Southwest lock standard?

Coordinator: ottonomy & ARC: tonestertm
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, tonestertm, ottonomy

Southwest lock standard?

Postby irowiki » Tue May 13, 2014 4:15 pm

This thread is sort of an extension of this thread about locking highways to level 2 and this thread asking about a nationwide lock standard.

Several regions are adopting a standard that suits them, so I thought perhaps I'd test the waters and see if we want to do something in the Southwest.

In NM our strategy is evolving, but we're looking at something to the tune of:

FW/Ramps: 5
MH: 4
mH: 3
PS: 2

AZ is doing similar.

In the SW area, we have unique cases, where CA is very dense population wise, but UT, NV, NM, CO, AZ are quite sparse. Not sure about HI.

So we may have to end up with a SW Standard + California. Thoughts?
irowiki

Re: Southwest lock standard?

Postby ply8808 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Although I can understand the standards set by other regions I support these standards for the Southwest region. I would like to suggest that with the mentoring program and promotion ability that we push for the immunity on the AM status editors and if implemented we could consider the higher locks as the review process is certainly set at a higher standard for AM approval and rights to those editors should be reflected in editing abilities.
At that time the MH and mH rank 4 lock would be more feasible to the local community. IMO
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
Regional Coordinator - Northwest Region
Assistant Regional Coordinator - Mid Atlantic Region
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 12.1.4
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Wed May 14, 2014 2:31 pm

I like Fw and Ramps at 5 and have been putting Mh at 3 as I've been converting US hwys to Mh, but below that, due to to rural areas not always getting timely reviews by AM's I am hesitant about going lower. I have yet to see evidence of vandalism or even accidental editing in those rural areas that would be problematic and justify locking out newer local editors.

If we lock everything down, we risk cutting off a steady flow of new editors, which is needed.
Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Thu May 15, 2014 3:20 pm

I tend to agree with daknife...

If we had a "southwest locking guidance" I would generally think it would be to err on locking to a lower level rather than higher because of a lower population density and less maturity in editing of some roads.

I also ask the question, "Why would we need a southwest locking guidance?" Irowiki, why do you think we need one? I can think of non-technical answers that focus more on the social aspects of Waze... for instance, that it would be harder to do this country-wide, so let's just work to advance our region.

Technically I think that the two issues I mentioned above are more critical than regionalism of locking... that is population density and roadway maturity.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby ply8808 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Not an attempt to answer for irowiki, but I find a regional discussion for level locks beneficial, not as a locking standard but for a regional input to the nation wide discussion of level locks and the vastly diversified aspects we contend with.
An example is the input from you and daknife has promoted my thought process away from the higher locks to accommodate the influx of new editors as well as allowing the local AMs more influence on the editing in their areas. And not to fail mention of our wide open areas that are not monitored as well due to editing privileges and lack of AMs in the areas.
We have a unique combination of roadway systems in this region that would not always fit well with other regions and this discussion can be used for a consensus at the Southwest Regional level as substantial influence at the national level.
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 12.1.4
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vectorspace » Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm

ply8808 wrote:Not an attempt to answer for irowiki, ...

Nuts, I should have coordinated with my fellow Mentor about this. As his Mentor, I was trying to put irowiki on the spot (a little bit) to defend his position publicly! :)
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby ply8808 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Bummer :oops:
But I do not feel we should let your mentee completely off the hook as he did start the topic, and I for one am very interested in his response :)
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
iPhone 7, iOS 12.1.4
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Sat May 17, 2014 1:19 pm

I have been following these lock standard forums but have until now to respond because I wasn't sure how I felt. I agree with vectorspace when it comes to error on the low side. Being one of the few still active SD area managers I get a lot of interaction with the city. Even with all the colleges our newer editor population down here isn't very active. And when they are they are too busy mapping out the million malls we have down here with every parking lot spot. I have corrected a few as I see them, but most don't seem to monitor forums or chat. Now I say this because the idea of locking SD down to such high levels is only going to cause me and the 3 other level 3's that spend any time here to always being requiring update/unlock requests. Granted I understand that's what it's there for. But why put the need there? I can't think of any 4's I have seen in the SD area and there are only 1 or 2 5's who I rarely see anymore. Which puts it all on the CM's. I personally see this as unnecessary. We have little to no vandalism in SD so I don't see a high lock standard useful at all. Case by case basis excluded. We will always need to lock complicated or frequently incorrect areas.

Granted once I get to actually spend some time with my mentor stuff can start to change. (Maybe) :)

Just my .02

-Ski

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby vectorspace » Sat May 17, 2014 10:45 pm

ply8808 wrote:Bummer :oops:
But I do not feel we should let your mentee completely off the hook as he did start the topic, and I for one am very interested in his response :)

No problem! Defense of editors against tyrannical champs is a virtue! I look forward to his response too!
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby Daknife » Sun May 18, 2014 7:54 pm

As one of only a few non champ L6 editors, that is my mission in life, "Protecting editors from Tyannical Champs". ;-)

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
[ img ]
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to US Southwest