Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: PhantomSoul | RussPA
------------------------------------------------------------

Should Waze stop importing speed limit & revert back what's imported?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:48 am
Yes (STOP importing speed limits via prediction tool and ROLL BACK what's imported)
72%
Yes (Just stop importing, KEEP what's imported)
22%
No (Continue to use Prediction tool)
6%

Total votes: 64

Speed Limits via prediction tool

Post by orbitc
Waze use prediction tool to update speed limits in many states. The issue is that the tool is not perfect. Thus, cause more issue than it helps. Before I ask Waze to stop this process and remove what's been imported so far, I would like to get your feedback.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:8359316

Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Even if we were finding these SL predictions accurate (which I do not), it doesn't work with our workflow. We verify the numbers then add them.

Now one could argue you could ignore them but the fact it can limit what we can do with a segment in terms of merging wth another would be a strike against them too. The Poland map raid I think they did a good job with the SL so it is possibly in some areas j just don't think quite as valuable here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
After starting the map raid in PA, i have had some change of heart on the imported SL. I feel that they are still inaccurate, however they have been very helpful in identifying areas of Speed Limit changes. So I am more favorable to them now. The issue is more what people do with this data than the existence of it.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by cshinn89
At the very least if they haven't finished running the predictions I vote that they stop. I have a feeling that trying to have them roll them back may be more trouble than it's worth. although having them just delete all unverified speed limits should be a very simple line of code.
cshinn89
Send a message
--Chris
Pa, NJ, and NY Editor as well as
Thailand RM
AM Pike County PA

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/3/3b/Live-wazer.png

Post by Diontkdg
It seems like there is much more attention on entering/correcting the SL now than there was before. Make a competition of it between the states to be the first one to fix it. As long as the app isn't live until a state reaches a minimum "verified" percentage then it doesn't really matter what's in WME. As long as the prediction values don't replace already entered/verified values, it's no biggie.

...my .02
Diontkdg
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Diontkdg on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by grsmhiker
KTCAOP wrote:That said, as other have echo'd, if the prediction algorithm is overwriting previously entered/"verified" speed limits, then sure it can go away.
I have confirmed several examples of this happening in more than one Tennessee city. In each case only a few scattered segments were overwritten with unconfirmed speed data, but it's still a hassle to go back and have to recheck and confirm a road that's already been addressed.
grsmhiker
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
I don't see the harm even if they are inaccurate. Currently they aren't showing up until they are verified anyways. It would be nice if they were more accurate, but quite frankly, I am of a mind that everyone should be able to opt in to unverified speeds in the app (marked appropriately). This way the user can report that the speed is correct or report that the speed is incorrect. And to be clear I mean the option for everyone.

Not a big fan of the SL's in general, but, it sure seems to me this would be a great pro for "crowd source" info. Just like the old basemaps the unverified speed limits can be a beacon for a particular area needs addressed.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Joyriding
Personally I've had no show-stopping issues with the predicted speed limits when using scripts to help apply the correct speed limits to segments. Yes, they're often wrong and for the most part I ignore them completely. But I've found that they are somewhat useful in giving us another WME-native hint as to where the speed limit changes occur without driving every inch of the map in Street View.

Most of the problems I've seen are related to limitations in the UI when multiple segments are selected, and for the most part can currently be worked-around using the available scripts.

The worst-case scenario I can envision is an editor just blindly verifying the predicted speed limits, but we already run a similar risk in a lot of other aspects of editing. In this case, it can be easy to spot such behavior as speed limits don't tend to jump around over short distances like this:

(35mph <-> 55mph <-> 30mph <-> 55mph if that's not quite readable)

I'm not really in favor of rolling back the predicted speeds. Just simply fixing the UI and keeping this extra bit of information until we can verify the speed limits and set them correctly on the segments.
Joyriding
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by KTCAOP
I'm curious if the speed limits placed by the prediction tool even matter. Will drivers see the speed limit even if they are not verified?

As is, since the Speed Limits need to be "verified" anyway, the prediction tool doesn't seem to really be that effective for me, and for me personally feels as though it takes just as long if not longer to "verify" the speed limits versus just adding them in manually, which then verifies them.

That said, as other have echo'd, if the prediction algorithm is overwriting previously entered/"verified" speed limits, then sure it can go away.

In short, I personally kind of just ignore the fact that it is there. It doesn't need to go, but it also doesn't really need to stay either.
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by orbitc
If the speed limit is verified, it should not be removed. Waze should be able to do that.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!