Manual turn guidance: "Continue"

Post by Nagamasa
One of the most requested features of Waze is the "continue" prompt.

I'm proposing we place the "continue" prompt into a variety of scenarios where the re-assurance is appropriate, and is not given by exiting turn/keep prompts.

1) The best continuation to/from a ramp or freeway segment from/to a different road type, when there are other turns available. These are often signed by a forward arrow on roadside signs.
Examples:
ON:
Woodbine / Hwy 404 DVP / Lake Shore Trafalgar P&R @ Hwy 407 BC:
Alderbrige / 91
Counter example:
2) 403 / Center View '
99 / Sea Island Way

2) International border crossings
The majority of North Americans do not carry enough ID to successfuly cross the border, and these "blind" drivers. It's best to give reassurance that they will be crossing the border at the "point of no return".

4) Upon entering a tolled segment as the best continuation (i.e., "Toll Road" would have never been announced).
Rationale: Because "Avoid toll roads" is merely a penalty, it is good to inform the user that wherever they will continue to next is tolled. In San Francisco, there is no un-tolled method going westbound across the San Francisco Bay, except for driving around the Bay. We often get URs saying "toll booth" or "WTFBBQ no one toll me it wasn't tolled". Informing users before the point of no-return at least gives them a chance to re-route themselves.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=66786381

5) The BC from one freeway to another freeway.
It gives better context as to where the list of instructions (and exit number) is representing. I propose this instruction is given either at the merge, or the last exit where the continuing freeway name is signed
> Hwy 402,8,416,Douglas Pky, 2A @ Hwy 401
- Hwy 11 @ Hwy 400
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager

POSTER_ID:16887370

Send a message
Last edited by Nagamasa on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://s.waze.tools/c3s.png
AM4: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM4: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Nagamasa wrote:One of the most requested features of Waze is the "continue" prompt.

2) International border crossings
The majority of North Americans do not carry enough ID to successfuly cross the border, and these "blind" drivers. It's best to give reassurance that they will be crossing the border at the "point of no return".
I fully support, I have commonly seen update requests along the US/Canada border from drivers not knowing they are entering the USA.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by doctorkb
I strongly believe we need to avoid abuse of the "continue" instruction. By all factors, "continue" could be used at every junction, where it would quickly lose value.

As for drivers that can't see the big green signs warning them of the upcoming border control... they should be handing in their drivers licenses. Having Waze is not a replacement for being capable of driving.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by mtylerb
I don't think there's much of any standard at the moment. The ability to edit turn directions is brand new and the "continue" is not present yet in production WME. It's been removed until the app supports it. However, from speaking with the champs, I've been advised that the use of these "continue" directions should be sparse. We don't want to inundate the user with "continue" commands while driving. Just where there's a very obvious confusion in the directions given in Waze or the street signs.
mtylerb
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
Continue is still in the options, however It is still not prompting as of this date.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by Trexer0
Is there a lock standard we are using for these?
Treat just like restricted turns?
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message