New Parking Project

Post by
Waze is in the planing phase of a new project that will make an overhaul to the way we set and use parking, as part of our navigation. The new planned feature will improve the end of the navigation, where everyone park their cars and the start of the navigation, where users enter their parked car and starting a new trip.

While the details are not yet made public, starting next week Waze will begin making changes to get things started and as a first step it will separate the "Parking Lot" category from all places where this category is being used in conjunction with other categories. So expect to see standalone parking places popping in WME.

What you should do? At this stage not much and we will provide more details as it become available.
The only practical suggestion I will make is to refrain from creating new places where the Parking Lot category is used with a second category. If you need to create new Parking Lot place and you would normally add a secondary category, or possibly add Parking Lot as a secondary category, please create a separate place for each.

Once available I will provide additional information in this thread regarding this project.

POSTER_ID:170262

Send a message

Post by Aztek985
A couple providers that could be usefully added to the list.

Canada Wide Parking Inc.

Compark

Also ... City of London owns and manages numerous lots around the city's core. I'm not sure if it would qualify for the list or not.
Aztek985
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Aztek985
I'm unable to find much information on Canada Wide Parking Inc., their website is not very user friendly. Definitely couldn't find anything showing the location of their lots.
Canada Wide Parking Inc. wrote:The company’s main office is located in Toronto where we oversee the operation of over 115+ Parking Facilities.. Other parking facilities owned or operated by our company are located in Montreal, London, Hamilton, Kitchener, and Kingston to name a few.

We specialize in the management, leasing, ownership and development of parking facilities. Operations have expanded in many major cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton, Burlington, London, Kitchener, and Kingston with total locations nearing 115+ throughout. Our experiences in operations include offices, hotels, residential properties, medical facilities, universities, government facilities, and sports & entertainment arenas.
As for the City of London, information pertaining to downtown parking here. Map and lot information here.
City of London wrote:The City of London manages approximately 20% of available parking downtown with 20 Municipal Parking Lots available to the public.
Aztek985
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Aztek985 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by BryceCampbell
When the PL project is deployed, for lots like Park and Rides that have different areas (A Lot, B Lot, C Lot) used to help drivers/users find their cars, are we going to map as such or just one big blanket?
BryceCampbell
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by BryceCampbell
Diamond Parking Services is needed in the dropdown.

Thanks.
BryceCampbell
Send a message

Post by BryceCampbell
Will also need

'City of White Rock' -- they have a number of lots they manage and administer

and "WestPark" -- https://www.westpark.com/
BryceCampbell
Send a message

Post by BryceCampbell
hmarian wrote:
BryceCampbell wrote:Will also need

'City of White Rock' -- they have a number of lots they manage and administer

and "WestPark" -- https://www.westpark.com/
WestPark exist, or requested by someone without a reply here.
I'm a little hesitant about "City of White Rock" as they have only 3 locations, and it doesn't make them to be a significant operator to be listed in my mind.
Ok thats fine -- so just place the White Rock lots without a provider?
BryceCampbell
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
As a follow-up, parts of this have started to be deployed, albeit in a way that is not improving the map.

For the time being, please do not change your editing practice, and close any of the "Parking lot mapped as point not area" Map Problems as "Not Identified", and do no action upon them.

We will let you know as soon as there's a change in this approach.

Thanks!
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
hmarian wrote:
BryceCampbell wrote:Diamond Parking Services is needed in the dropdown.

Thanks.
Can you please send a reference to this parking operator website, so it will be possible to determine the size of it.
Diamond Parking is similar size to Impark.

http://www.diamondparking.ca/
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
My view on it is if they have parking enforcement people that have uniforms (small companies wouldn't bother with uniforms), then they should be added to the provider list.

We could use other criteria, too... but that's a start.

I'm ok adding companies that manage as few as a half-dozen or so lots.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
hmarian wrote:I thought of a much bigger number than half a dozen.
If we had been consulted on design, I probably would have suggested it be a free-form box with some auto-fill.

I don't see any reason to limit it other than to say that single-location situations (e.g. a large mall) don't count as "providers".

Just as with gas stations, as long as they're a bona fide provider, they should be listed.
doctorkb
Send a message