Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by taco909
Update,
Test grid is now working as expected. First u-turn routed is at 186th St with doglegs only on the departing (northbound) segment.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PesachZ wrote:
taco909 wrote:Update,
Test grid is now working as expected. First u-turn routed is at 186th St with doglegs only on the departing (northbound) segment.
So I understand then that you are confirming the wiki is currently accurate as is at 180° ±5° = allowed range of 175-185°?

Great work, thanks for putting in the effort, and my apologies if my previous explanations were subpar leading to your confusion, misunderstanding, and frustration. If you think the current updated text may still lead to such confusion please try to suggest some better wording to eliminate any confusion.
No problem.
I'm going to set up a couple of alternates to confirm operation where a box is set to permit on two perpendicular approaches and prohibit on the other two. It looks straightforward but I want to be sure it works as expected, and there's no surprises on turn angles changing from turn to stay (or BC issues).

This DOES simplify things to a degree, as we can easily permit one side without having to tweak the adjacent approach since we only need to tweak one of the segments.

This was also the consistency failure I was running into originally on the Glendora "H" intersection.
I tried everything in the book and couldn't get a u turn routed until I bumped the median to 16m.

OTOH, this complicates some of the guard shack bypass segments that I've installed on private entrances. I held the incoming/outgoing parallel and added a <10m median, and doglegged the median to pull the angles to 10+ away from 180 to allow an "escape" for someone making an incorrect right turn.
Going to have to look for these now, as the prohibition on the u-turn at the median will likely overcome the PVT segment penalty and still route into the complex should someone "miss" a turn and head into the guard shack.
Then again, the recalc on that last segment may ignore the u-turn penalty anyways.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
CBenson wrote:It looks to me like the U-turn is prevented as it looks like it meets all the criteria discussed here. I think making this segment longer than 15 m would permit the U-turn.
Yes.
89.6 plus 95.55 = 185.15... that is too close to say for certain that it will "break" u-turn prevention.
If you adjust the upper junction to move it to 91.5 or higher it should allow the u-turn.

Now, is a u-turn actually allowed there? الثلاثين looks to be a divided road, and the u-turn that you are wanting will have the side street making a left into southbound traffic.

Also remember that Livemap does not update until after the app updates, so changes made in the editor will not be reflected in Livemap routing immediately.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Another thing to keep in mind is if there is or is not a valid alternative route.
If no u-turn is available further down the road, and no reasonable "around the block" path exists, then the u-turn penalty will be ignored.
Also, these are penalty based, not hard restrictions like one-way or red arrows, so heavy traffic may also contribute.

Agreed with not touching it until a Champ can look at it.
Can you duplicate the route in Livemap?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
ruggles76 wrote:Ran across a UR where the routing engine doesn't seem to be following the rules for median u-turn prevention. All the rule are satisfied, 3 segments, in/out opposite in direction, exactly parallel, 13m median, should prohibit U-turn.

You can see enough of the routing to know it wasn't right after starting navigation or recalculating. And as far as routing penalties are concerned, there is an obvious alternative with a penalty that would only be trivially higher than the u-turn would be if legal.
Is the u-turn enabled at the point where the driver actually made the turn?

We have found the cross-segment u-turn penalty violated quite a number of times, but never able to duplicate in Livemap, which lends support to the violation being due to the penalty being exceeded because of traffic delays, most often when there is no nearby legitimate u-turn, or "around the block" routing that does not entail a PLR or PVT.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by tonestertm
Taco909 wrote:Then why did my 9m segment begin consistently routing u-turns on the map update after I added a name to it?
I had extensively tested it before and after the app update to be sure it was solid before adding the name. Very next day it routed (still testing, I did not get a UR on it).
Un-name it again and verify the behavior changes again.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by tonestertm
taco909 wrote:...and on Bowties I pull the permitted u-turns in to 174 or so.
Bowtie U-turns should be set to 169.0 degrees or greater (using doglegs, if necessary), to enable a correct prompt.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Edited to correct typo. And again to correct quote attribution.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
Last edited by tonestertm on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by Traveling_Gav
Per the guidance in the wiki here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Global ... _penalties

I am posting two examples we have in Australia at the moment where the U-turn prevention in a roundabout is NOT working. As far as we can tell they did work in the past and we do see other examples that do work. Both of these examples have a slip lane to send you past the roundabout. We are trying to use the guidance here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ro ... prevention

Help?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =350317486
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... t=14135757
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
I have spoken to the Australians and the wazeopedia says to post here?
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by triordan
I followed all the wiki rules but users are still getting routed via UTURN at this intersection. Any suggestions on how I can prevent these instructions?

PL: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=5168116

I'm thinking maybe a AGC for left turns is in order?

triordan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
triordan_4
Northern Tampa Bay Area Manager, Florida
Team Southeast USA! #se-main
triordan's Wazeopedia