Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: PhantomSoul | RussPA
------------------------------------------------------------

Northeastern City Naming

Post by PhantomSoul
Hi, all.

So, a point has been brought up in the NJ SM hangout about anything less deterministic than using official municipal names for primary city names creates a high risk of accidental BDPs because of inconsistent ways a road's city name can change, particularly with sloppy editing that does not have a universal right/wrong reference to point to. I, however, am not sure how much of an overall impact that really has and continue to feel that municipal names don't adequately describe areas that are better known by some other name - most often, non-self-incorporated towns within a township. I also know that many of the other states in this region are faced with the same dilemma.

So my question is, what does everyone else do? If you use CDP's, why did you choose to use them? If you use preferred postal cities by zip code, why did you choose that? If you decided on some less deterministic way, like whatever an area is called, why did you choose that?

I'm just trying to get a better sense of why other states in the region are doing what they're doing, since NJ seems to be in a similar situation.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:11269522

Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
TheLastTaterTot wrote:I'm wondering if this thread can now be marked as solved, since inconsistent city names is no longer an issue for BDP?
I would close it. It's not really solved, but rather deferred to a time when Waze can better support segments (or overlapping polygons) having multiple equally-important names to show both in the address lists and on the map overlay.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by TheLastTaterTot
I'm wondering if this thread can now be marked as solved, since inconsistent city names is no longer an issue for BDP?
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor