Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: PhantomSoul | RussPA
------------------------------------------------------------

Navigation for slower Hills

Post by steelguitarlane
Let's say I want to go from Hagerstown Maryland to points west of Ohio on 70 (I'm a trucker, going back and forth between Lenexa Kan and Hagerstown, Md twice a week.
The silly thing wants me to take I-68 to 79, which MIGHT save fifteen minutes in a car, but from experience I know will be TWO HOURS longer. The "learn my route" feature has yet to figure out that, unless 70 is closed, there's no way on God's Green Earth I'm climbing that pile of spaghetti.
steelguitarlane

POSTER_ID:17055385

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
I think that is a great idea, and maybe be better suited for the Waze App Feature Request to make it easier for the waze staff to see it. From my understanding currently this would not be possible because waze does not distinguish types of vehicle, are you just someone with a slow car, and 18 wheeler, or other. There has been in the works for a while the vehicle type classification, which if it ever went live would be the only way to probably to perform this sort of routing intelligence. It would also be important for that to go live first as, I am sure you have encountered, waze currently cant distinguish if you are legally allowed to drive on a road or if it is restricted for your vehicle type, which is a critical first step to be a better app for truckers. Great idea though, hopefully we can get them to go live with that vehicle type road restriction functionality sometime soon...
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by PhantomSoul
So, the so-called "Learn my route" feature is a myth. Waze calculates routes either by shortest distance or fastest expected travel time, based on the option you select in the settings, and assumes your are driving a passenger car. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to change that last assumption, since Waze is designed to assist commuters driving their cars to/from work.

However, you are welcome to request better truck support here: viewforum.php?f=657

Sorry the map editing community can't be of more help right now.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Don't be so sure. I ran a few tests with someone I know, and it appeared that Waze did reconize that we had different driving preferences for similar routes. I suspect it may employ a very small reverse penalty for nodes that it notes you have traversed before.

Of course, the sample size was small, and it may have been coincidence.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues