Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: PhantomSoul | RussPA
------------------------------------------------------------

Mapping ferries with varying schedules

Post by beachbumli247
Is there a way to map ferries with varying schedules? I've seen multiple UR's on Long Island related to the lack of the Cross Sound Ferry (Orient Point, NY to New London, CT) in the app. I know that TheLastTaterTot began mapping the ferry from the NY side along with another editor Havock9, but the issue they came across was that the ferry scheduled varied not only day by day, but month to month as well.

The only solution I could think of was looking at the schedules over the course of a few months, mapping out which ferry times were always available during these months, and only setting the ferry as available during these times (i.e. find the latest start and earliest end time, and use those to set the schedule).

It seems the schedule is only posted about a month in advance, so you can only view the April schedule right now, but I believe the ferry schedule is a lot more sparse in the winter months than it is from April to October.

Would there be a better way to setup the schedule for the ferry other than the way I laid out above?

Regards,
Warren
beachbumli247
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3497890

Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Cape May Lewes Ferry in NJ/DE has the same problem. It's essentially a semi-seasonal service that has far more sailings later into the day during seasons that feature more daylight and calmer waters than not. It's sailings are also weather-dependent and often get canceled with minimal notice if weather is not appropriate for crossing.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
If you're hot on the topic, you can call them, ask to speak to a manager, explain the problem, and work out something with them.

As far as canceled trips, we can get them hooked up with RTC rights, so they can put it in themselves.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues