Post by doctorkb
I would agree that the understanding is that Waze won't route on them, however the current US guidance is to restrict all turns. It does no harm and is likely best not to deviate from that.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
For clarification - this has been a feature requested in North America since at least 2012. Pretty sure it wasn't a 2014 request at a meetup that triggered its implementation.

Furthermore, we tend to not look at the European countries for guidance, as there is often some very different driving conditions. In North America, we have a lot of drivers that cross the border between the countries, and for the most part, try to align our practices with those of the US to allow for a more uniform approach.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Yes, we've been talking about connecting railroads for quite a while, as well.

In the past, I've had to clean up from new editors who connected them thinking that would help get better traffic data (if the end point of a navigation is on that road, then it might affect directions depending on train schedule).

I'm glad that your communication was the impetus for Yigal to make it happen. It'd be nice if he had done something similar with the other non-vehicle segment types (e.g. Walking Trail) as well. Apparently those will still be routable.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Other ped types are routable on purpose because in many locations, the actual street and address of a residence or business is a non-driveable segment. We still want Waze to route to the correct address location.
That sounds great! Too bad there isn't a routing instruction to "Park and continue on foot" when it comes to such a junction.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by hmarian
Waze will not route on Railroads.
My understanding it is not penalty it is hard codded.
I believe it doesn't matter if you restrict the turns or not, therefore I rather have everything allowed and not seeing red turns.
I agree with Kris to keep connecting them. They are adding value traffic data to the roads they cross.

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by hmarian
Make sense @doctorkb.
I can't find the reference I saw, I thin kit was in one of the US forums.

Anyway - This mismatch between the Wiki was discussed in the US forum - viewtopic.php?f=129&t=148501

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by hmarian
Wiki in the US is asking to have railroads as two way.

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:From testing of railroads, there is no known situation under which Waze will route to or from such a segment. Although I only tested up to where the nearest available road segment was > 1mi away. Even then Waze picked the nearest road segment and not the RR. According to Waze, railroads are not included in the segments available to the routing server to even consider. A "infinite penalty" as it were.

Other ped types are routable on purpose because in many locations, the actual street and address of a residence or business is a non-driveable segment. We still want Waze to route to the correct address location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on this the turn restrictions into and out of a railroad segment (from/to a driveable segment) are irrelevant and will not change anything. Correct?

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
The wiki will need an update.
Right now it ask to make all turns to and from railroads at the crossing restricted.

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by phil-mtl
My understanding is that the US Road Types wiki page guidelines are the most up-to-date on the topic, but I'd be curious to know what the champs think. This could also be discussed next weekend at the meetup!
phil-mtl
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c6s.png
Local Champ - Canada
Based in Montreal, Quebec