Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm | jemay
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by triordan
Questions submitted to reporter. Thank you PesachZ.
triordan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
triordan_4
Northern Tampa Bay Area Manager, Florida
Team Southeast USA! #se-main
triordan's Wazeopedia

Post by triordan
Answers to your questions:

"I believe it was provided from the beginning, and it recalculated after we turned left (as we could turn, just not a uturn as per instruction). My preference is set to fastest"
triordan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
triordan_4
triordan's Wazeopedia

Post by triordan
@PesachZ

Do you still need that first UR at the BBDowns Intersection open? Or are we thinking that's the same issue?

PL: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... emFilter=0
triordan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
triordan_4
triordan's Wazeopedia

Post by unlimited1808
I experienced a double left u-turn this morning that appears set up correctly to prevent the double left u-turn. The intersection is signed no u-turns.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=4831791

1. Composed of 3 segments, with the 2 legs in opposite travel directions. Does the A-B direction of the segment affect this? Because both are one way A->B?

2. Composed with a short median. It is currently 42.65 ft.

3. In/out parallelism is within +/- 5 degrees of parallel. In segment to median is 86 degrees. Median to out segment is 95 degrees. 86 + 95 = 181

This was a reroute this morning. I was getting some really odd routes. I don't believe this was the first segment in a route/reroute as noted in the Wiki article. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... ersections

Any ideas?
unlimited1808
Send a message

Post by unlimited1808
PesachZ wrote: How many segments after the reroute was this? Was the reroute trying to get you back into your previous route and using the U-turn to do that?
I was traveling I-78 W this morning. Waze suggested Exit 40: SR-737 / Kutztown like it does every morning. And like every morning, I take PA-100 S to Schantz Rd to US-222 S. Usually when I get off the exit, Waze reroutes to 100/Schantz/222. This morning it suggested using the 4 cloverleafs to make a complete u-turn back to I-78 W (and I'm assuming Exit 40). I ignored it and continued, causing a 2nd reroute using the double left u-turn for 100 S to 100 N.

I count 6 segments after the ramp that I passed causing the 2nd reroute until the intersection where the double left u-turn at Penn Dr was suggested.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 7,84050698

I expect Waze was trying to take me back to I-78 given it's persistence after the first reroute using the 4 cloverleafs.
unlimited1808
Send a message

Post by unlimited1808
qwaletee wrote:Unlimited,

Waze is known to ignore the U-turn penalty when encouraging you to return to a route.
I read that in the Wiki but it noted if it was the first or last segment when rerouted. There are 6 segments in that stretch but I could have been anywhere among them when it rerouted. I've only seen it that one time. Like I said, I was getting really odd routes that morning in general. Maybe Waze had too much to drink the night before?? I'll see if it happens again.
unlimited1808
Send a message

Post by unlimited1808
PesachZ wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Unlimited,

Waze is known to ignore the U-turn penalty when encouraging you to return to a route.
To expand on this a bit further. When you miss a turn or deviate from your route, the app will try to get you back on route as quick as possible.
This is first attempted through client-side (with offline routing, where there are no closures, or special penalties applied).
Only if the client cant find a route back to your original route in a set time frame, will it then pass the recalc to the routing server (with full penalties and closures).
Ok. Makes sense. The suggested U-turn experienced likely came from the app itself without knowledge of the u-turn prevention penalties.
unlimited1808
Send a message

Post by voludu2
For the wiki:
1) The median segment is less than 15m.
2) The first and last segment of the uturn are one-way segments, with opposite driving directions.
3) The portion of those two segments closest to the median segment must be exactly parallel ±5°.

A convenient way to check for parallel is relative to the short segment. There should be no geometry nodes on this segment. then we need to check two angles:
X -- the angle between the incoming one-way segment and the short segment
Y -- the angle between the outgoing one-way segment and the short segment.
If the sum of these two angles is within 5 degrees of 180, then rule 3 is satisfied.

In the example below, angle X is 102 degrees and angle Y is 75 degrees. The sum is 177, which is within 3 degrees of 180. Therefore rule 3 is satisfied.
LilyPondAve_no_U.JPG
(64.97 KiB) Downloaded 1436 times
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Oh elaborations and complications! I will muse on that and come up with some wording.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2

1) there is a median segment of length less than 15 m
2) the U-turn to be considered consists of one one-way segment incoming to the median segment, the median segment, and one one-way segment outbound from the median segment.
3) The portion of those two segments closest to the median segment must be exactly parallel ±5°.

A convenient way to check for parallel is relative to a reference segment that connects the A and B nodes of the median segment with no geometry nodes. A median segment with no geometry nodes is its own reference segment. The reference segment can be deleted after the check is complete, if appropriate. Check two angles:
X -- the angle between the incoming one-way segment and the reference segment
Y -- the angle between the outgoing one-way segment and the reference segment.
If the sum of these two angles is within 5 degrees of 180, then rule 3 is satisfied.

In the example below, angle X is 102 degrees and angle Y is 75 degrees. The sum is 177, which is within 3 degrees of 180. Therefore rule 3 is satisfied.
LilyPondAve_no_U.JPG
voludu2
Send a message