Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------

Spanish Abbreviations and TTS

Post by HandofMadness
I occasionally get UR's complaining about TTS and Spanish abbreviations.

Ave X = Avenida X = TTS says Avenue X
Pso x = Paseo X = TTS says Paseo X
Cam x = Camino X = TTS says ?
Cll x = Calle X = TTS says ?

For Avenida, should we always go through and change write out Ave instead of Ave?

What about for Cam or Cll? Does anyone know how TTS is pronouncing these?

Per the TTS checklist, Pso is being spoken as Paseo, however I have had people complain, so I'm not sure if that is working correctly or not.

I don't actually live near any streets using these names, so can't test in person.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6884845

Send a message

Post by Daknife
Simple, order the local cities to use English names or else! ;)

Actually On Avenida will probably need to be spelled out.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Why, because the basemap import was from a database built for and by English speaking Engineers trying to establish conformity in naming standards. We tend to abbreviate road types when we use them on signs so they All get abbreviated. What they do in other countries has zero relevance.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by dbraughlr
vectorspace wrote:… properly handle Cam/Camino …
How would it handle Cam Ct, Buffalo, NY; Cam Ct, Kensington, MD; Cam Rd, Scranton, SC; Cam Rd, Thomasville, NC; or La Cam Rd, Thousand Oaks, CA, among many others?
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
To repeat something I've posted in a couple of related threads, a friend from Mexico tells me that she can't recall ever seeing Cam for Camino, Cll for Calle, or Pso for Paseo on street signs there. Sometimes Ave for Avenida. She said the prefixes are typically spelled out, possibly in quite small letters, followed by the street name in regular-size letters.

I don't recall ever seeing those abbreviations in California either, and we have a lot of Spanish street names.

So it is a real head-scratcher for me why the Waze basemap import applied those prefix abbreviations in the US if they're not necessarily used even in Spanish-speaking countries.

Anyway, near as I can tell, forum consensus seems to be forming that the Cam/Cll/Pso etc. Spanish prefix abbreviations, and especially the Ave abbreviation that would TTS to Avenue not Avenida, need not be maintained or supported in the US and that editors are free to adjust them to their spelled-out versions at will.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
JFeather60 wrote:Not to necromancy this thread but... The USPS has a list of standard Spanish-language address abbreviations. The link http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28aph.htm states "it is the preference of the Postal Service that all words in a mailing address appear fully spelled out" followed by as short table of standards. Of course TTS rules, as does common sense, such as not using "Ave" for Avenida at the beginning of a road name.
Wow, that is a really good find!

As you mention, the USPS abbreviations are offered with the proviso that they prefer the names be spelled out; they add that the abbreviations should only be considered if space on the address label is insufficient. So, I don't think this changes our current practice.

I do wonder if TTS pronounces "Cll" as "cay-yay"...I have heard it pronounce "Calle" as "Cal". Specifically, a street called "Calle Koral" as "Cal Corral", like it was a university feedlot or something. Sigh.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Riamus wrote:Just as a note for testing, you can set up a route and then play the TTS audio files from your phone. It lets you test without actually going there.
I know I can set a start point by clicking and holding on the map. Once I have a route set up, how do I fake traveling it to make the TTS speak? I know I can pull up a list of the route.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by JFeather60
Not to necromancy this thread but... The USPS has a list of standard Spanish-language address abbreviations. The link http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28aph.htm states "it is the preference of the Postal Service that all words in a mailing address appear fully spelled out" followed by as short table of standards. Of course TTS rules, as does common sense, such as not using "Ave" for Avenida at the beginning of a road name.
JFeather60
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Just as a note for testing, you can set up a route and then play the TTS audio files from your phone. It lets you test without actually going there.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
You have to go into the Waze folder and play the TTS files (they'll play through Windows Media Player if you connect to your computer). Once it has enough time to download all of the TTS files needed, they'll all be in your TTS folder and can be played. Unfortunately, the filenames are generic, so you'll need to either figure out the right ones based on timestamp or clear the folder before doing your route or just play them all until you find the right ones.

Note that an entire turn instruction may not be in a single file.

TTS Folder:

/sdcard/waze/tts/database/local_nuance_8_mp3_Samantha_Female/ (or whichever voice you use).
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.