mexico area and submitted suggestions. Things like Cam for Camino and Cll for calle were included. I am not familiar with the context issues of those translations as suggested by dbraughlr, such as La Cam Rd translating or not to La Camino Road. In Spanish the abbreviation often comes first before the proper name.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace