Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------

Frontage Road & Routing

Post by techguy9707
I am seeing a recurring issue with this section and it relates to Frontage Roads in general.

Madison Avenue is a major connector between US-50 and US-80 in the suburban area of Sacramento. This section is what I talking about. Madison is a Primary road (minor highway?). The selected sections are the route Waze provided the UR is this shot. It takes the driver off the 3-lane each direction Madison Ave onto the narrow residential frontage road (Madison Avenue). I thought I had added a very short section of Private Road to the beginning of the frontage version of Madison (near Schuyler Dr) to discourage this routing but it's not there anymore. I did this to prevent direct routings to the frontage but allow routing if the address occured in this section. Madison is now a locked road.

I have a couple questions
What should we do to prevent this routing?
Was my addition of a short (10m?) section of Private Road to the beginning of the frontage road an improper solution?
What is the best practice for frontage roads like this? (we have several in this area.)

Most of the frontage road discussions are focussed on Service Roads or frontage roads near freeways. I did not see any discussion of frontage roads in busy suburban settings. You can see the other side of Madison has a similar road. IIRC, the beginning of the northern Madison frontage road is not open to traffic like this one.

I am a Rank 2 editor with about 3,900 edits.
techguy9707

POSTER_ID:16843722

Send a message

Post by bgodette
First that's a local access road. Second, pretend Service Road doesn't exist, wherever you see them retype as PLot/Private/Primary/Street as determined by function.

For this specific UR there's not much that can be done other than "wait for Waze to collect more data" or "wait for Waze to implement Intersections" without it being a routing hack. That being said, the only thing that you can do that won't drastically affect legitimate access to the side streets is to set this segment to Private. That pushes the detour to the intersection at Rutland that hopefully has more turn data.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
bgodette wrote:...the only thing that you can do that won't drastically affect legitimate access to the side streets is to set this segment to Private. That pushes the detour to the intersection at Rutland that hopefully has more turn data.
FWIW, the suggested segment is typed PLot as of at least Jan 24 (no big deal, I know), and there's still a whole stretch of local access along the north side of Madison set to Service Road.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!