Coordinator: karlcr9911 & ARC: sketch
------------------------------------------------------------

Revisiting Lock Level Standards - Regional

Post by Fredo-p
REVISITING LOCK LEVEL STANDARDS

With the recent map vandalism that went on on TX, the discussion of heightening lock levels for MH and mH has come up. Many are suggesting to set them to R4.

As it may take some time for a national standard to be reached, it is important for the regions to also take part in the discussion and get the ball rolling. The Great Lakes Region has already been in full discussion with this. The thread can be found here.

Let's get this discussion going and figure out what this region thinks. Invite all your local editors in on this discussion to get everyones opinion.
Fredo-p

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
txemt wrote:Texas is adopting the following standard:

Fwy & MH: 5
mH: 4
PS: 3

All other roads are automatic (1)

High value places (5): Universities, hospitals, major sporting stadiums
Other places (3): Gas stations & schools
Those lock standards seem kind of high. I could understand for a metro area, but for the entire state? doesn't that go against Waze's ideals to welcome new editors. Locking everything too high can deter them from wanting to edit.

For the place lock standards, are you saying L4 editors have screwed up universities, hospitals and major sporting stadiums to lock them at 5?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by jasonh300
In Louisiana, all freeways and ramps are locked at R5. Most MH in the state have been locked at R4.

In the areas that are covered daily by R5 and higher editors, we lock the following:

Freeway and Ramp: R5
MH: 4
mH: 3
PS: 2

All Places that have been reviewed are locked at R4.

These areas include the following cities and the surrounding areas: Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, St Tammany Parish.

Less mature areas have not received any standardized locks (other than freeways and ramps).

The same minimum locking has been applied to the Mississippi Gulf Coast since I cover that area daily also.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jlspence99
Fredo-p wrote:
txemt wrote:Texas is adopting the following standard:

Those lock standards seem kind of high. I could understand for a metro area, but for the entire state? doesn't that go against Waze's ideals to welcome new editors. Locking everything too high can deter them from wanting to edit.
I agree. In Arkansas we are using the following:

Fwy & MH: 4
jlspence99
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by nightauth
As a relatively new editor, I will say I was quite deterred by the reliance on 3+ editors for PLR edits on quite minor roads such as Braesview in San Antonio.

Fwy & MH: 4

feels like the right way to go, with some exceptions for Fwy & MH stretches that will need very little upkeep. I am constantly trying to add PLRs as we are very short on them here in SA, and as an Lyft/Uber driver using Waze, I am constantly finding that there are better routes than what Waze is telling me due to the lack of PLRs. Yet every time I want to add PLRs I have to get a lvl 3 or 4 to connect them for me. This is a huge PIA.
nightauth
Send a message

Post by txemt
Texas is adopting the following standard:

txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
Texas is top heavy (2 6s and 7 5s). There are only 2 4s in the state. No 3s, a couple of 2s and some 1s.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Two things about Texas locking standards:
1) had it not been for a lowly rank 2 to come in and delete 4 major highways though Texas, I wouldn't have given it any thought
2) a LOT of Texas is rural and won't need many changes once fixed. For those working the rural areas, locks go into effect when they're down fixing it, so not a whole lot will need to be adjusted.
txemt
Send a message