U-turn editing?

Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Re: U-turn editing?

Postby CBenson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:06 pm

I'm curious as to the destination. Was the ultimate destination close to the U-turn, was the U-turn part of a U/right to avoid a left turn, or something else?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Kayos_On_The_Road » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:26 pm

I've attached a screenshot of the LiveMap showing the preferred routing and destination. This was not to avoid a long left and I would need to pass through another intersection prior to getting the U-Turn instruction. Interestingly, you don't actually get a U-Tun instruction, but two left turns. I've also attached the instructions as provided by LiveMap.

Routing Image and instructions.

Kayos
Samsung Galaxy S7 (7.0 stock), waze version always latest beta.
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Waze Beta Leader (Android)
Canada Wazeopedia
[ img ][ img ]
Kayos_On_The_Road
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:59 pm

I'll be interested to hear what staff says. Seems to me the question is: why is the U-turn at 60th prevented but not the U-turn at 58th?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:13 pm

CBenson wrote:I'll be interested to hear what staff says. Seems to me the question is: why is the U-turn at 60th prevented but not the U-turn at 58th?

In livemap 58A Ave is prevented as well unless I start changing some parameters, and even then I could only cajole it to give the U-turn at 58A as a 2nd option.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Hmm, I had no problem at all getting the live map to route the U at 58A, like in Kayos's screenshot.

https://www.waze.com/livemap?lon=-122.7 ... t_text=Now

I would also assume that the BDP effects around the block U turns here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Kayos_On_The_Road » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:03 pm

For me in Live Map it depended on my start point. Closer to 58A it won't give the U-Turn, further away it will. My actual route joined onto Hwy 15 up at 68A Ave (further North), when I place the start point up there it gave me the U-Turn at 58A as the first route... Weird....
Samsung Galaxy S7 (7.0 stock), waze version always latest beta.
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Waze Beta Leader (Android)
Canada Wazeopedia
[ img ][ img ]
Kayos_On_The_Road
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby failsafe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Got a UR that shows routing of a U-Turn eastbound on Golf Road in Rolling Meadows, IL through this intersection. It appears all the criteria were met to prevent this from being allowed.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ueFilter=0

The median segment is 45.93 feet, less than the 49.21 feet required, and spot-on the 14 meter buffer amount. According to the Junction Angle Info plugin, the angles are within 5 degrees of each other. Should this also be reported to staff? I can fix it with a bowtie, but the Junction Style Guide said to post in here.
Former Area manager: Chicago Metro Area, Kenosha, and Saint Louis
[ img ][ img ]
failsafe

Postby DanR67 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:16 am

Thanks for the pointers on reporter etiquette, Failsafe...n00bs gotta learn somewhere :lol:

Actually - I watched the map editor videos through the mobile client - but unfortunately it didn't stress browsing thru the wiki / forums as deeply as I should have first...

I am bookmarking this thread for starters - as a quick "Advanced Search" of threads with "U-turn" in the the title had 1600+ hits :shock:

Cheers,

Dan
'I'm not afraid of heights...I'm afraid of widths' - Stephen Wright

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Danr67

[ img ][ img ]
DanR67
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PesachZ » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm

failsafe wrote:Got a UR that shows routing of a U-Turn eastbound on Golf Road in Rolling Meadows, IL through this intersection. It appears all the criteria were met to prevent this from being allowed.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ueFilter=0

The median segment is 45.93 feet, less than the 49.21 feet required, and spot-on the 14 meter buffer amount. According to the Junction Angle Info plugin, the angles are within 5 degrees of each other. Should this also be reported to staff? I can fix it with a bowtie, but the Junction Style Guide said to post in here.

I commented in the UR asking the reporter for more info, hopefully they will reply, but they haven't yet so I won't hold my breath. The purple route trace seems to start from E Frontage Rd here. This could be an indicator that were recalculated just there which is a known limitation of the penalty system used in Waze routing. If they were travelling eastbound and supposed to make a right turn south, but missed the turn, the app would try to turn them around and give them the left turn south which it did. This recalculation is first attempted ad hoc in the client for effieciency, however the client is not able to process these complex routing algorithms for prevention, and therefore the uturn penalty (and several others) are not effected during client side routing. We will need to hear back from the reporter what precipitated this U-turn, if we don't hear back I suggest we leave the map as is. I am not a fan of the bow-tie at all.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby failsafe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 pm

PesachZ wrote:I am not a fan of the bow-tie at all.

Neither am I, but it does give more control when all else fails.

If only Waze would do a little more to encourage the response of reporters, they'd be helping themselves and the vast amount of skilled-yet-unpaid labor that edit the maps.
Former Area manager: Chicago Metro Area, Kenosha, and Saint Louis
[ img ][ img ]
failsafe

PreviousNext

Return to US Southwest